White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 04:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Expectations for Alexei Ramirez this Season

Just read this article on the White Sox website.

First of all, I really had never stopped to think much about how the murder of a family member near the beginning of a season could affect a player for the whole season. Maybe it affected him (particularly in the field), maybe not, but the more I think about it the more I think it's possible.

Second, I think White Sox fans have fallen into a habit of really undervaluing Alexei's bat. I was intrigued by some of the stats in the article, and went on to check some of Alexei's stats compared to the rest of MLB last year. He was in the top five for shortstops in average, hits, doubles, and steals. That should have been a recipe for being top five for shortstops in runs, but in our anemic offense he was tied for 8th.

Obviously his fielding last year was underwhelming, tied for most errors in the MLB. That was surprising, since he had consistently decreased his errors from 2010-12 (20, 16, and 12).

I expect him to maintain his performance at the plate, with more runs and RBI in a somewhat improved offense. I also expect him to come back to his norms in the field. Crossing my fingers, at least. Thoughts?

Edit: Can anyone fix my spelling error in the title? It's driving me nuts but I can't edit it myself!

Last edited by BRDSR; 02-23-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:08 PM

Maybe that's why his home run total was considerably down last year? I expect .280 average, 35ish doubles and 15 homers.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Expect everyone to be better than last year.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
Just read this article on the White Sox website.

First of all, I really had never stopped to think much about how the murder of a family member near the beginning of a season could affect a player for the whole season. Maybe it affected him (particularly in the field), maybe not, but the more I think about it the more I think it's possible.

Second, I think White Sox fans have fallen into a habit of really undervaluing Alexei's bat. I was intrigued by some of the stats in the article, and went on to check some of Alexei's stats compared to the rest of MLB last year. He was in the top five for shortstops in average, hits, doubles, and steals. That should have been a recipe for being top five for shortstops in runs, but in our anemic offense he was tied for 8th.

Obviously his fielding last year was underwhelming, tied for most errors in the MLB. That was surprising, since he had consistently decreased his errors from 2010-12 (20, 16, and 12).

I expect him to maintain his performance at the plate, with more runs and RBI in a somewhat improved offense. I also expect him to come back to his norms in the field. Crossing my fingers, at least. Thoughts?

Edit: Can anyone fix my spelling error in the title? It's driving me nuts but I can't edit it myself!
THANK YOU for saying that. I couldn't have said it better myself. The guy is one of the better offensive SS in all of baseball. Why people are so quick to want to get rid of him is completely beyond me. He's only gotten better every year he's been here, and as we can see, it looks like last year was mental, not physical (if that article is to be believed).

For the love of God Sox fans, don't give up on Alexei Ramirez. He may not be the best SS in all of baseball, but he's one of the better ones, and you don't find that kind of talent easily. It's like...don't expect everyone to be a freaking Mike Trout or something.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog528 View Post
Maybe that's why his home run total was considerably down last year? I expect .280 average, 35ish doubles and 15 homers.
From an offensive end, I would be very happy with that. I was happy with his average last year (.284) and stolen bases (30), and doubles (39). However, his OBP and HRs left much to be desired. I know his career OBP isn't very good because he doesn't walk very much, but he's been able to hit around 50 walks twice before and maybe can again.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
THANK YOU for saying that. I couldn't have said it better myself. The guy is one of the better offensive SS in all of baseball. Why people are so quick to want to get rid of him is completely beyond me. He's only gotten better every year he's been here, and as we can see, it looks like last year was mental, not physical (if that article is to be believed).

For the love of God Sox fans, don't give up on Alexei Ramirez. He may not be the best SS in all of baseball, but he's one of the better ones, and you don't find that kind of talent easily. It's like...don't expect everyone to be a freaking Mike Trout or something.
This is false, kind of. If you believe he could bounce back, then yes, he is good hitter. But he posted a sub .700 OPS last year (brutal) and fell outside of the Top 10 in MLB SS in WAR. Nothing really showed he was an above average hitter, or anything other than average.

My thing is, he is getting old fast. He is 32, will be 33 by years end. This is not a young hitter that we are expecting a major bounce back from, but an older player.

He was probably our most valuable hitter last year, but if that happens again, we are sunk. He has not topped 10 home runs in 2 years now.

My guess - .272 - 7 homers - 59 RBI - .712 OPS
Old 02-23-2014, 11:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post

Dude has had an OPS below .700 two years in a row. He has never had an OBP over .333. He is no where near of of the better offensive SS in all of baseball.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:27 AM
WSI Guru

I just want him to play defense like he did in 2012. That's all. Especially since Hahn has rebuilt the bullpen with a host of groundball pitchers.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 02-24-2014, 01:31 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't think people want to get rid of Alexei because of a perceived lack of talent. I think it has more to do with his age and salary number not really fitting in with the idea of a rebuild. Plus, he might be able to bring back real value if he's traded. Alexei is definitely worth his salary to a contending team, but to a rebuilding team, he's not worth the money unless:

1. The possibility exists that his trade value can increase over time, or

2. He is allowing extra time for a potential future SS prospect to properly develop without being rushed to the Major Leagues, or

3. The White Sox want Alexei Ramirez around beyond his current contract and think that he will still be their SS by the time they are competitive again.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 AM
WSI High Priest

I expect a nice year from Alexei- I think the family issue took a toll on him last year- and I think he'll get a little energy (along with Viciedo) from Abreu joining the team.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 AM
WSI Prelate

To be traded in July.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
This is false, kind of. If you believe he could bounce back, then yes, he is good hitter. But he posted a sub .700 OPS last year (brutal) and fell outside of the Top 10 in MLB SS in WAR. Nothing really showed he was an above average hitter, or anything other than average.

My thing is, he is getting old fast. He is 32, will be 33 by years end. This is not a young hitter that we are expecting a major bounce back from, but an older player.

He was probably our most valuable hitter last year, but if that happens again, we are sunk. He has not topped 10 home runs in 2 years now.

I just hope he can bounce back in the field and put up a .275, 11HR, 70 RBI, .720 OPS. That would be a very successful year.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 AM
WSI High Priest

I think Alexei will have a good year, but I also expect the Sox to move him, since at $9.5M, he's the third highest-paid player on the roster after Dunn and Danks.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM
WSI Regular

It really appeared to me that too frequently his head wasn't in the game.. some of his errors seemed to be because he want ready or wasn't concentrating... maybe it was the family issue and he will be better this year, took a big step back defensively last year.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

This isn't 2008, only 6 shortstops posted an OPS .700 or higher. If he can get the glove back, he isn't a problem.