White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 02:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Frank is almost up to 92%. He's a lock. I couldn't be happier for the big guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 01-06-2014, 02:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Saw a story today that Frank and Maddux were the only two candidates to be on the ballots of the 17 ESPN writers with a vote.

I've been obsessively following Darren Viola on Twitter for the last week watching the ballots get posted. I was worried it was going to be close, but I agree with you. He's a lock.

Time to start planning the trip!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
Saw a story today that Frank and Maddux were the only two candidates to be on the ballots of the 17 ESPN writers with a vote.

I've been obsessively following Darren Viola on Twitter for the last week watching the ballots get posted. I was worried it was going to be close, but I agree with you. He's a lock.

Time to start planning the trip!
My dad and I have been talking about it since he retired. I've also wanted to go to Fenway most of my life, so we might fly into Boston, rent a car and drive to Cooperstown, then drive back to Boston and catch a Red Sox game before flying back. (unfortunately the Red Sox only come back home after the inductions)

EDIT: Or we might drive to Cooperstown, jaunt over to Boston for a day or two and Fenway, then drive back and hit Cleveland (we've never been to the Jake) on the way back.

Last edited by SephClone89; 01-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I didn't think Frank would get in on the 1st ballot, but 92% is pretty impressive, with 25% of the votes accounted for. However, he is far from a lock.

According to BBTF, Frank Thomas has appeared on 134 of the 145 ballots that are now public.

With 25.5% of the votes accounted for, there are roughly 424 ballots left (based on last year's numbers). That means Frank would still have to appear on about 293 of the remaining ballots (a little over 69%) in order to finish over 75%. There is still a long way to go, but he's doing way better than I expected. If he gets in, I'm making a trip to Cooperstown.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814
All you have to do is say, "is Frank Thomas better than Ron Santo?" If you're answer is YES... then he should be a HOFer!
This would be true if Frank needed the Veterans Committee to enshrine him. Remember, the writers didn't vote for Santo; I would bet that there are a lot of writers who feel that Santo doesn't belong in the Hall.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 PM
WSI Regular

Default Frank a unanimous HOF'er among ESPN writers

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...ll-fame-ballot

I was worried that he might get overlooked on a deep ballot, but that doesn't seem like it's going to be the case.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
I didn't think Frank would get in on the 1st ballot, but 92% is pretty impressive, with 25% of the votes accounted for. However, he is far from a lock.

According to BBTF, Frank Thomas has appeared on 134 of the 145 ballots that are now public.

With 25.5% of the votes accounted for, there are roughly 424 ballots left (based on last year's numbers). That means Frank would still have to appear on about 293 of the remaining ballots (a little over 69%) in order to finish over 75%. There is still a long way to go, but he's doing way better than I expected. If he gets in, I'm making a trip to Cooperstown.
There's no way he gets 92% on the first 25% reported and less than 70% on the remainder.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm expecting Big Hurt, Maddux, Glavine, and maybe Biggio to be announced.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 PM
WSI High Priest

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...02#post3103302
Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 AM
Banned

The indicators are all very strong for Frank getting in on the 1st ballot. We all know he deservesit.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
I'm expecting Big Hurt, Maddux, Glavine, and maybe Biggio to be announced.
That would be a great class. No need to worry about Maddux. I am wondering why people thought Glavine wouldn't be a lock. He has 305 wins, a 3.54 career ERA, 2 Cy Young Awards, four other top-3 Cy Young finishes (9th all-time in CY shares), 10x All-Star, and throw in a WS MVP award.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Greg Maddux will not be a unanimous Hall of Famer.

And no, it's not because of a voter strategically using a ballot spot to save a candidate in danger of falling off rather than propping up Maddux who's a sure-thing. It's not even of the stupid "won't vote anyone first ballot" school. It's even worse than that.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Greg Maddux will not be a unanimous Hall of Famer.

And no, it's not because of a voter strategically using a ballot spot to save a candidate in danger of falling off rather than propping up Maddux who's a sure-thing. It's not even of the stupid "won't vote anyone first ballot" school. It's even worse than that.
Yep, a meat-headed ignoramus. His rationale is the equivalent of Otter in Animal House:

Quote:
I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ignorant-ever/
Old 01-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Banned

Here's that mlb.com article where their writers show how they voted. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

It's worth mentioning that among their writers, Frank does not have enough votes to make it into the Hall, garnering only 64%.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Here's that mlb.com article where their writers show how they voted. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

It's worth mentioning that among their writers, Frank does not have enough votes to make it into the Hall, garnering only 64%.
Annoying, though it doesn't seem to be the trend so far. We'll see. There are some dumbass ballots there.