White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 01:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I do not a agree with this statement only because the sample size is too small. The White Sox minor league philosophy needs to change, they should not push guys ahead because they have a good 150- 200 at bats at a level. The ability to shake off cold streaks and show consistency over 400+ at bats should be taken very seriously.
I agree that the sample size is small and am not advocating they get moved today. But if they continue as they are currently then I would move them up a level. It is not at all outrageous for a college player to end up in A+ their first year. Fairly typical for the good ones so if Burger shows that A-ball is too easy for him then that is normal.

As for Eloy, he was hitting well in A+ for the Cubs before we got him and is continuing to do so for the Sox so it is not as small a sample size as it appears. Yes, at 20, he would be an exception moving up to AA but that is part of why he is such a highly ranked prospect. If he continues to play as well as he is then moving him up is the thing to do.

And organizationally the Sox need to clear their logjam of outfielders at A+ and A ball so that all their prospects can play. Eloy appears to easily be the best prepared prospect to move to AA of the bunch.

In general, I agree with what you are saying. But if these guys continue as they are then they are showing they are ready.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Saw a comment by a guy I know in a different forum where he was discussing the trade with the Yankees. He is a Yankees fan and has claimed to have inside information with them in the past. I only know him online so don't really know if his claim is good or not. But...

In discussing the trade he said that the Yankees believed Rutherford was not developing as he should. Seems a little early to me to drawing any conclusions but that was his claim. Then I saw this at MLB Trade Rumors...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...utherford.html

I still think it is waaaaay too early to be drawing any conclusions about a 20 year old guy that hasn't even completed one years yet. Particularly one that is putting up good numbers so far.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=ruther000bla

The Sox almost certainly aren't looking for Rutherford to play CF. Luis Robert has first claim there. And both Jiminez and Adolfo probably have a better claim to RF so even if he isn't a stellar defender (50 grade for both throw and field) he should be plenty fine in LF. And if he hits for average and OBP then not delivering as much power as originally hoped should also be fine as the other Sox prospects promise to deliver plenty of that. Just interesting to see what they are saying.
My only thought is that they were disappointed in his power numbers -
particularly if they view him as a corner OF. He seems like he's still filling out his frame (6' 3") so that seems like a weird thing to sweat.

For fun, go back and look at the gushing reviews of his game from before the '16 draft.

"He was a consensus top ten talent — Keith Law (6th), MLB.com (8th), and Baseball America (9th) all ranked Rutherford highly — who fell because of bonus demands and the fact he turned 19 last month. The signing deadline is July 15th. The scouting report on Rutherford is awfully exciting. Keith Law said he has a “unique combination of hit and power and has shown an ability to spray well-hit balls to all fields,” while Baseball America wrote “(some) scouts see him as a potential power-hitting center fielder in the Jim Edmonds mold.”
Old 07-24-2017, 07:59 PM
WSI Regular

Fulmer lit up again. Is a demotion in order? Doesn't appear capable of hanging at AAA.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
Fulmer lit up again. Is a demotion in order? Doesn't appear capable of hanging at AAA.
Definitely concerning.

However, I'd like more information. Is he getting lit up because he's working on a new pitch that he hasn't yet mastered? Or throwing a lot of fastballs in order to get better fastball command? I'm sure the Sox are fully aware of whatever might be going on with him and will do whatever is necessary to maximize the possibility that he will be able to contribute to the big league club in some way.

Put another way, if he can't make it with the Sox, he probably can't make it anywhere.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Definitely concerning.

However, I'd like more information. Is he getting lit up because he's working on a new pitch that he hasn't yet mastered? Or throwing a lot of fastballs in order to get better fastball command? I'm sure the Sox are fully aware of whatever might be going on with him and will do whatever is necessary to maximize the possibility that he will be able to contribute to the big league club in some way.

Put another way, if he can't make it with the Sox, he probably can't make it anywhere.
He has the stuff for long term relief but not starting. Scouts were more or less spot on with him.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
He has the stuff for long term relief but not starting. Scouts were more or less spot on with him.
In hindsight, perhaps the Sox should have drafted Happ. I think Benintendi was their guy. Oh well...
Old 07-24-2017, 10:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Great Falls guys still doing some work:
Anthony Villa another HR tonight, #8. 3 for 5 for the night.

Dedelow 2 for 5 with 2 RBIs.

Logan Taylor out of Louisville is off to a nice start since signing. Hitting .478 in 10 games.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:13 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
In hindsight, perhaps the Sox should have drafted Happ. I think Benintendi was their guy. Oh well...
Would love to have Happ with the other collection of young talent. Was hoping they'd get him as part of the Q deal.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:51 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Would love to have Happ with the other collection of young talent. Was hoping they'd get him as part of the Q deal.
Yes so much versatile and MLB ready. But contending teams dont trade a guy like that at the deadline, the Sox would have had to wait till offseason.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:13 AM
WSI Prelate

MLB.com has updated their Top 100 prospects to reflect the 2017 amateur draft. The Sox Top 30 is also updated:

Moncada (1 overall)
Jimenez (7)
Kopech (12)
Robert (26)
Rutherford (45)
Lopez (60)
Giolito (61)
Cease (69)
Hansen
Collins
Dunning
Fulmer
Burger
Burdi
Adams
Adolfo
Sheets
Basabe
Stephens
Tilson
Guerrero
Clarkin
Skoug
Fisher
Call
Bummer
Nunez
Martinez
Flores
Delmonico
Old 07-25-2017, 08:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
MLB.com has updated their Top 100 prospects to reflect the 2017 amateur draft. The Sox Top 30 is also updated:

Moncada (1 overall)
Jimenez (7)
Kopech (12)
Robert (26)
Rutherford (45)
Lopez (60)
Giolito (61)
Cease (69)
Hansen
Collins
Dunning
Fulmer
Burger
Burdi
Adams
Adolfo
Sheets
Basabe
Stephens
Tilson
Guerrero
Clarkin
Skoug
Fisher
Call
Bummer
Nunez
Martinez
Flores
Delmonico
A bit surprised Burger didn't crack the top 100 given the others that made it from this year's draft. I assume that, if he continues at this pace, he will be on it next year. Still, you can tell how ridiculous our farm system has become when it is completely unrecognizable from years past.

EDIT: anyone know when Robert is coming back?

I feel like he has missed a lot of baseball in the last year.

Also, for any of you that have the MILB.TV subscription, how does it work? Do you get every A, A+, AA, and AAA game? Next year will be interesting for me on almost every level assuming call ups where they are supposed to be. I may want to sign up. Especially when it is relatively inexpensive.

Last edited by guillensdisciple; 07-25-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Moncada (1 overall)
Jimenez (7)
Kopech (12)
Robert (26)
Rutherford (45)
Lopez (60)
Giolito (61)
Cease (69)
Hansen
Collins
Dunning
Fulmer
Burger
Burdi
Adams
Adolfo
Sheets
Basabe
Stephens
Tilson
Guerrero
Clarkin
Skoug
Fisher
Call
Bummer
Nunez
Martinez
Flores
Delmonico
Kind of concerning that so many of our top prospects fell in this list? Rutherford, Lopez and Giolito dropped, while Fulmer and Collins out of the Top 100 entirely.

I don't really understand why Tilson is even in the Sox top 30- turns 25 in December, not that great of a prospect even before a full year of injuries. Only plus tool he has is running- and all of his injuries are leg injuries.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 07-25-2017, 09:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Kind of concerning that so many of our top prospects fell in this list? Rutherford, Lopez and Giolito dropped, while Fulmer and Collins out of the Top 100 entirely.

I don't really understand why Tilson is even in the Sox top 30- turns 25 in December, not that great of a prospect even before a full year of injuries. Only plus tool he has is running- and all of his injuries are leg injuries.
A bigger issue I see here too is that not a single drafted player from the Hahn era is listed on there. Sox have been drafting in the top half for a few seasons now.

Collins and Fulmer dropping off the list is concerning. Rodon is still a big question mark.

Is player development still a glaring issue here?
Old 07-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
A bit surprised Burger didn't crack the top 100 given the others that made it from this year's draft. I assume that, if he continues at this pace, he will be on it next year. Still, you can tell how ridiculous our farm system has become when it is completely unrecognizable from years past.

EDIT: anyone know when Robert is coming back?

I feel like he has missed a lot of baseball in the last year.

Also, for any of you that have the MILB.TV subscription, how does it work? Do you get every A, A+, AA, and AAA game? Next year will be interesting for me on almost every level assuming call ups where they are supposed to be. I may want to sign up. Especially when it is relatively inexpensive.
Rick Hahn said it'd be about two weeks until Robert was ready...but it hasn't been two weeks since he's said that.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
A bigger issue I see here too is that not a single drafted player from the Hahn era is listed on there. Sox have been drafting in the top half for a few seasons now.

Collins and Fulmer dropping off the list is concerning. Rodon is still a big question mark.

Is player development still a glaring issue here?
On Fulmer, I am not sure if player development is the issue. Maybe we tried to rush him too quickly, but that stems from over-evaluation rather than development. We desperately wanted him to be a starter even though most were saying he was a reliever. If we scale back, he will still be a good baseball player, but in a different position of need.

Collins, however, is a different issue. The great ones figure it out in the lower levels regardless. Some need more time, but those are usually exceptionally young. Adolfo and Basabe are ones I would place in that posititon. Collins comes in with a bunch of seasoning, and a bunch of hype behind him. Him struggling in A+ is definitely concerning. Many who I have listened to have said the same. We need to see some kind of improvement towards the end of the year, and going into next year. Being a low average hitter with so many strike outs in A+ does not bode well.

I know coaches need to make changes on swings in the lower levels, but there are no immediate payoffs with him. He still holds all of the power in the world, but it seems like he works himself into so many high counts because of patience that he ultimately gets himself out.
Closed Thread