White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 03:17 PM
WSI Regular

Default Sox Games on WGN America

With the loss of WGN News at Nine on the WGN Superstation, will this also kill seeing the Sox games that WGN airs? I sure hope not as we already cannot see most of the WCIU games out here in Sterling/Rock Falls.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm guessing not. Their website barely mentions news at all, but does prominently mention sports, including the Sox.

http://www.wgnamerica.com/
Old 02-12-2014, 06:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw8052 View Post
With the loss of WGN News at Nine on the WGN Superstation, will this also kill seeing the Sox games that WGN airs? I sure hope not as we already cannot see most of the WCIU games out here in Sterling/Rock Falls.
Although my 2nd home in Northern WI, my "home" home is right up the road from you in Freeport, I also miss the CIU games, which only one time a week, not a huge deal I guess, but dont want to miss anymore

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 02-12-2014, 09:31 AM
WSI High Priest

My folks live out of state now and they won't be happy to hear that the 9:00 news has been dropped on WGN America. I doubt whatever crappy show they run in that slot will make WGN a "must see" network anyway.

What does WGN America generally show as programming? They don't show CW shows, right?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
My folks live out of state now and they won't be happy to hear that the 9:00 news has been dropped on WGN America. I doubt whatever crappy show they run in that slot will make WGN a "must see" network anyway.

What does WGN America generally show as programming? They don't show CW shows, right?
I moved to Sarasota in 2005 and I'm going to miss my 9PM daily dose of hometown Chicago news. Lately, they have been playing "America's Funniest Home Videos" in that slot or other movies. The WGN News programming schedule was also spotty at best and I could never figure out why it was on one night and not on the next night.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:36 PM
WSI Guru

Just wanted to provide some information on this. I contacted Dan Roan and he told me that unfortunately it's true, WGN will no longer be showing "The 9 O' Clock News" nationally.

He said WGN America is going to "go off into original programming." (Don't know what type shows he's talking about...)

However from a sports standpoint he said nothing has changed regarding programming nationally for the Sox, Cubs or Bulls.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 02-13-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 PM
WSI Guru

Just heard back from someone at WGN America who responded to my e-mail inquiry. Here it is for what it's worth:

Thank you for your inquiry. Your opinions are very important to us.

We know that Chicago’s very own WGN News has many loyal fans and we are committed to continue making these news programs available to our viewers. In recent months, WGN America has been evolving its programming direction to best serve the interests of our national audience. As a result, certain programming changes have and will be made that we hope will achieve the objectives and interests most important to our viewers everywhere.

“WGN News at Nine” is no longer seen on WGN America but continues on WGN in Chicago and worldwide online at www.WGNtv.com, where all WGN Chicago newscasts are streamed live.

Unfortunately, league rules prohibit video streaming of the sports segments.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you again for writing and watching WGN America.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:47 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Not showing the news is horrible to the ones who like to see whats going on at "home".
Old 02-12-2014, 05:52 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Not showing the news is horrible to the ones who like to see whats going on at "home".
The news is streamed live online, but I honestly cannot figure out why someone who willingly moves from one place would still want to watch their local news anyway.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:01 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The news is streamed live online, but I honestly cannot figure out why someone who willingly moves from one place would still want to watch their local news anyway.

A lot of people do, mainly older people. Actually the same age of people that watch tv news here. These people arent going on the computer to watch the news though. There are a lot of older posters here that moved away, Ill let them chime in.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
A lot of people do, mainly older people. Actually the same age of people that watch tv news here. These people arent going on the computer to watch the news though. There are a lot of older posters here that moved away, Ill let them chime in.
I'm one old guy who has been in Florida over 20 years and since we moved here have never watched WGN news at 9pm.
A couple times a week I check out the Tribune's App on my I Pad if I'm curious about what's happening up there, besides that I talk to my sister every Sunday and she always lets me know what's going on. As far as not caring about the place where one lived at one time, it's hard to make a complete break. I spent the first 48 years of my life in Chicago and it will always be my hometown and the White Sox and Blackhawks will always be my teams.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 02-12-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I would watch it once a week, just to see what was going on in Chicago (I've never really lived in Chicago since I was an infant anyway). And in the 80s, I'd watch sport every night for Sox highlights. Dan Rowan and some other guy - forget his name.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I would watch it once a week, just to see what was going on in Chicago (I've never really lived in Chicago since I was an infant anyway). And in the 80s, I'd watch sport every night for Sox highlights. Dan Rowan and some other guy - forget his name.
Rich King? The two of them have seemingly been there forever.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I didn't move willingly, except insofar as I willingly joined the military. I liked to put Chicago news on sometimes as part of an overarching plan to make my kids feel like their "from" Chicago, even though they've never lived there. It also just makes me feel closer to friends/family back home to help jump start common conversation topics.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:54 PM
WSI Guru

In the 1980's WGN sports was first anchored by Bob Hillman with Dan Roan on weekends. Then when Hillman left it was Roan during the week and the utterly forgetable Sid Garcia on weekends.

Rich King joined WGN after getting let go from WBBM in 1991 and has been there ever since.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 02-13-2014 at 04:01 PM.