White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2014, 10:04 PM
WSI High Priest

He was the player the California Angels traded to get Nolan Ryan from the Mets.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm sure I've told this story before, but suffer with me or move on. I got to meet Jim Fregosi and Herm Schneider (now there's a pair to draw to) back when the Sox were pitching a new stadium in Addison, IL back in the late 80's. There were hitting up all the local watering holes, with a 3rd person, an architecht (sp?)with a slide show and renderings of the proposed new stadium slated for Swift Rd. and Lake St in Addison. Somewhere around here, I might still have a hat he autographed. Incidentally, famous last words from Jim: "That Carlos Martinez, that kid can PLAY!"
Those of you out there saying "Carlos who?" have nothing to be embarrassed about.

And a referendum in Addison put an end to those plans.

SMO
Old 02-15-2014, 10:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Fondly remembered for once hanging up on Mike North during a phone interview when Mike was pulling his usual ****. Held the record for grand slams by a shortstop, didn't he?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

RIP Jim, you captained our ship during the dark era when being a Sox fan wasn't the in thing. I still remember when it was announced via The Tribe that the Sox were staying put and not moving south

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
RIP Jim, you captained our ship during the dark era when being a Sox fan wasn't the in thing. I still remember when it was announced via The Tribe that the Sox were staying put and not moving south
What I remeber about him with the Angels, was that he was one of the first power hitting shortstops, of course in those days if a shortstop hit 15 homers,he was a power hitting shortstop, ala Ron Hansen.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

I really liked Jim Fregosi. I put him in the top three Sox managers I've seen (along with Chuck Tanner and Jeff Torborg). He was a good baseball man even though he didn't have the players, and I thought he was very good with a pitching staff. You didn't get any nonsense with him that has accompanied far too many of the team's subsequent managers. Plus Fregosi seemed like a good guy. I always got the impressed than he loved talking baseball.

Last edited by BainesHOF; 02-18-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
Jim was unusual but friendly guy. I am glad that I got to know him and will miss him.
I agree, but I didn't find him unusual.

I don't know that anyone could talk baseball better than Jim Fregosi. Late one night when I saw him in a hotel lobby I asked him if he remembered the juiced X-15 baseball that was used experimentally in a few 1970 spring training exhibition games, and as if he was expecting me to ask the question, he described an inning in a game he played almost four decades earlier, in a way that still makes me laugh. He didn't like front office people who liked players based on their numbers without knowing enough about baseball to even see if they could play. He hated the range factor stat.

Jim Fregosi was an all-star six times before he was making $20,000 a year. Granted, that was a lot more money in those days, but at a time, he was making only twice the salary of an average public school teacher while being an elite American League shortstop, who the Angels would eventually trade for Nolan Ryan and three other players. And he was a good, classy man.

He will be missed.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 AM
WSI High Priest

I saw Fregosi when I was lucky enough to get seats behind the plate at cubs park about 10 years ago. He was there with a bunch of scouts, the only other one I recognized was jerry krause. Fregosi was the center of attention with these guys and they all seemed to like him. I miss Lips interviews so very much and wish Lip could have gotten Fregosi because I think it could have been a fun interview for both us and Lip.