White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 05:06 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
I honestly don't see how the BBWAA could keep the Big Hurt out of the HOF this year. He is one of 4 players in MLB history with a .300 career BA, 500 HR, 1600 RBI and 1600 BB. The others? Babe Ruth, Ted Williams and Mel Ott
Can we get this printed on the ballots so these genius' don't screw this up?? The Big Man going in first ballot is a no brainer...
Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroMaster87 View Post
Can we get this printed on the ballots so these genius' don't screw this up?? The Big Man going in first ballot is a no brainer...
Based on the "returns" I have seen on the internet from writers who have made their ballot public, it looks like Frank is going to get in (along with Glavine and Maddux, maybe Biggio).

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-04-2014, 04:45 PM
WSI Personality

Glavine was listed on 97% of the submitted ballots?

I know it's a feel-good story to induct Bobby Cox, Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine together at once, but can a guy who wasn't even considered the #1 starter on his own team be a first-ballot Hall of Famer?

Before I get flamed, answer one question. Given the choice, would you want Tom Glavine or Randy Johnson as your left-handed starter for a must-win game?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post

I know it's a feel-good story to induct Bobby Cox, Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine together at once, but can a guy who wasn't even considered the #1 starter on his own team be a first-ballot Hall of Famer?

Before I get flamed, answer one question. Given the choice, would you want Tom Glavine or Randy Johnson as your left-handed starter for a must-win game?
Why would that even matter? Is not like this is a choice between Glavine and Johnson on the ballot. Glavine is a worthy HOFer. And the whole "is he a first ballot HOFer" argument is ridiculous IMO. Either you're a Hall of Famer, or you're not.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
They're accurate barometers of popularity and that's about it.
Maybe the statheads can figure out a formula for adjusting All-Star voting for the size of the fan base. New York players always have a huge leg up on the competition.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Glavine grew up in Boston, though we know reporters don't take such things into account.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post

He was the number one starter on their team for awhile before Maddux went to Atlanta.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Glavine is a 300 game winner. He might be the last ever. /discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 01-06-2014, 12:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
IMO Glavine is a first ballot selection. But it's funny how certain milestone numbers seemingly guarantee HOF status. Bert Blyleven finished with 287 wins and it took him forever to get it. Jim Kaat had 283 and he's got no chance. Had Kaat averaged a mere three fourths of a win more per year during his long career he would have reached 300 wins and may have gotten in.

300 wins, 500 homers or 3000 hits (unless tainted by steroids) are numbers which punch your ticket to Cooperstown. Adam Dunn may be the first to break that mold.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

How many Cy Young's for Blyleven and Kaat?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Based on the "returns" I have seen on the internet from writers who have made their ballot public, it looks like Frank is going to get in (along with Glavine and Maddux, maybe Biggio).
All you have to do is say, "is Frank Thomas better than Ron Santo?" If you're answer is YES... then he should be a HOFer!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
They only awarded one Cy until 1967.

Kaat would have won the Cy in 1966. 25 wins. Led the league in innings.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Randy Johnson won his 300th game two years after Glavine.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I think you missed my point (or it was unclear). I'm not arguing that Kaat deserves to be in or that Kaat was better than Glavine. Had Kaat won 300 games -- even without a Cy Young Award to his credit -- he likely would have made it to the HOF because certain milestones (e.g. 300 wins) seem to be guaranteed ticket punchers to Cooperstown.

FWIW, both Don Sutton and Phil Neikro have over 300 wins and did not win a Cy Young Award. Both are members of the HOF. IMO as long as you reach the magic number, you're in the HOF. But if you get really, really close, but fall short (like Kaat), no guarantee you make it.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I think you missed my point (or it was unclear). I'm not arguing that Kaat deserves to be in or that Kaat was better than Glavine. Had Kaat won 300 games -- even without a Cy Young Award to his credit -- he likely would have made it to the HOF because certain milestones (e.g. 300 wins) seem to be guaranteed ticket punchers to Cooperstown.

FWIW, both Don Sutton and Phil Neikro have over 300 wins and did not win a Cy Young Award. Both are members of the HOF. IMO as long as you reach the magic number, you're in the HOF. But if you get really, really close, but fall short (like Kaat), no guarantee you make it.
I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that's the only reason Glavine was first ballot. You're right though, 300 is a lock.