White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2019, 09:38 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

If this matter is going to be delved into deeply, I think you will find many teams involved. Over the years I think this kind of sign stealing was more prevalent than tipping.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:50 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

I want MLB to go for the juggular here and send a loud and aggressive message that this won't be tolerated going forward. I propose the Astros must forfeit 1 home game to each American League team. That means they start 0-14 as well as lose 14 days of revenue.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:01 AM
WSI High Priest

This really sheds new light on the Gerritt Cole post game interview. I thought it was a prick move at first, but now it seems like he had good reason. He obviously wanted to disassociate himself from the organization as quickly as possible.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
3 managers are being implicated: Beltran, Hinch, and Cora

https://theathletic.com/1376638/2019...-stealing/?amp

I don't know if we'll see lifetime bans but I'm betting all 3 may get a 50 game suspension.
I think Hinch has got to go at least a year. He shouldn't have a job in mlb. Probably the GM too. I don't see how he could be unaware this was going on.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
This really sheds new light on the Gerritt Cole post game interview. I thought it was a prick move at first, but now it seems like he had good reason. He obviously wanted to disassociate himself from the organization as quickly as possible.

It was a classless move regardless of whether it was a classless organization.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Makes you wonder if Christopher Correa has some things to share that he can’t. Stuff like this is so ****ing bush league and usually the result of systematic pushing of the rules.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
It was a classless move regardless of whether it was a classless organization.
I don't know. If he knew thay were cheating and disproved, I can't blame him. It's not like he chose to play for the Astros.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I think Hinch has got to go at least a year. He shouldn't have a job in mlb. Probably the GM too. I don't see how he could be unaware this was going on.
Innocent until proven guilty?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-16-2019, 12:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
I want MLB to go for the juggular here and send a loud and aggressive message that this won't be tolerated going forward. I propose the Astros must forfeit 1 home game to each American League team. That means they start 0-14 as well as lose 14 days of revenue.
No way other teams go for this. The visiting teams would still be losing money and exposure. Plus it was set a precedent that other teams probably don't want either.

As for those saying there still isn't proof of this...really? Everyone in the media is reporting it as fact. Players are talking about it. Front offices are talking about it. In fact the only people who seem to still be in denial are Astros fans and 4 people on WSI.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Innocent until proven guilty?
It's proved they are guilty by the preponderance of evidence available. A court may operate under presumption of innocence, but if you witness a crime you don't need a court decision to understand the perpetrator is guilty of it.

Last edited by TheVulture; 11-16-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
It's proved they are guilty by the preponderance of evidence available. A court may operate under presumption of innocence, but if you witness a crime you don't need a court decision to understand the perpetrator is guilty of it.
If you're punishing individuals you sure as heck do. Or, maybe hearsay evidence is as good as hard evidence?
Old 11-17-2019, 08:31 AM
WSI High Priest

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...eal-signs.html

Investigators now have an email from a Houston executive suggesting that cameras be used to steal signs
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 11-17-2019, 09:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...eal-signs.html

Investigators now have an email from a Houston executive suggesting that cameras be used to steal signs
Haha, "be sure your sins (or signs) shall find you out," boys.

Let's just give pitchers and catchers headsets like at McDonald's. We are powerless to resist technology, right? By my calculations, transferring pitch signals electronically could shave 24.2 to 31.75 seconds (roughly) off every at bat, which would turn even the slowest pitcher into a Buehrle-like model of efficiency. Of course, the audio would have to be encrypted — we can't have insecure wireless communication in something as important as MLB.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernam View Post
Let's just give pitchers and catchers headsets like at McDonald's. We are powerless to resist technology, right? By my calculations, transferring pitch signals electronically could shave 24.2 to 31.75 seconds (roughly) off every at bat, which would turn even the slowest pitcher into a Buehrle-like model of efficiency. Of course, the audio would have to be encrypted — we can't have insecure wireless communication in something as important as MLB.
Yes, this would be fine with me.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Take all technology away, and you don't have a problem.