White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Default Sunday's Warthogs game in Kinston

I am just starting this thread because I don't have time to do much else right now. I will check in with it later.

I went to the game and actually kept score. The Warthogs lost 5-4.

I will write up a brief recap later of the players and the stadium etc.

If anyone is interested in my personal take on an individual player from the team, respond to this thread so I can spend some extra detail on it.

I'm not a scout and probably spent too much time watching the game just to have some fun, but it won't be the last time I see them his year either. I am going to try to make a game every series they come to Kinston.

Next time I'll take my camera.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-11-2005, 01:18 PM

Okay... so here is my impression of the players I saw...

The staring pitcher, Rafael Flores is huge (6'7", 220). He struggled with his control and tended to nibble a lot. When he got down 4-1, the pitching coach came out and paid him a visit and then he settled down and threw some hard stuff that generated a couple of K's. He had another K in the next inning to end it, but gave up some hard shots that inning, one of which was turned into the defensive gem of the game by Mike Myers. His final line of 4 IP, 7H 4R, 4ER, 3BB was unimpressive.

Ehren Wasserman came in to pitch the 8th and used his sidearm delivery to keep the K-Tribe off balance. He had 2 K's and a ground out to second.

The other pitchers Orionny Lopez and #43 (name unknown - hey, I'm deaf and the roster didn't have it listed) were solid but unspectacular in their stints. Lopez worked 2 innings and gave up a run, but struggled with his control and had a couple of hard hit flyballs that the batters got just under or they would have been gone. 43 was more impressive, but nothing to write home about from what I saw.

Offensively, the Hogs were unimpressive. They didn't work the count very well, but a few players stood out.

Chris Amador who was playing 2B. He had a SH, 1b, 2b and a two-run jack in the 9th that brought the Hogs to within one run. Defensively he didn't appear to have much range at 2B. I wonder if his future is at 3B if anywhere in the IF.

Leo Daigle played 1B. He had a 1B, 2B and BB. He seemed the most impressive offensive talent of the playes who played. Big and strong with an aggressive attitude. He looks hitterish as Hawk would say. He wasn't nervous or afraid in any way and seemed to expect to do well.

Mike Myers played CF. He hit the ball hard in 4 of his 5 AB, getting a double (which was misplayed) and 3 flyouts to right for his trouble. All of the shots to RF were hard hit, but didn't fall. I don't know if he was making a concerted effort to go the opposite way and his sole hit was to LF and should have been a single, except it was misplayed. Defensively he had a couple of great plays including a diving grab in deep CF in the 4th that would have surely driven in a run and possibly led to a big inning.

Other names who played:

Micah Schnurstein 3B: 0-4 with a K

Robert Valido SS: Had two hits late and scored a run. He played well in the field, but didn't have any demanding plays.

Carlos Lee C: 1-4 1R (may have been PH for in the 9th, I admit that I didn't pay enough attention). He was aggressive at trying to pick guys off including once throwing to second trying to get a guy who had a big lead and was retreating. He may have even got one of the guys at 1B but didn't get the call.

None of Norm Martel, Travis Hinton or Thomas Collaro reached base.

The best player in the game was clearly the K-Tribe pitcher Billy Traber who threw a nasty fastball and a nice change from what I could tell. He was close to the plate all game and had a solid line 6IP, 4H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4K, 1BB. Offensively the K-Tribe looked solid, with the middle of their lineup doing the majority of the damage. Names to possibly watch out for from what I saw Brad Snyder, Ryan Goleski and Shaun Larkin (anyone know if he is related to the MLB player with the same last name?)

It was still a great time. I was sitting as close to Home as the pitcher's mound. Nice to go to a game that easily and cheaply ($7 ticket for one of the best seats in the house and free parking). Found out today that my landlord regularly gets tickets from a guy he does work for. He saw my car at the game yesterday, but didn't find me. We weren't sitting that far apart either - too funny.

If people want to give me tips on things to look for I will try to do a better job of reporting back in the future.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Nice work, Jim.

Quote:
#43 (name unknown - hey, I'm deaf and the roster didn't have it listed)
Probably LHP Fabio Castro. Keep an eye on this kid. Schnurstein and Valido also are prosepects to watch, along with the Warthog's trio of lefty starters, a RHP named Bakker, and the leadoff hitter (Nanita). The national publications like Miller, but he's never gotten much love here.

Myers is a utility guy, though he's posted some solid numbers in the past.

As you probably already know, Lee is El Caballo's younger brother and the backup catcher.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
Nice work, Jim.

Probably LHP Fabio Castro. Keep an eye on this kid. Schnurstein and Valido also are prosepects to watch, along with the Warthog's trio of lefty starters, a RHP named Bakker, and the leadoff hitter (Nanita). The national publications like Miller, but he's never gotten much love here.

Myers is a utility guy, though he's posted some solid numbers in the past.

As you probably already know, Lee is El Caballo's younger brother and the backup catcher.
I don't recall which arm the pitcher in question used. Goo idea to write it down if something similar happens in the future.

I do remember the names Schnurstein and Valido from previous discussions about minor leaguers, it is one reason I tried to separate them from the pack.

I am surprised by the Myers revalation. He looked real solid even at the plate, showing more patience than most of the others did.

Yes, I knew Lee was Lee's brother... It's really the only reason he got mentioned.