White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 02:50 PM
MMXXIII

Default Chicago Food Truck Fest: Coming to the Cell in June

http://chicagoist.com/2014/03/27/chi...escends_on.php

Good use of the empty lots on a day the Sox are not around (I assume).
Old 03-27-2014, 10:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Maybe it'll be a challenge on the next season of The Great Food Truck Race.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:31 PM
WSI High Priest

The trucks will love having 300% mark-up

Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm hoping for this event the food trucks aren't staffed by the regular stadium food service workers.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
The trucks will love having 300% mark-up
It really does seem that the entire food truck concept has been turned on its head. Presumably, food trucks should provide quick and inexpensive food because the overhead is much smaller. Instead, the food trucks I have seen charge more than a comparable product from a bricks and mortar place for food that was cooked earlier in the day.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Inch Stick View Post
It really does seem that the entire food truck concept has been turned on its head. Presumably, food trucks should provide quick and inexpensive food because the overhead is much smaller. Instead, the food trucks I have seen charge more than a comparable product from a bricks and mortar place for food that was cooked earlier in the day.
I agree. I'm yet to find any type of bargain item at any of these food trucks. The variety is great but many charge Taste of Chicago prices. There are too many options at least in the Loop that are the same price or even lower that are just as good if not better.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

You have to pay $10 before you can buy food from a truck. Uh, no thanks.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Inch Stick View Post
Trucks are allowed to cook on board now

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiffleBall View Post
I agree. I'm yet to find any type of bargain item at any of these food trucks. The variety is great but many charge Taste of Chicago prices. There are too many options at least in the Loop that are the same price or even lower that are just as good if not better.
I guess I disagree, yes the trucks will be more expensive than places like Jimmy John's or whatever, but why would anyone want to eat there? Granted, I usually stick to the staple trucks I have found that I like, but I think their food is comparable in quality and price to competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
You have to pay $10 before you can buy food from a truck. Uh, no thanks.
I went to a food truck gathering last summer on Goose Island and it was great. Same deal, $10 to enter, but due to the restrictive nature of the city's truck ordinance, it's rare to find more than a couple of trucks in one spot at a time. But there were like 25 or so trucks present so the variety was excellent and I got to try a bunch of different ones I hadn't before.

Really, it's not that much different than some of the various street fests around town, only with a better variety and quality of eats.

Last edited by doublem23; 03-28-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I went to a food truck gathering last summer on Goose Island and it was great. Same deal, $10 to enter, but due to the restrictive nature of the city's truck ordinance, it's rare to find more than a couple of trucks in one spot at a time. But there were like 25 or so trucks present so the variety was excellent and I got to try a bunch of different ones I hadn't before.

Really, it's not that much different than some of the various street fests around town, only with a better variety and quality of eats.
Okay, but many streets fest charge just $5 and provide great bands, too. I'm not talking about lame cover bands, which some fests favor to their detriment. I'm talking about quality local bands and national touring bands.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:19 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Okay, but many streets fest charge just $5 and provide great bands, too. I'm not talking about lame cover bands, which some fests favor to their detriment. I'm talking about quality local bands and national touring bands.
What fests are you going to that feature national touring bands for $5? Local bands, sure, I've seen plenty of those at a $5 street fest but for something national, you're usually in the $10 range.

That said, kind of an unfair complaint since the music lineup for this fest hasn't been released, so who knows what $10 will get you? And again, the food is the draw here, as most street fests around town have the same basic vendors providing the same kind of street food. I'm fine with having to fork over an extra $5 for much better eats.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
What fests are you going to that feature national touring bands for $5? Local bands, sure, I've seen plenty of those at a $5 street fest but for something national, you're usually in the $10 range.

That said, kind of an unfair complaint since the music lineup for this fest hasn't been released, so who knows what $10 will get you? And again, the food is the draw here, as most street fests around town have the same basic vendors providing the same kind of street food. I'm fine with having to fork over an extra $5 for much better eats.
West Fest and Rib Fest. Others are $8-10. My point is they give you something of worth for your admission. Charging $10 just so you can buy spend more money is lame. The Rosemont sports memorabilia shows have done that for years. I hate that.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
West Fest and Rib Fest. Others are $8-10. My point is they give you something of worth for your admission. Charging $10 just so you can buy spend more money is lame. The Rosemont sports memorabilia shows have done that for years. I hate that.
Soxfest as well