White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 01:06 AM
WSI Guru

Default Jonah Keri's Expos Book

A snippet of it featuring the 1981 NLCS and Blue Monday here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/b...state/6614323/
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:19 AM
WSI Prelate

I think it's a real good book. I just got it and am almost finished with it, the amount of talent they were able to produce is just amazing but unfortunately they were just never able to cross that last hurdle (the two division format really hurt them).

The mistakes that the Expos made have been detailed quite a bit on these forums but I think they did and still do have a passionate fan base. They were just the victims of circumstance and some bad moves by ownership, but if a team like the Rays moved to Montreal I think that they would do well there. I would also hope they could take the name "Expos" and would wear the uniforms they wore back in the 1970s.

Go Sox!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I think it's a real good book. I just got it and am almost finished with it, the amount of talent they were able to produce is just amazing but unfortunately they were just never able to cross that last hurdle (the two division format really hurt them).

The mistakes that the Expos made have been detailed quite a bit on these forums but I think they did and still do have a passionate fan base. They were just the victims of circumstance and some bad moves by ownership, but if a team like the Rays moved to Montreal I think that they would do well there. I would also hope they could take the name "Expos" and would wear the uniforms they wore back in the 1970s.
Good to hear, I haven't picked it up yet.

And I think Keri wouldn't mind that Rays to Montreal move.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 PM
WSI Guru

Look where they're playing baseball tonight...

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status.../photo/1/large
Old 03-28-2014, 09:06 PM
WSI High Priest

I follow the Expos now that they play in Washington DC under a different name. Lots of people wear Expos gear to the stadium, but they are never shown on the Jumbotron. A few Expos greats have retired numbers displayed in the stadium and the TV color man is a former Expo who talks about his time in Montreal a lot, but apart from that nobody mentions anything about the pre-2005 history of that franchise. I don't know why the ownership has taken this hostile stance: perhaps they believe that the history will revert back to a new Montreal franchise at some point.

When they played an interleague series in Toronto a few years ago (where the Bryce Harper "clown question bro" incident happened) there was an old man in an Expos jersey sitting right behind home plate, best seat in the house. My heart went out to him.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 03-28-2014, 10:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I follow the Expos now that they play in Washington DC under a different name. Lots of people wear Expos gear to the stadium, but they are never shown on the Jumbotron. A few Expos greats have retired numbers displayed in the stadium and the TV color man is a former Expo who talks about his time in Montreal a lot, but apart from that nobody mentions anything about the pre-2005 history of that franchise. I don't know why the ownership has taken this hostile stance: perhaps they believe that the history will revert back to a new Montreal franchise at some point.

When they played an interleague series in Toronto a few years ago (where the Bryce Harper "clown question bro" incident happened) there was an old man in an Expos jersey sitting right behind home plate, best seat in the house. My heart went out to him.
I don't think Nats fans care about where the team came from, and I don't imagine Expos fans are all that happy about how their team came to leave town. Won't find too many Colts fans in Baltimore...or Ravens fans in Cleveland.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:26 PM
WSI Personality

Looks like a great atmosphere in Montreal tonight at the Mets/Blue Jays game.
Attendance was announced at 46,000+. I miss baseball in Quebec; it sure had a vibe which was unique.