White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Fungo Fungo is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,144
Default Nice article on ex-Sox Josh Rupe in BA

Rupe was part of the package that went to Texas last year in the Everett deal.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today.../2004dish.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2004, 01:36 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,814
Default

What's with this quote?

"Webster has missed a month at high Class A Stockton with a nagging knee injury, but he's hitting a solid .267-7-39"

That's solid???
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Chisoxfn Chisoxfn is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: California
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
What's with this quote?

"Webster has missed a month at high Class A Stockton with a nagging knee injury, but he's hitting a solid .267-7-39"

That's solid???
If you look at his secondary numbers, he has a great OBP as well as a pretty good slugging percentage. Considering his speed and range in the outfield, it isn't too shabby. I think he has like an .800 or so OPS.

Plus he's very young and raw. I think BA overrated him a year ago (when he was one of the Sox top prospects), but he does have a lot of talent.
__________________
Dan Evans Sucks...I'll take Ken Williams any day of the week over that bum.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2004, 04:31 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn
If you look at his secondary numbers, he has a great OBP as well as a pretty good slugging percentage. Considering his speed and range in the outfield, it isn't too shabby. I think he has like an .800 or so OPS.

Plus he's very young and raw. I think BA overrated him a year ago (when he was one of the Sox top prospects), but he does have a lot of talent.
They completely pumped him up in 2003 after his stellar showing in Bristol. But I really think we should take stats from Rookie Ball with a grain of salt, there are tons of guys that hit .330 plus at that level. He struggled somewhat in Kanny last year, and regressed even more when he was traded. He's got some upside and his secondary numbers are somewhat solid, but he'd be lost in the shuffle in our system. More than likely an afterthought after Anderson and Chris Young.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Chisoxfn Chisoxfn is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: California
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
They completely pumped him up in 2003 after his stellar showing in Bristol. But I really think we should take stats from Rookie Ball with a grain of salt, there are tons of guys that hit .330 plus at that level. He struggled somewhat in Kanny last year, and regressed even more when he was traded. He's got some upside and his secondary numbers are somewhat solid, but he'd be lost in the shuffle in our system. More than likely an afterthought after Anderson and Chris Young.
I agree with you on that. I'm to the point where I basically ignore stats at the rookie level. I'm more, get promoted, and then lets see what you can do in A ball. Their are definately exceptions, such as the high draft picks, but other then that, I really don't follow the rookie leagues much.

Its hard to pitch in the Pioneer league and then you have Bristol and thats just eh. Some guys just rake and then never amount to anything so I take notice of whose doing what, but I wait till they are promoted and are producing at the next level until I start talking about them.

Don't get me started on Chris Young though...boy do I like Chris Young, heck of a lot of potential. Only drawback with him long term if he develops like he can is he'll probably still strike out a good amount and he doesn't have a very strong arm.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2004, 04:39 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn
Don't get me started on Chris Young though...boy do I like Chris Young, heck of a lot of potential. Only drawback with him long term if he develops like he can is he'll probably still strike out a good amount and he doesn't have a very strong arm.
I'm quickly becoming a big fan of the kid. His strikeout totals are very deceiving, as most came at the beginning of the season when he was in a huge slump. But I've noticed his walk totals climbing at a quick rate and his K's are slowing down.

He kind of reminds me of Mike Cameron, good power, speed, defense. (Heck he's got a shot to go 30-30 this year) Mike had a better arm though. At 20 years of age though, I'm excited about his future.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Chisoxfn Chisoxfn is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: California
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I'm quickly becoming a big fan of the kid. His strikeout totals are very deceiving, as most came at the beginning of the season when he was in a huge slump. But I've noticed his walk totals climbing at a quick rate and his K's are slowing down.

He kind of reminds me of Mike Cameron, good power, speed, defense. (Heck he's got a shot to go 30-30 this year) Mike had a better arm though. At 20 years of age though, I'm excited about his future.
Good comparison, I think he has the ability to hit for a better average, but like Cameron he shoudl strike out a decent amoutn, but also draw a good amount of walks and he can go get em in center.

One thing to note about Young is, he was on an absolute terror until they moved him up in the lineup. Since then he's entered a horrible slump (probably been for about two weeks). Heck of a future though and damn is he fast.

He stole a ton of bases the two Intimidator games I saw and he's got great high end speed and good acceleration.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.