White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 11:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

Because of that, he got promoted almost 10 years later to president. Something that rarely happens to GMs, and even more rare GM's with 1 world title.
But not in our division....see Shaprio, Mark, with zero world titles.
It was time for a new GM, but Williams is a good baseball guy and we have a strong upper management team.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:26 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I want a new starting catcher. Otherwise, I'm more excited than I've been in a long while. I don't have any clue who that catcher is, I just don't want to see Flowers on the lineup card day 1.

i want a starting catcher that can throw
Old 12-30-2013, 03:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Nope. Not ridiculous at all. Had he posted the same .900 OPS with the Sox as he had his entire career until then, all the excitement would have been totally justified.
So we would have won the division and gone to playoffs if he did that? I don't think so. I think nothing would have changed. He's another Chicago sports figure that people try to use stats to justify the fact that this team hasn't really been close to contention. I'm sure though that he's working out and getting in shape for the upcoming season. He's probably working on shortening his swing and making contact to drive in more 2 strike rbis.

I really hope our infield can hit and our outfield starts having .300/25/100 guys.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
So we would have won the division and gone to playoffs if he did that? I don't think so. I think nothing would have changed. He's another Chicago sports figure that people try to use stats to justify the fact that this team hasn't really been close to contention. I'm sure though that he's working out and getting in shape for the upcoming season. He's probably working on shortening his swing and making contact to drive in more 2 strike rbis.

I really hope our infield can hit and our outfield starts having .300/25/100 guys.
So wait, say Dunn lived up to his prime numbers, 260-40-100-.900....

If the Sox missed the playoffs when he did that, you would blame him?!?!? Not Konerko (the worst player on the team last year), not Beckham, not De Aza and his 19 extra runs allowed in CF, not Tank and his being one of the worst LF in all of baseball... But Dunn and his .900 OPS??

I do agree, not a lot would change. The Sox would still need 2 new OF (assuming Rios is kept) and 2 new IF, plus a C. But, yes, having an MVP caliber bat hitting 3 for the Sox would, infact, put them closer to contending.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I disagree. I think we would have won the division in 2012 if he had done that.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 12-30-2013, 03:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
Still have some work to do but with Avi Garcia, Abreu, Davidson, and Eaton added to the mix I am excited for the season as well.

Still need a catcher (or is Nieto going to be given the chance to start the year) and need to find a way to dump the donkey.
Yep! If the Sox pick up a catcher and get rid of Dunn, I will be making my way to Laughlin in February to bet the Sox. Last time I did was in 2005--and we all know how that turned out!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Icon11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
So wait, say Dunn lived up to his prime numbers, 260-40-100-.900....

If the Sox missed the playoffs when he did that, you would blame him?!?!? Not Konerko (the worst player on the team last year), not Beckham, not De Aza and his 19 extra runs allowed in CF, not Tank and his being one of the worst LF in all of baseball... But Dunn and his .900 OPS??

I do agree, not a lot would change. The Sox would still need 2 new OF (assuming Rios is kept) and 2 new IF, plus a C. But, yes, having an MVP caliber bat hitting 3 for the Sox would, infact, put them closer to contending.
Dunn is worthless, no matter his stats. He had a distinction to be higher on this list faster than any mlb player outside of santo. Although I think Rios has a shot. And Dunn should NEVER be in the 3 slot. He's a vortex of outs and doesn't produce enough for that spot. He was on pace for the worst season in mlb history until he was benched by Ozzie. You put him on your team and you just guaranteed you are losing. I'm convinced putting him on yankees murders row and they miss the playoffs too. He's another great white whale in Chicago sports. It's depressing.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Dunn is worthless, no matter his stats.
/credibilityofargument

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Dunn is worthless, no matter his stats.
Yeah. That makes sense. if you don't like Dunn, that's fine. But to say he's worthless no matter what his stats are is ridiculous.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-30-2013, 06:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Yeah. That makes sense. if you don't like Dunn, that's fine. But to say he's worthless no matter what his stats are is ridiculous.
I'd rather have players with awful stats that win than great meaningless stats that lose. Just win, something Dunn has no clue about.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
I'd rather have players with awful stats that win than great meaningless stats that lose. Just win, something Dunn has no clue about.
Yeah, because only one player determines if a team wins or loses. Again, makes sense. No matter your opinion of Dunn being a loser, his mere presence on the team wasn't the reason this team lost 99 games this past season.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:49 PM
WSI Regular

To me this feels a lot like the off season between the dismal 106 loss 1970 team and the more exciting 1971 team. We weren't big contenders in '71 but we made some strides and were much more interesting to watch. Like Roland Hemond did in that off season Hahn has dumped some aging veterans and brought in some youth which should create excitement. I, too, like the direction he has taken. I don't expect a worst to first scenario but I do expect the team to be better and the enthusiasm the players generate to carry over to the stands. Hopefully we'll see a change in the draft where we pick the best available baseball player and not just the best athlete. I'd also like to see our minor league system ignore the standings and develop players in all aspects of the game. Teach the fundamentals so they become second nature and the standings will take care of themselves and maybe we can finally bring up players who are mlb ready instead of trying to teach them at the big league level.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
It wasn't the losing that killed me last year - as a Sox fan - I've had a few of those season, but it was the lifelessness.

Glad to see the young talent added - looking forward to Eaton maybe more than the others - to inject life into the games.

Go Sox!
I could not have said this better. Having hope for the future to me is just as important as the team winning today. Even in 2006, 2008 when we had some good teams..I was never excited for the future as I knew we were an aging team.

Even if the Sox finish under .500 again..I think we'll improve at least 12 - 15 wins. I also think this will be the first year in a while our team gets better and I also predict a rise in attendance the next few seasons.

We had great seasons in the past...1991, 1993, 1994, 2000, 2005, etc WITHOUT Bacardi at the Park, the ballparks complete renovations..the new station, the new bars around the area, etc.

I feel we are entering an era again when going to Sox games will be a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Dan Marino sucks, Trent Dilfer rules, eh? The mantra of horrible sports radio callers everywhere! "This guy doesn't know how to win!" Just awesome. It's right up there with "You never played the game, so you have no right to an opinion." The last time I heard that one and asked if Vin Scully was allowed an opinion, you know what I got from the poster to whom I was responding? Crickets. Shocker.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:55 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Dan Marino sucks, Trent Dilfer rules, eh? The mantra of horrible sports radio callers everywhere! "This guy doesn't know how to win!" Just awesome. It's right up there with "You never played the game, so you have no right to an opinion." The last time I heard that one and asked if Vin Scully was allowed an opinion, you know what I got from the poster to whom I was responding? Crickets. Shocker.
Butkus and Sayers come to mind, too.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.