White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 03:26 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post
Jury is still out on him and he's an unproven commodity. We gave up Santiago who is a good young pitcher under team control for a few more years.
That's what happens when you acquire young talent, you're not going to get a guy like Mike Trout or Bryce Harper whose super young and also super proven in the Majors, and not especially when the best piece of bait you have to dangle is a guy like Hector Santiago, who the jury is still out on whether or not he'll even be a starter in the Majors.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Eaton (25) Garcia (22) solid CF/RF young combo....

DeAza and Viciedo will either platoon or be EASILY moved.....lot of clubs like both players..
I don't think Viciedo is going anywhere, but I could be wrong. I thought the Sox might move Santiago, and dealing for Eaton is an interesting move, although most fans won't be impressed because they don't know much about him. Sometimes I've seen Eaton, and he's looked great, but other times not so much. He's only shown flashes of the ballplayer he looked like he could be in Reno. But he looked like a can't-miss star in Reno. His superior minor-league on-base percentage was based in solid hitting, which is impressive. That might disappoint people who are big fans of walks.

The trick to building a winning team is to find young players who have great things ahead of them. The players with great things behind them are so much more expensive, and, more often than not, they don't give you as much as they've done before you got them, which is what you're paying for. Eaton and a couple of Garcias have a chance to be kids who can play.

Eaton has a chance to be a great pickup.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
We overpaid for Eaton. Jury is still out on him and he's an unproven commodity. We gave up Santiago who is a good young pitcher under team control for a few more years.

Should've gotten more than just Eaton and a PTBNL.
What exactly has Santiago proven? If he was Cy Young caliber, I would understand this line of thinking...but he isn't. He's a middle to end of rotation pitcher with a little over 200 innings pitched in the majors. Yes, he's cost controlled, but so is Eaton. I don't know what else you would expect the Sox to get for him.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-10-2013, 03:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard6king6 View Post
Anyone know Eatons contract details?
Last year he made $491,000. Should get a slight raise.

He only has 380 PA's over 2 years and has 1.030 years of service time so his first arbitration year would be fall of 2015 (not enough time for super-two) and he'd hit free agency in fall of 2018.

I think it was a bit too steep a price (depends on if that PTBNL coming here or being sent away) but this surely is the kind of player the Sox should be trading for: great minor league numbers, MLB ready and cost controlled for a number of years.
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I don't think Viciedo is going anywhere, but I could be wrong. I thought the Sox might move Santiago, and dealing for Eaton is an interesting move, although most fans won't be impressed because they don't know much about him. Sometimes I've seen Eaton, and he's looked great, but other times not so much. He's only shown flashes of the ballplayer he looked like he could be in Reno. But he looked like a can't-miss star in Reno. His superior minor-league on-base percentage was based in solid hitting, which is impressive. That might disappoint people who are big fans of walks.

The trick to building a winning team is to find young players who have great things ahead of them. The players with great things behind them are so much more expensive, and, more often than not, they don't give you as much as they've done before you got them, which is what you're paying for. Eaton and a couple of Garcias have a chance to be kids who can play.

Eaton has a chance to be a great pickup.
Oh, for ****'s sake, get over yourself, there isn't anybody who PREFERS a walk to a hit, there are just people who are smart enough to realize a walk is better than an out. Jesus ****ing Christ.
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Let's see the whole trade. Interested to see if we got or gave up another prospect...

So when do we move De Aza or Viciedo?
Please let it be Viciedo.

Bob
Old 12-10-2013, 03:29 PM
WSI Personality

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
We think the players are mediocre until they are traded, and then all of a sudden they are invaluable assets and overvalued. I think this was a great deal. A young cost controlled CF'er that may be primed to break out? Yes please.
100% on the money post! The Sox were desperate for a CF and got him. Much better than signing Granderson or some other over priced free agent. Now please move DeAza for a catcher and try to find a third baseman.Things are looking up.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:30 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
What exactly has Santiago proven? If h was Cy Young caliber, I would understand this line of thinking...but he isn't. He's a middle to end of rotation pitcher. Yes, he's cost controlled, but so is Eaton. I don't know what else you would expect the Sox to get for him.
The idea that Santiago is a proven starter is still a stretch, the guy started 23 games last year and barely averaged 5 2/3 IP in those starts (while providing a solid near 1.400 WHIP). If Eaton is an unproven everyday commodity, Hector is certainly an unproven SP commodity, as well. It's very possible his career will be best spent in the bullpen.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

How many years until we can realistically expect Courtney Hawkins to make it to the majors and is he still projected a CF? He's only 20 years old now but if he can develop and be called up in a few years there could be a very nice young future outfield with Hawkins, Eaton, and Garcia.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

I love getting Eaton in the deal....I thought we could have gotten a bit more than an unproven player for a LH starter though?

I thought the Angels did well in this trade getting Skaggs and Santiago.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 12-10-2013, 03:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
What exactly has Santiago proven? If h was Cy Young caliber, I would understand this line of thinking...but he isn't. He's a middle to end of rotation pitcher. Yes, he's cost controlled, but so is Eaton. I don't know what else you would expect the Sox to get for him.
Notice the word "good" when I described Santiago? I never said he was great or proven. He's a good young pitcher with major league experience and some success at the ML level who is controlled until 2017. He needs to command a little more of a return than a mostly unknown outfielder.

There's a reason a contender like the Angels were falling all over themselves trying to get Santiago. They offered us Howie Kendrick before they got the Diamondbacks involved. They see the value in good young LHP. Apparently we do not see the value when trading said pitcher.

Last edited by Thome25; 12-10-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:35 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
Now please move DeAza for a catcher and try to find a third baseman.Things are looking up.

Either him or Viciedo will go. No chance this Sox team carries bench players making that kind of money.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:37 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
How many years until we can realistically expect Courtney Hawkins to make it to the majors and is he still projected a CF? He's only 20 years old now but if he can develop and be called up in a few years there could be a very nice young future outfield with Hawkins, Eaton, and Garcia.
Hawkins was an absolute disaster last season so even the most optimistic projection probably still has him 3-4 years away from the Majors
Old 12-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Notice the word "good" when I described Santiago? I never said he was great or proven. He's a good young pitcher with major league experience and some success at the ML level who is controlled until 2017. He needs to command a little more of a return than a mostly unknown outfielder.
Well, when you use the word unproven for Eaton, and then mention how Santiago was a good young pitcher, kinda hard not to assume you considered Santiago a proven commodity, which he isn't...same as Eaton. So again, how many players do you think a pitcher with 224 innings and one full season in the majors would command in a trade?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Hawkins was an absolute disaster last season so even the most optimistic projection probably still has him 3-4 years away from the Majors
Thanks yeah I see he batted .178 at Winston-Salem. Ouch!