White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-11-2013, 07:46 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,591
Default OFFICIAL - 2013-14 Off-Season Wheeling and Dealing Thread

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...nd-joe-nathan/
Now if only they can shore up the rest of that 'pen.
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 AM
PaleHoser PaleHoser is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 946
Default Joe Nathan to Tigers?

Link

Ugh.
__________________
"It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:35 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,179
Blog Entries: 5
Default Phillies sign Byrd; 2 years, $16 million

First domino falls

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...9053--mlb.html
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2013, 12:15 PM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
First domino falls

l[/URL]
More like first bird to leave the roost.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-18-2013, 11:49 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,179
Blog Entries: 5
Default Phillies resign Ruiz, 3 years, $26 million + option

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...8744--mlb.html

Storyline A (at least here): One less veteran catcher on the market

Storyline B: WHAT THE **** ARE THE PHILLIES DOING!?!?!?!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-18-2013, 12:12 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...8744--mlb.html

Storyline A (at least here): One less veteran catcher on the market

Storyline B: WHAT THE **** ARE THE PHILLIES DOING!?!?!?!
The Phillies are a symptom, not the cause. Revenues in baseball are so high with television deals now that they have to send the extra money somewhere. Since it's not going to go to a significantly less expensive fan experience, the agents know that extra revenue is there and they're going to hold out for it. The Phillies are just quicker to dish it out. But this is the new market.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-18-2013, 12:26 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,179
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The Phillies are a symptom, not the cause. Revenues in baseball are so high with television deals now that they have to send the extra money somewhere. Since it's not going to go to a significantly less expensive fan experience, the agents know that extra revenue is there and they're going to hold out for it. The Phillies are just quicker to dish it out. But this is the new market.
It's not even the money, which seems ridiculously high anyway, but if there's one team in the league that needs to get younger and cheaper, it's them. They already signed Byrd this off-season so coming into today, they had 8 players signed for $127 million in 2014. Assuming the payouts are relatively even for Ruiz, that's $133ish million for 9 players. Complete insanity.

Plus, he's going to be 35 years old when the season starts and has seen his innings played drop from 1052 in 2011 to 856 in 2012 and 745 in 2013.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-18-2013, 01:37 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
It's not even the money, which seems ridiculously high anyway, but if there's one team in the league that needs to get younger and cheaper, it's them. They already signed Byrd this off-season so coming into today, they had 8 players signed for $127 million in 2014. Assuming the payouts are relatively even for Ruiz, that's $133ish million for 9 players. Complete insanity.

Plus, he's going to be 35 years old when the season starts and has seen his innings played drop from 1052 in 2011 to 856 in 2012 and 745 in 2013.
I agree, for them it does make the least sense.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-20-2013, 10:51 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,179
Blog Entries: 5
Default

OK, I merged all the threads about FA/trade speculation and news, we probably don't need a new one for every single minor signing..

And in that spirit, the Orioles are apparently kicking the tires on Gavin Floyd:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...vin-floyd.html
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-20-2013, 12:09 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 26,004
Default

David Murphy to the Indians per a leak from his little girl at her daycare center.

Sounds legit since it happened nowhere near the baggage claim at the Phoenix Airport and did not involve Kenny Williams.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-20-2013, 12:54 PM
MeteorsSox4367 MeteorsSox4367 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In a Midway flight pattern
Posts: 3,876
Default

ESPN.com reporting that Josh Johnson will sign a 1-year, $8 million contract with San Diego.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
ESPN.com reporting that Josh Johnson will sign a 1-year, $8 million contract with San Diego.
Damn. He would have been a good candidate to pickup on a one year deal and trade for a piece if he put it back together.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-20-2013, 04:05 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,179
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Damn. He would have been a good candidate to pickup on a one year deal and trade for a piece if he put it back together.
I agree, plus there's a nice option in the deal that if Johnson doesn't make I think 10 starts this upcoming season, the Padres can have him back for 2015 at $4 million. Really creative deal that's good for Johnson and good for the team that rewards both sides for not pushing him too hard through rehab.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I agree, plus there's a nice option in the deal that if Johnson doesn't make I think 10 starts this upcoming season, the Padres can have him back for 2015 at $4 million. Really creative deal that's good for Johnson and good for the team that rewards both sides for not pushing him too hard through rehab.
Yeah...he was my darkhorse free agent signing too. I picked him going to us on the top 50 contest thing mlbtraderumors has going on.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-20-2013, 07:07 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,960
Default

Fielder-for-Kinsler trade being discussed...whoa.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...medium=twitter

EDIT: Trade has been agreed to, but negotiations remain.

http://t.co/9D3YUw36G5
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.

Last edited by DSpivack; 11-20-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.