White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 AM
WSI Guru

Default Tony LaRussa Interview (Part I)...

Folks:

As you know in October I took the opportunity to begin writing for the Chicago Baseball Museum web site after 11 years at WSI.

Because my basketball duties were getting ready to begin and Idaho State had a road heavy schedule this season, I decided to update some interviews that I originally did for WSI by contacting the players, finding out what was going on with their lives today and submitting those to the CBM site because of the time factor. I redid my interviews with Ray Herbert, Walt Williams, Ken Berry and Pete Ward in this manner including new photos. I also did an obit and a look back at the career of Ed Herrmann when he passed away and released again a great interview with the late Chuck Tanner. (All those interviews can be found at the CBM web site.)

But because over the Holidays, ISUís schedule only had one game in three weeks I wanted to take a shot on a brand new interview. To that end, Pat Courtney from MLB helped arrange an interview with former Sox manager Tony LaRussa. I spoke with Tony for 2 Ĺ hours shortly after Christmas. Iíve been told by some this is a coup since Tony, especially in his final seasons with the Cardinals didnít like to spend a lot of time with the media.

Tony seemed to really be enjoying himself during our conversation and we touched on a number of subjects surrounding his time on the South Side. The interview when transcribed totaled over six thousand words.

Part 1 of the interview has just been released on the Chicago Baseball Museum web site.

Here is the link to it: http://www.chicagobaseballmuseum.org...a-20140217.pdf

This part focuses on Tonyís background, how the circumstances came about to where he was offered the Sox managerial job and how the foundation was laid for the 1983 championship season.

Iíll send along the link to part 2 when itís released.

I hope you enjoying reading Tonyís opinions and memories. If you have any comments or questions feel free to list them in this thread, or e-mail me directly at: mliptak1@msn.com

Lip