White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2004, 01:08 PM
WSI Personality

Default Nice article on ex-Sox Josh Rupe in BA

Rupe was part of the package that went to Texas last year in the Everett deal.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today.../2004dish.html
Old 07-22-2004, 01:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

What's with this quote?

"Webster has missed a month at high Class A Stockton with a nagging knee injury, but he's hitting a solid .267-7-39"

That's solid???
Old 07-22-2004, 04:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
What's with this quote?

"Webster has missed a month at high Class A Stockton with a nagging knee injury, but he's hitting a solid .267-7-39"

That's solid???
If you look at his secondary numbers, he has a great OBP as well as a pretty good slugging percentage. Considering his speed and range in the outfield, it isn't too shabby. I think he has like an .800 or so OPS.

Plus he's very young and raw. I think BA overrated him a year ago (when he was one of the Sox top prospects), but he does have a lot of talent.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn
If you look at his secondary numbers, he has a great OBP as well as a pretty good slugging percentage. Considering his speed and range in the outfield, it isn't too shabby. I think he has like an .800 or so OPS.

Plus he's very young and raw. I think BA overrated him a year ago (when he was one of the Sox top prospects), but he does have a lot of talent.
They completely pumped him up in 2003 after his stellar showing in Bristol. But I really think we should take stats from Rookie Ball with a grain of salt, there are tons of guys that hit .330 plus at that level. He struggled somewhat in Kanny last year, and regressed even more when he was traded. He's got some upside and his secondary numbers are somewhat solid, but he'd be lost in the shuffle in our system. More than likely an afterthought after Anderson and Chris Young.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
They completely pumped him up in 2003 after his stellar showing in Bristol. But I really think we should take stats from Rookie Ball with a grain of salt, there are tons of guys that hit .330 plus at that level. He struggled somewhat in Kanny last year, and regressed even more when he was traded. He's got some upside and his secondary numbers are somewhat solid, but he'd be lost in the shuffle in our system. More than likely an afterthought after Anderson and Chris Young.
I agree with you on that. I'm to the point where I basically ignore stats at the rookie level. I'm more, get promoted, and then lets see what you can do in A ball. Their are definately exceptions, such as the high draft picks, but other then that, I really don't follow the rookie leagues much.

Its hard to pitch in the Pioneer league and then you have Bristol and thats just eh. Some guys just rake and then never amount to anything so I take notice of whose doing what, but I wait till they are promoted and are producing at the next level until I start talking about them.

Don't get me started on Chris Young though...boy do I like Chris Young, heck of a lot of potential. Only drawback with him long term if he develops like he can is he'll probably still strike out a good amount and he doesn't have a very strong arm.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn
Don't get me started on Chris Young though...boy do I like Chris Young, heck of a lot of potential. Only drawback with him long term if he develops like he can is he'll probably still strike out a good amount and he doesn't have a very strong arm.
I'm quickly becoming a big fan of the kid. His strikeout totals are very deceiving, as most came at the beginning of the season when he was in a huge slump. But I've noticed his walk totals climbing at a quick rate and his K's are slowing down.

He kind of reminds me of Mike Cameron, good power, speed, defense. (Heck he's got a shot to go 30-30 this year) Mike had a better arm though. At 20 years of age though, I'm excited about his future.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'm quickly becoming a big fan of the kid. His strikeout totals are very deceiving, as most came at the beginning of the season when he was in a huge slump. But I've noticed his walk totals climbing at a quick rate and his K's are slowing down.

He kind of reminds me of Mike Cameron, good power, speed, defense. (Heck he's got a shot to go 30-30 this year) Mike had a better arm though. At 20 years of age though, I'm excited about his future.
Good comparison, I think he has the ability to hit for a better average, but like Cameron he shoudl strike out a decent amoutn, but also draw a good amount of walks and he can go get em in center.

One thing to note about Young is, he was on an absolute terror until they moved him up in the lineup. Since then he's entered a horrible slump (probably been for about two weeks). Heck of a future though and damn is he fast.

He stole a ton of bases the two Intimidator games I saw and he's got great high end speed and good acceleration.