White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 11:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, but as a Rule V draftee, the Sox have to keep him on the Major League roster or lose the fee they paid for him. Not sure why the Sox would have taken him if they had no intention of at least giving him a chance.
I think they do intend to give him a big chance.
While A ball is far away from the majors, the bar he has to beat - Flowers and Phegley - is far below the average major league bar.
And like Tom says, nurse him along, put him in favorable matchups. Might need to work a trade out; or we may just want to dump him. We'll see.
I guess I'm the only one, but I liked this Rule V pick a lot.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Flowers and Phegley......Yea!!! This should blow up in the Sox face by mid-April.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
It would be bitching weather. Bitching that it's too hot.
Nah, 80 in Phoenix is barely warm. Nothing like 80 round these parts. I used to live in Phoenix, came back one summer and was more uncomfortable here where it was 30 degrees cooler, sweating my ass off. 80 in Phoenix you might need a light jacket.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Merkin Tweeted that Abreu hit a homer in BP that went somewhere between 450 and 800 feet.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:02 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin
Adam Eaton said they call Abreu "oso," which is Bear in Spanish. They also call him Yogi, based on his size.

Beckham is here. Gillaspie is here. Keppinger is here as well.

Jones told me he'll go back to working out Wednesday and then get back on the mound soon. No target date but still not worried glute-wise

No update on Belisario and his visa. Everyone else is expected to be in camp Thursday. Avisail Garcia officially has arrived

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...medium=twitter
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 02-19-2014, 03:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
Flowers and Phegley......Yea!!! This should blow up in the Sox face by mid-April.
I have to think that the Sox know that Flowers and Phegley are probably not long term answers at catcher. But I really like the fact that the Sox are showing patience and waiting for the opportunity to make a significant upgrade at the position.

The free agent options at catcher were not great. The best available catcher, Brian McCann, turns 30 tomorrow and does have a lot of catching miles on him. The other options, including Jarrod Saltalamacchia, were not so great. So, rather than force a move that isn't so hot, the Sox are biding their time and waiting to make a significant upgrade. Not settling for a lesser option is a good thing.

And, who knows? Maybe, as rumored, Houston makes Jason Castro available. If the Sox can find a way to acquire Castro, that would be outstanding. Or maybe the Sox draft California high schooler Alex Jackson, he sticks at catcher and hits a ton. That would be really good, too.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin
Adam Eaton said they call Abreu "oso," which is Bear in Spanish. They also call him Yogi, based on his size.

Beckham is here. Gillaspie is here. Keppinger is here as well.

Jones told me he'll go back to working out Wednesday and then get back on the mound soon. No target date but still not worried glute-wise

No update on Belisario and his visa. Everyone else is expected to be in camp Thursday. Avisail Garcia officially has arrived

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...medium=twitter
"Oso" for Abreu- I like it- getting pretty excited about him from the early reports-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
And, who knows? Maybe, as rumored, Houston makes Jason Castro available. If the Sox can find a way to acquire Castro, that would be outstanding. Or maybe the Sox draft California high schooler Alex Jackson, he sticks at catcher and hits a ton. That would be really good, too.
While I think they should go BPA at 3, I'm not a huge fan of drafting a catcher at such a high position. They're so volatile. For every Buster Posey, it seems like there are five like Jeff Clement or Kyle Skipworth.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:09 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
While I think they should go BPA at 3, I'm not a huge fan of drafting a catcher at such a high position. They're so volatile. For every Buster Posey, it seems like there are five like Jeff Clement or Kyle Skipworth.
That's true of pretty much every high draft pick. Some hit. Many bust.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 02-20-2014, 09:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Here is the thing I like about a C

(1) While you need to hit a home run at 3, if you don't, you still want a productive big league player. At Catcher, if his D is great, you can live with a softer bat

(2) The downside is, if his bat is his value, you have to do what the Nationals did with Harper and move him to the OF. Don't let him shorten his career by sticking at catcher and killing his knees. The Twins just did the same with Mauer to extend his career.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

(1) While you need to hit a home run at 3, if you don't, you still want a productive big league player. At Catcher, if his D is great, you can live with a softer bat

(2) The downside is, if his bat is his value, you have to do what the Nationals did with Harper and move him to the OF. Don't let him shorten his career by sticking at catcher and killing his knees. The Twins just did the same with Mauer to extend his career.
Or the way the White Sox extended Carlton Fisk's career by moving him to the outfield. (Teal implied.) Anyway, Ken Harrelson, the GM at the time, said moving Fisk to the outfield would extend his career.

What you do with a player depends on the individual player, or at least it should. Buster Posey started college as a shortstop and had more to learn about catching than hitting as a minor leaguer after he was drafted in the first round. As a catcher, he was a big part of two championships runs. Eventually, he will probably end up playing first base, but right now the Giants are much better defensively when he catches. Part of it is that he isn't a very good defensive first baseman.

Ron Karkovice was a first-round draft pick. He was never a great hitter, but he was really the only very good defensive catcher to come out of the White Sox farm system since Ed Herrmann and was what the White Sox needed behind the plate circa 1993.

I think a catcher should primarily be strong defensively. I think it's necessary for a team to have a strong defensive catcher.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

That's fine IF the C prospect actually projects out to having an elite bat equivalent to the elite outfielder. But usually what is a great bat for a C is mediocre for an outfielder.
Personally, I wouldn't spend a lot of resource chasing catcher's bats...just find a capable defender.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Next Friday's spring training game vs. Dodgers is on MLB Network-

Last edited by TomBradley72; 02-21-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Next Saturdays spring training game vs. Dodgers is on MLB Network-
Old 02-21-2014, 04:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Next Friday's spring training game vs. Dodgers is on MLB Network-
It would be even better if my cable company hadn't dropped MLB Network 2 weeks ago