White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 01-07-2014, 12:29 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Annoying, though it doesn't seem to be the trend so far. We'll see. There are some dumbass ballots there.
Problem is, its mostly the realy dumbass ballots that don't get announced until after the vote is announced. I'm not liking the trend, it doesn't bode well.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 PM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Problem is, its mostly the realy dumbass ballots that don't get announced until after the vote is announced. I'm not liking the trend, it doesn't bode well.
The numbers only moved about 3-4% last year from the exit polls to the final vote.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
The numbers only moved about 3-4% last year from the exit polls to the final vote.
Yeah, but no one got voted in last year. It was a year when the good writers mostly agreed with the nut jobs.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:01 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,737
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yeah, but no one got voted in last year. It was a year when the good writers mostly agreed with the nut jobs.
Just wondering if you have any actual evidence to back any of this up
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:06 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Just wondering if you have any actual evidence to back any of this up
Evidence that no one got voted in last year? Yeah, here you go http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2013.shtml

edit: ah wait, you mean that the later writers are the crazier ones...no, that's just an impression. it seems like the worst ballots are known/criticized every year after the official vote is known.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount prospect
Posts: 4,361
Default

LOL at the writer from LA who won't vote for anyone who played in the steroid era. It's because of morons like him that this whole process is a joke.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,426
Default

If neither Ripken, nor Maddux is getting in unanimously because voters are that vindictive of the Steroid Era, that's pretty messed up. Not everyone is guilty by association, but that's apparently not good enough for some people.
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 18,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
LOL at the writer from LA who won't vote for anyone who played in the steroid era. It's because of morons like him that this whole process is a joke.
Yep. MLB just sitting by and allowing the circus to go on like this is disgraceful. People are voting like *******s so that people will think "This guy is an *******!" and click on the link to said *******'s article explaining why he/she intentionally voted like an *******.

Tear this whole ****ing process apart. Let former players and coaches only vote.
__________________
Rock over London. Rock on, Chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:50 PM
sox1970 sox1970 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Yep. MLB just sitting by and allowing the circus to go on like this is disgraceful. People are voting like *******s so that people will think "This guy is an *******!" and click on the link to said *******'s article explaining why he/she intentionally voted like an *******.

Tear this whole ****ing process apart. Let former players and coaches only vote.
They would do a worse job, guarantee it.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:55 PM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 15,178
Default

Quote:
JIM BOWDEN
‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
Ken Gurnick just told us that he’ll abstain from Hall of Fame voting going forward. He will not vote again. Sirius 209 XM 89

JIM BOWDEN
‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
Ken Gurnick told us one of the reasons he will never vote again is that he would NOT have voted for Mariano Rivera either b/c of era XM 89
Wow.
__________________


"See you on a dark night."
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 18,214
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Wow.
That writer's ballot should be revoked, permanently.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 PM
roylestillman's Avatar
roylestillman roylestillman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Morgan Park
Posts: 2,034
Default

So even the most casual of baseball fan will now know who Ken Gurnick is, which is exactly the real reason why he voted the way he did this time and made his pronouncement regarding the future.
__________________
2014 Home Attendance Record 3-8
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:36 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
If neither Ripken, nor Maddux is getting in unanimously because voters are that vindictive of the Steroid Era, that's pretty messed up. Not everyone is guilty by association, but that's apparently not good enough for some people.
Nobody, not even Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig, has ever gotten an unanimous vote.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:52 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,661
Default

"I retract my endorsement of Buddha and Jesus for Hall of Fame. Buddha left his wife, and Jesus hung out with sinners and got mad." --John Sickels

https://twitter.com/MinorLeagueBall/...89173226323968

__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 01-07-2014, 05:38 PM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Nobody, not even Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig, has ever gotten an unanimous vote.
Ruth would have been higher but that 1936 election was screwed up due to the Veterans Commitee. I always found it odd that Christy Mathewson received more votes than Walter Johnson in that election too.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.