White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default The 1st time in a few years I'm excited for the upcoming season

Not sure who else feels this way? But I find myself looking forward to Sox games this year. I'll be honest..I have not been overly excited about a Sox season since 2006 or 2007. Even in years we were predicted to contend (2010, 2011) I always felt I was watching an aging team that I knew was on the decline.

This is the first year I'm antsy for the season to start. While I do not necessarily feel we will contend...I'm looking forward to watching the team play and I feel we will improve year to year for a while as we have a younger team now with some talent.

Who else feels this way? I'm glad to be into the White Sox again.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1972 View Post
Not sure who else feels this way? But I find myself looking forward to Sox games this year. I'll be honest..I have not been overly excited about a Sox season since 2006 or 2007. Even in years we were predicted to contend (2010, 2011) I always felt I was watching an aging team that I knew was on the decline.

This is the first year I'm antsy for the season to start. While I do not necessarily feel we will contend...I'm looking forward to watching the team play and I feel we will improve year to year for a while as we have a younger team now with some talent.

Who else feels this way? I'm glad to be into the White Sox again.
Me too!

Last season was unwatchable. Glad Hahn got what we all wanted, some quality young talent that we can watch develop into the next batch of stars for the Sox.

We still need a better catcher and one more reliever, and they need to deal one of Viciedo or De Aza (my money's on Viciedo) and we'll be set for an exciting season.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Still have some work to do but with Avi Garcia, Abreu, Davidson, and Eaton added to the mix I am excited for the season as well.

Still need a catcher (or is Nieto going to be given the chance to start the year) and need to find a way to dump the donkey.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 PM
WSI High Priest

There are finally players, besides Sale, worth getting excited about on this team. The young guys will need to grow properly, but that is what I am looking forward to this season.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 PM
WSI High Priest

I won't say excited, though I'm definitely more interested.

I think this team will be battling the Twins for 4th in the AL Central once again this season, but with a lot more long-term potential then the 2013 team had.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

You always have a shot in this division and the Tigers got weaker so things could get interesting.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 PM
WSI Guru

I feel the same way. 91 days til Opening Day!
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI Regular

It wasn't the losing that killed me last year - as a Sox fan - I've had a few of those season, but it was the lifelessness.

Glad to see the young talent added - looking forward to Eaton maybe more than the others - to inject life into the games.

Go Sox!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:55 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I want a new starting catcher. Otherwise, I'm more excited than I've been in a long while. I don't have any clue who that catcher is, I just don't want to see Flowers on the lineup card day 1.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
and need to find a way to dump the donkey.

You make it sound like a difficult task to accomplish.

All hail The Rick
Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I want a new starting catcher. Otherwise, I'm more excited than I've been in a long while. I don't have any clue who that catcher is, I just don't want to see Flowers on the lineup card day 1.
Interesting comment from Nieto's agent re Nieto.
The linked article is for subscribers but the comments are open. Scroll toward the bottom.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...commentMessage
Old 12-30-2013, 11:02 AM
WSI High Priest

For the first time in a long time I feel like the Sox have a clue and a plan. The Kenny Williams era got dreadful. I mean, from an unbiased perspective, is there anyone alive in terms of baseball GM's with his luck of catching lightning in a bottle once? The man's career sans 1 incredible season was really subpar as a GM. His drafts produced nothing, he pretty much broke even in trades, and had a reputation for being stale bread - Build an 83 win teams and hope they over achieve, every year -. But 1 year, 2005, it all came together. Contreras found it, Freddy found it, the bullpen pitched above their abilities, about everything went right. The team made the playoffs 1 time since the world series, winning 1 game.

Because of that, he got promoted almost 10 years later to president. Something that rarely happens to GMs, and even more rare GM's with 1 world title.

Enter Rick Hahn. After a handwash season, he has been putting his signature on this team. Last year, we had a team of lazy players who could not play defense. That feels gone. We should have a solid defensive team this year. We got players known for playing hard.

It should atleast be FUN to watch White Sox baseball.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's difficult to get excited until I know for sure Adam Dunn is gone from this team. He's just an energy black hole. It's been awful since the day we signed him. The guy just doesn't help teams win. The day he's gone, people need to read the signing thread of his and see how ridiculous they acted.
But there is some youth and talent on the horizon.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
It's difficult to get excited until I know for sure Adam Dunn is gone from this team. He's just an energy black hole. It's been awful since the day we signed him. The guy just doesn't help teams win. The day he's gone, people need to read the signing thread of his and see how ridiculous they acted.
But there is some youth and talent on the horizon.
Nope. Not ridiculous at all. Had he posted the same .900 OPS with the Sox as he had his entire career until then, all the excitement would have been totally justified.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Nope. Not ridiculous at all. Had he posted the same .900 OPS with the Sox as he had his entire career until then, all the excitement would have been totally justified.
I know its easy to bash Dunn, but his offensive WAR was not even in the bottom half of our hitters. He did not do much to help (1 WAR), but we had a bunch of other positions in much worse shape. Granted, for the money he ate up, we need more, but Hahn did this right, addressing the biggest need positions.

Defensively, our OF was pathetic last year. The 3 OF (counting Rios) combined for a -4.5 defensive WAR. The real blackhole we need removed to some extent is Tank. He either needs to step up defensively or offensively, but he is pretty much one of the worst starting LF in all of baseball.