White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2014, 04:04 PM
WSI Guru

Default Howard Bryant Article from ESPN Rag Regarding the Rays

I won't link the article because I'm reading the hard copy magazine. Bryant suggests the amateur draft should be reorganized such that the slot order is based on total revenue instead of win-loss record. This way, rich but poorly run franchises would be penalized (he names the Sox, Mets and Astros). He also suggests moving the Tigers back to the AL East and putting the Rays in the Central.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500

Last edited by Brian26; 04-05-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

All I can say is that both of those ideas seems pretty damn stupid.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
All I can say is that both of those ideas seems pretty damn stupid.
The second one definitely...I think there might be something to the former though. His version sounds a bit extreme, but a revenue modifier might not be a bad idea. Suppose a 250 million Yankee team manages the worst record, should they still get the first pick? Seems like a valid question.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
The second one definitely...I think there might be something to the former though. His version sounds a bit extreme, but a revenue modifier might not be a bad idea. Suppose a 250 million Yankee team manages the worst record, should they still get the first pick? Seems like a valid question.
It's an interesting idea.

The idea about moving the Tigers to the AL East is just silly though. It's a temporary solution to a permanent problem. There's no guarantee the Tigers will always spend this much money, no guarantee the Rays will always be so well-run in the draft, and aligning divisions based on total payroll is unnecessary with the dual wild-card now.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I won't link the article because I'm reading the hard copy magazine. Bryant suggests the amateur draft should be reorganized such that the slot order is based on total revenue instead of win-loss record. This way, rich but poorly run franchises would be penalized (he names the Sox, Mets and Astros). He also suggests moving the Tigers back to the AL East and putting the Rays in the Central.
The slot order suggestion is removed from reality. Revenue does not 100% correlate to won/lose records. Does he control for a situation where two expensive players are on the DL for an extended period of time which could result in high revenue but poor W/L record?

Bombing for the draft rarely works, if someone wants to do it, let them.

What is his rationale for moving a team from Florida into the AL Central and replacing it with a team from the Midwest? This makes no sense, too. The Chicago/Detroit rivalry is better than a Chicago/Tampa rivalry. Detroit is a few hours by car so fans can make a last minute decision to drive to see the game, with Tampa in the ALC, that decision cannot be a last minute one.

All hail The Rick
Old 04-06-2014, 10:26 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
What is his rationale for moving a team from Florida into the AL Central and replacing it with a team from the Midwest? This makes no sense, too.
He does not touch on the geographic issue at all. His only stated motive is to put Detroit, a bigger spending team, in the same division with Boston and New York, while the Rays would be moved to the Central to compete with only one big-spending team, the Sox.

BTW, this magazine subscription was free. I read the baseball articles every two weeks when it arrives. Some of the pieces are fine. I found this one to be curious.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:34 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
What is his rationale for moving a team from Florida into the AL Central and replacing it with a team from the Midwest? This makes no sense, too. The Chicago/Detroit rivalry is better than a Chicago/Tampa rivalry. Detroit is a few hours by car so fans can make a last minute decision to drive to see the game, with Tampa in the ALC, that decision cannot be a last minute one.
I actually think the majority of Tiger fans in the world live in Lakeview. They're ****ing EEEEEEEEEEEEEVERYWHERE up here.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 04-06-2014, 11:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

This idea is dumber than the massive hoop earring Bryant insists on wearing.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
How are the Sox poorly run? In 30+ years of JR's ownership, they've had exactly 2 periods where they had consecutive losing seasons. Astros were good for 15 years, before this sell-off they went through 4-5 years ago. How did the Rays get good? Well, they stunk for a decade and accumulated draft choices.

Even the "low revenue" teams have high revenue these days.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I actually think the majority of Tiger fans in the world live in Lakeview. They're ****ing EEEEEEEEEEEEEVERYWHERE up here.
Totally agree. Sometimes I feel like half of Detroit moved to the north side and north suburbs of Chicago.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-07-2014, 05:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

If the Tigers move to the East, they should move the Brewers back to the AL Central so Sox fans can have at least a division rival within a reasonable driving distance.

I'm still pissed they moved to the NL. I think they're regretting the move with all the d-bag fans that invade Miller Park.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
If the Tigers move to the East, they should move the Brewers back to the AL Central so Sox fans can have at least a division rival within a reasonable driving distance.

I'm still pissed they moved to the NL. I think they're regretting the move with all the d-bag fans that invade Miller Park.
You mean the Cub fans who pay for their tickets and drive to Miller Park in droves? I'm pretty sure they're very happy with all that extra money.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post

Not in the least. From a front office standpoint, it gave Milwaukee that many more sell outs during the bad years. It also helped create a rivalry with the cubs from a brewers standpoint(less so now that the cubs are terrible). Now that the team has regained the trust of the fan base, brewer fans have been the ones invading Wrigley, and the team has monster attendance numbers. Due to jumping around between divisions so much, the brewers have never really had a real rivalry with any regional teams. How many years were the Brewers and White Sox in the same division? 4 years in the 90s and 2 in the 70s? My father considered the Orioles rival the brewers main rival in the AL due to competing with them for the division in the late 70s/80s. I think that speaks volumes about our lack of rivals.

The brewers have been in the NL central for 17 years now, the majority of the fans under 30 barely remember their AL days, and the old timers have always considered Milwaukee an NL city. By 2020 the brewers will have spent more time in the NLC than any other division. The Brewers want nothing to do with the AL anymore.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!