White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2019, 12:52 PM
WSI Guru

Default Rick Hahn haters thread

I figured certain people should have their own place to vent about how much our general manager sucks. You know who you are, so have at it.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

You mean instead of seemingly every single post-game thread and even now in the minor league forum? Say it ain't so!
Old 04-25-2019, 01:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't know if I would qualify as a hater, and I have generally supported the rebuild, but needless to say, I am still pissed about the lack of the big FA (its not like 3B hasn't been a black hole for nearly a decade, or that there wasn't a need for a RF after sending Avi packing) signing to use as a foundation for the rebuild. This last off-season was both a personnel and PR disaster, period.

More than anything, right now I find Hahn to be emblematic of the problem that there seems to be absolutely no accountability for failure in this organization. If there was, Hahn would have already been shown the door.

Rant over. Thanks, that was therapeutic and I needed that.

Risk

"Is minic a ghearr teanga duine a scornach"-(Celtic)
"it is often that a person's tongue cut his throat"

Last edited by Risk; 04-25-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risk View Post
More than anything, right now I find Hahn to be emblematic of the problem that there seems to be absolutely no accountability for failure in this organization. If there was, Hahn would have already been shown the door.
You could swap out Hahn for Williams, and it would make just as much sense.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:11 PM
WSI Regular

I'm not a Hahn hater. I credit him with the rebuild. Without that, we would be without hope. The rebuild may not guarantee a WS but we will be better; much better.
We don't know the inner workings of the Sox organization. Hahn is the front man of the leadership but his boss is Kenny whose boss is Jerry. You can't blame Hahn for Machado. You don't know what limitations were placed on Rick. I don't blame him for trading Frenando Tatis jr for Shields. This trade was stupid but I smell Kenny Williams all over that trade (i.e. trading prospects for players past their prime).
Old 04-25-2019, 02:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risk View Post
I don't know if I would qualify as a hater, and I have generally supported the rebuild, but needless to say, I am still pissed about the lack of the big FA (its not like 3B hasn't been a black whole for nearly a decade, or that there wasn't a need for a RF after sending Avi packing) signing to use as a foundation for the rebuild. This last off-season was both a personnel and PR disaster, period.

Rant over. Thanks, that was therapeutic and I needed that.

Risk
Can't argue with this comment.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:28 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm more pissed about the accountability and I would love to have answers to the following questions...

How is Don Cooper still working with this team?

Who suggested the Sox sign Santana and trade for Nova?

Why didn't they sign Gio Gonzalez the first or second time he was available this year?

Why is Cease in AAA? The pitching on the major club is BRUTAL.

Who is responsible for not breaking out the money for a big FA this year?

Has this always been viewed as another "rebuild year?" I thought they were supposed to show signs of improvement THIS season.

Did they say we are not trying this year because of Kopech's injury?

This team just lost a series to a team actively trying to start their rebuild while the Sox are supposed to be coming out of theirs. It is infuriating.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbrechtel View Post
I'm more pissed about the accountability and I would love to have answers to the following questions...

Why didn't they sign Gio Gonzalez the first or second time he was available this year?

Has this always been viewed as another "rebuild year?" I thought they were supposed to show signs of improvement THIS season.

This team just lost a series to a team actively trying to start their rebuild while the Sox are supposed to be coming out of theirs. It is infuriating.
Now this is a great post! I couldnít have said it better!
Old 04-25-2019, 04:07 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

There's been a lot of talk about accountability going around lately, and I'd like to know what people would actually want from them. For them to say "my bad" on a signing when we are still in the first month of the season? Fire people in a rebuilding year when the player additions made were not long term effecting and as core pieces like Anderson and Moncada take massive strides forward?

Cooper is still with the team because he's proven that he knows how to get the most out of pitchers. They are not blaming him for the lack of talent that he's been tasked to oversee the last few years. They like direction that he is taking with Rodon and Lopez, and don't want to change their trajectory with a new pitching coach. He's also given credit for Sale and Quintana, the last 2 pitchers to have talent on the staff.

Who suggested Nova and Santana? Obviously either Hahn or Williams, as they make the personnel decisions for the org. They were only brought in to eat innings. If they both had an ERA of 4.50 everything would be great with the Sox?

Gio Gonzalez: How do you know they didn't reach out to him and he said he only wants to play for an immediate contender? If he was going to sign for cheap (which he did), why not sign for that with a good team that would for sure be an option?

Cease is in AAA because he isn't ready for the bigs yet. Period. He's still only throwing 5 inning outings currently. They are not going to disrupt their roadmap for him based on bad pitching in the bigs.

Who's responsible for not spending big in the offseason? That's Jerry, obviously. Been discussed to death on this site. They were only going to spend on Machado, if it was done "their way". Unfortunate line of thinking, but that's what it was.

Was only viewed as a another rebuild year when they missed out on Machado. More deals would have followed if they landed him.

Kopech: No, never said.

So the Sox lost a series to an other rebuilding team? Who cares. That's baseball. Bad teams lose to bad teams. Good teams also lose to bad teams. This happens frequently.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:15 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
There's been a lot of talk about accountability going around lately, and I'd like to know what people would actually want from them. For them to say "my bad" on a signing when we are still in the first month of the season? Fire people in a rebuilding year when the player additions made were not long term effecting and as core pieces like Anderson and Moncada take massive strides forward?

Cooper is still with the team because he's proven that he knows how to get the most out of pitchers. They are not blaming him for the lack of talent that he's been tasked to oversee the last few years. They like direction that he is taking with Rodon and Lopez, and don't want to change their trajectory with a new pitching coach. He's also given credit for Sale and Quintana, the last 2 pitchers to have talent on the staff.

Who suggested Nova and Santana? Obviously either Hahn or Williams, as they make the personnel decisions for the org. They were only brought in to eat innings. If they both had an ERA of 4.50 everything would be great with the Sox?

Gio Gonzalez: How do you know they didn't reach out to him and he said he only wants to play for an immediate contender? If he was going to sign for cheap (which he did), why not sign for that with a good team that would for sure be an option?

Cease is in AAA because he isn't ready for the bigs yet. Period. He's still only throwing 5 inning outings currently. They are not going to disrupt their roadmap for him based on bad pitching in the bigs.

Who's responsible for not spending big in the offseason? That's Jerry, obviously. Been discussed to death on this site. They were only going to spend on Machado, if it was done "their way". Unfortunate line of thinking, but that's what it was.

Was only viewed as a another rebuild year when they missed out on Machado. More deals would have followed if they landed him.

So the Sox lost a series to an other rebuilding team? Who cares. That's baseball. Bad teams lose to bad teams. Good teams also lose to bad teams. This happens frequently.
I was coming back to basically make the same post though you answered more of the questions than I would have.

I do want to add that I think it's obvious that Kopech's injury changed the way the team viewed 2019. Missing on Machado probably contributed to not wanting to commit big resources to this season. Obviously with Kopech one of Nova or Santana wouldn't be here.

I completely agree Cease should be brought along at the pace the team thinks is right for him and never based on fan angst.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-25-2019, 04:56 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Just some thoughts.

Given the state of the franchise OVER AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME circa 2007 on, yes it probably would not be a bad idea to hold a press conference and do a mea culpa for the fan base. The track record for basically the past 12 years has been horrific. Admitting mistakes and announcing how things will be different (i.e. lay out a plan) would go a long way towards having the fan base take a step back and give some (notice I said some) benefit of the doubt.

The issue with Nova and Santana is they aren't even eating innings. If that was the sole purpose for getting them, they are failing at it and as others have posted the Sox have plenty of retreads in their own organization who could have been given a shot, done just as bad and not wasted money.

I again bring up what I was told by a high ranking member of the front office, if there aren't real, tangible signs of improvement this year on the field the pressure on the front office will be ratcheted up exponentially. And who knows where that could lead going into next year (Maybe another half assed approach to "going for it?")

Another dismal season could have major ramifications, maybe that would be good...maybe it would make things worse, who knows?
Old 04-26-2019, 03:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

The accountability I am talking about is White Sox major league scouting and the structure of the front office.

First, they outright lied to the fans this offseason. "we deserve to be at the table" and they got outbid by the padres for a guy they wanted so bad they signed a guy who is on the IL and traded another guy who is hitting .186.

Second, someone has to start games and eat innings. They obviously failed big time finding someone to do these things. That is on your pro-scouting department

I know they didn't outright say "well kopech is out so we will tank one more year" that was more rhetorical.

Finally, me complaining about the series loss to Baltimore was purely out of frustration. I know how baseball works.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:18 PM
WSI Regular

I can't argue and feel the same frustrations but here are my thoughts.

Quote:

I agree with you but accountability has to start at the top. Reinsdorf has never held anyone accountable. This will not change as long as he's calling the shots.

Same answer as above

I'm guessing JR. The problem as I see it is they put all their eggs in the "Machado basket". They prevented them from going after a solid pitcher/catcher and whoever. They lost the Manny bid and it was too late to move on needed resources.

Not pretty so far but hopefully they start clicking.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Because, as great as he might be soon, he's not ready yet. I have to agree with the Sox on this one. Last year was the first season that he had more than 100 innings pitched in a season. They're ramping up his workload slowly as they should. I don't want the Sox to rush him to the majors just because Nova and Santana suck.

If he keeps progressing, maybe we'll see Cease in Chicago in the 2nd half of this season. By the way, his last outing, he gave up 5 R in 4.2 IP and tonight he's given up 5 runs so far (3 earned) in 3.0 IP. He's still a work in progress.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2019, 08:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Yup. Canít fire the owner. Everything else is destined to be handicapped by that simple yet profound fact.

Itís pretty hypercritical for anyone in ownership to lay down some sort of gauntlet regarding 2019 success after they went cheap on Machado and got burned for it.