White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 07:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Id like the Sox to jump to wgn radio now, it has a different following than 670 and may bring in some new fans.
If being on The Score didn't bring in new fans, being on WGN won't.....unless we're counting on winning over a bunch of old people who listen to WGN to suddenly be Sox fans.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
If being on The Score didn't bring in new fans, being on WGN won't.....unless we're counting on winning over a bunch of old people who listen to WGN to suddenly be Sox fans.
Maybe so but older people have more money to go to games than younger people do and arent into the bar scene at cubs park.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Maybe so but older people have more money to go to games than younger people do and arent into the bar scene at cubs park.
Yes, that 60-to-death demographic is so coveted.

I'll be 57 this year, and I'm too young for WGN.

Anyway, station demographics do not determine who listens to baseball. It's baseball listenership that influences overall station democgraphics. It isn't as if the White Sox moving to WGN will reveal a previously unknown world to listeners who don't change the station.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:35 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
In retrospect, how could being on the Score ever establish more Sox fans when more than half the shows on the station piss all over the product? The shows go out of their way to make fun of the ownership, the announcers, the players, the fans, etc. If I listened to the Score, would it seem like being a Sox fan is cool?

Conversely, WGN has ALWAYS treated the Cubs with a sort of reverance, and the same can be said of their more recent relationship with the Blackhawks. The hosts talked positively about the organizations. It was mutually respectful and beneficial.

That's why I found it comical yesterday with Bernstein spouting about the "cross-promotional opportunities and avenues" now available with CBS and the Cubs. Where were those opportunities with the Sox? Instead, you tune in to any show and listen to them playing sound bytes making fun of Hawk, you had Mike North picking fights with Ozzie in the morning, Dan MacNeil making fun of the team in the mid-day even though he's a supposed Sox fan.

It's always been, to me, a conflict of interest to have a team on a local sports station. It wasn't as much of an issue on AM 1000 because many of the shows at the time were still ESPN national shows.

I think absolutely the Sox on WGN would be an amazing, positive opportunity, mostly to get away from the meathead idiots on 670.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 06-05-2014, 07:42 PM
WSI Guru

By the way, the article in the Trib had several quotes from Jimmy DeCastro about a possible Sox deal. He mentioned he's done business with Reinsdorf before, loves him and would be open to doing business again. DeCastro negotiated the Bulls and Sox deals on the old AM 1000 with Jerry. This looks like it's a done deal a year ahead of time.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:55 PM
WSI Prelate

I'm not sure I'd want the Sox on WGN. Can you imagine how ironically awkward it would be with the Sox on WGN and the Cubs on WSCR? I don't think the present day Score roasts the Sox as much as it did in the past, despite B&B. I seem to recall that a lot of that went on during the Rob Gallas era when we had the worst PR going on.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
In retrospect, how could being on the Score ever establish more Sox fans when more than half the shows on the station piss all over the product? The shows go out of their way to make fun of the ownership, the announcers, the players, the fans, etc. If I listened to the Score, would it seem like being a Sox fan is cool?

Conversely, WGN has ALWAYS treated the Cubs with a sort of reverance, and the same can be said of their more recent relationship with the Blackhawks. The hosts talked positively about the organizations. It was mutually respectful and beneficial.

That's why I found it comical yesterday with Bernstein spouting about the "cross-promotional opportunities and avenues" now available with CBS and the Cubs. Where were those opportunities with the Sox? Instead, you tune in to any show and listen to them playing sound bytes making fun of Hawk, you had Mike North picking fights with Ozzie in the morning, Dan MacNeil making fun of the team in the mid-day even though he's a supposed Sox fan.

It's always been, to me, a conflict of interest to have a team on a local sports station. It wasn't as much of an issue on AM 1000 because many of the shows at the time were still ESPN national shows.

I think absolutely the Sox on WGN would be an amazing, positive opportunity, mostly to get away from the meathead idiots on 670.
I always found that treating the Cubs with reverence and ripping on the White Sox was part of the culture of Chicago. When Harry Caray was a popular White Sox announcer, he ripped on the players and the ownership reguarly, and it was a big part of the reason he was popular. When he went to the Cubs, he treated the Cubs with reverence and that was a big part of the reason he was popular.

At the same time, the difference, I believe, in being on a news or a news/entertainment station as opposed to a sports talk station, is that sports talk stations thrive on ripping on people. I hear announcers on the Giants' flagship station in San Francisco ripping on the Giants, and the team has won two World Series titles since 2010 and has the best record in baseball.

If WBBM is getting into the baseball radio business while staying in the news business, that's the place to be in the city if you don't want people on your radio station ripping on you. I think the Cubs would prefer to be on WBBM than WSCR, although WGN seemed a perfect fit.

Still, I honestly don't believe things would be better for the White Sox on WGN where being anti-White Sox has been part of the corporate culture for at least half a century.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see why CBS wouldn't want to monopolize the Chicago baseball radio market by running one team on WSCR and one on WBBM. All-news radio stations are among the most compatible with baseball broadcasts. I don't know that WGN would pay more for the White Sox than CBS when CBS paid more for the Cubs than WGN.

I don't see any tangible benefit for the White Sox on WGN that don't exist on WSCR, and I really don't understand the excitement over the possibility of the White Sox being on WGN in the future.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:07 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I don't see any tangible benefit for the White Sox on WGN that don't exist on WSCR, and I really don't understand the excitement over the possibility of the White Sox being on WGN in the future.
I think we're past the era where a team's radio broadcasts could drive attendance. But WGN does have twice as many listeners as WSCR, and it's an audience not made up entirely of sports diehards, so maybe hearing the Sox on WGN could build up some interest among casual fans.

I'm hoping that if the Sox move to WGN, Jimmy deCastro could improve the quality of the broadcasts. When deCastro was running WMVP and they aired the Sox games (with John Rooney), they sounded a whole lot better than they do now.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:00 PM
WSI High Priest

I won't miss having all three WGN major media outlets spouting nonstop Cubpaganda. I won't miss the regular drip of subtle and not so subtle digs on the Sox and Sox fans.

The era of Cubpaganda thru WGN newspaper, radio & TV is OVAH! That's good news for the Sox.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-06-2014, 09:24 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Back in the late 80s, the AM 1000 signal was switched around 6pm during the Steve & Garry show. Fans would call in from Aurora and say they couldn't hear the show after the 6 pm switch. However, when they'd replay the show overnights, the Loop would get mail and calls from people in Baltimore, New York and along the east coast who could hear the show. Amazing.
I don't know about now but in the 60s and 70s, WCFL had an
Eastern Node. You could get the last hour of Lujack's show in Pittsburgh but not Peoria.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:09 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
I won't miss having all three WGN major media outlets spouting nonstop Cubpaganda. I won't miss the regular drip of subtle and not so subtle digs on the Sox and Sox fans.
Yes exactly and a strong indirect reason for the Sox to hopefully move to WGN radio if the opportunity presents itself. No, I don't think a ton of Cub fans will just turn over because the Sox are on 720 AM, but the Tribune, the most powerful and influential media outlet in town having a financial stake, even a small one, in our team would probably make quite a difference in how the teams are presented. I don't think it will have immediate dividends, but over the course of time, it could be a real coup for the Sox.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 06-07-2014, 11:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinsocal View Post
I don't know about now but in the 60s and 70s, WCFL had an Eastern Node. You could get the last hour of Lujack's show in Pittsburgh but not Peoria.
WMVP (the former WCFL) still has the nighttime pattern to the east as it has since the 1930s. It was last adjusted in 1947. With 50,000 watts kicked to the east, Rockford and Peoria won't hear it, but Baltimore and Albany will. There's a nice transmitter history at this site.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:51 AM
WSI Regular

Tribune still owns like 5% of the Cubs so the paper isn't going to change its reporting style. The bigger issue for me is I see the Cubs eventually moving to WSCR The Score instead of staying on WBBM. I don't want the number one sports station in town, and my favorite, to be completely pro Cubs. Actually, it has already started; They've been talking up the Cubs big time in recent days and even running Cubs commercials.

One important part of the deal that's getting less discussion is the promotion CBS radio plans to do for the Cubs, across all 7 of their local stations, both for games and concerts. Sox don't have that benefit in their current contract and it's something WGN radio can not offer. Prepare to be inundated in Cub-ness next season if you live in the Chicagoland area.

Also, someone mentioned possible benefits from Cubs games being dropped from WGN TV. WGN America is dropping all Chicago sports from its national feed and it won't matter for either team because we live in the MLB.tv age for out-of-market viewers. Locally, fans can see games on WGN, CSN et al. It isn't going to net followers for the Sox or take away anyone from the Cubs. All they have to do is win a few games and the bandwagon gets fired up again...

Alternatively, I hope the Sox are able to renew their contract to block the Cubs from being moved over to WSCR after 2015.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:43 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yes exactly and a strong indirect reason for the Sox to hopefully move to WGN radio if the opportunity presents itself. No, I don't think a ton of Cub fans will just turn over because the Sox are on 720 AM, but the Tribune, the most powerful and influential media outlet in town having a financial stake, even a small one, in our team would probably make quite a difference in how the teams are presented. I don't think it will have immediate dividends, but over the course of time, it could be a real coup for the Sox.
Isn't the most likely outcome here that the Sox land on 87.7FM instead of 720AM? WGN has it's own sports station now, and I'd bet that's where DeCastro would want to put the games.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Isn't the most likely outcome here that the Sox land on 87.7FM instead of 720AM? WGN has it's own sports station now, and I'd bet that's where DeCastro would want to put the games.
It won't happen on 87.7 because that's actually a low-power TV station on old Channel 6 that has to be off the air by September of 2015. WGN wants to buy a real FM station, and if they pull that off the Sox might end up there, though I hope not.