White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 08:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I don't see how Viciedo has more value to the Sox or to anybody for that matter. De Aza is a better player in every facet of the game. Better hitter, fielder and baserunner, even when you take his gaffes into consideration. Plus, a left-handed hitter on a team devoid of left-handing hitting. All else equal, I'd take DeAza every day of the week over Viciedo, I don't get where this notion of Viciedo having value comes from honestly. Sure, he might figure it out sooner or later, but until he does he doesn't have much value to anyone.
Because he has upside. WE know what De Aza's upside is and it's pretty average. I'd look to deal De Aza first; it's easier to determine his value and should be able to fashion some win/win trade.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Because he has upside. WE know what De Aza's upside is and it's pretty average. I'd look to deal De Aza first; it's easier to determine his value and should be able to fashion some win/win trade.
I guess the question is whether an actual average player has more value than a poor player with supposed upside.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture
I guess the question is whether an actual average player has more value than a poor player with supposed upside.
There are more factors at play, though. The poor player with supposed upside is a full five years younger, he makes $1.5 million less, and he still has three more arbitration years before he can become a free agent. The average player's primary source of value has become redundant with the acquisition of Adam Eaton, and he only has one more arbitration year before he can become a free agent.

For a team expected to compete in 2014 and needs a capable, if unspectacular, leadoff hitter, De Aza is more valuable. For a team looking to gain more from a developmental standpoint than from a wins and losses standpoint in 2014, Viciedo is more valuable.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

For a team expected to compete in 2014 and needs a capable, if unspectacular, leadoff hitter, De Aza is more valuable. For a team looking to gain more from a developmental standpoint than from a wins and losses standpoint in 2014, Viciedo is more valuable.
I don't see the developmental value. He's a one dimensional player who is no good at the one dimension. Unless you are looking for a hack left fielder, Viciedo is useless. DeAza has actual value, any team could use him. Viciedo has no value on defense, on the bases, or at the plate. He has purported potential value as a homerun hitter, and that's it. Major league rosters aren't generally built on unfulfilled, hypothetical value. And yes, we have Eaton, but again, he is unproven and could easily flop, and who's the number two hitter anyway? I don't see one, other than DeAza. Let's look at it in the context of the Sox? Who is playing left? Either V or D...I think I'll go with the one who is the better hitter, defender and baserunner. Eaton doesn't make DeAza redundant, unless you have another quality OFer I'm unaware of to play left. Last I checked Eaton is slated for CF.

The difference in salary is almost a non-issue, considering the Sox are operating well below their budget and neither are signed past this season

Last edited by TheVulture; 03-14-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture
Major league rosters aren't generally built on unfulfilled, hypothetical value.
For rebuilding teams, unfulfilled, hypothetical value usually shows up in several places up and down the roster.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
There are more factors at play, though. The poor player with supposed upside is a full five years younger, he makes $1.5 million less, and he still has three more arbitration years before he can become a free agent. The average player's primary source of value has become redundant with the acquisition of Adam Eaton, and he only has one more arbitration year before he can become a free agent.

Agree. Thus, trade De Aza, keep Viciedo.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Right now, I'll take whoever we would get the best return for.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
For rebuilding teams, unfulfilled, hypothetical value usually shows up in several places up and down the roster.
Ok, true. Either way, I see them both ultimately as placeholders. In that case, Viciedo's arbitration could become a liability rather an advantage (provided he still has enough value you'd rather not just cut him). DeAza has more value as a player right now, might as well go with that if he's just filling the spot for the time being anyway. DeAza at least would make a solid fourth OFer. Viciedo is worthless if he's not a starter. Personally, I'd just platoon them as it stands now, straight up L/R. Really, when you factor in the inexperience of Eaton and Garcia, it's probably best to just hang on to them both for now unless Hahn is picking up another OFer. I wouldn't mind Danks as the fourth OFer if the OF were a little more solidified, but if someone has to step in and start 120+ games in CF, I'd rather it be DeAza with Danks in reserve.

Last edited by TheVulture; 03-15-2014 at 04:32 AM.