White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 03:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Zavala is the one who may be pushing Collins right now. It would be great, though, to have three good catching options given the recent Sox history with that position.
I agree- but if Skoug is dominating at Kannapolis- then until Collins shows he's ready for AA (I think entering the season- they would have expected him to be in Birmingham by now) we'll have a 3 catcher log jam at Winston Salem. Based on Skoug's college track record- I'm expecting Kannapolis to be a brief stop for him.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 07-21-2017, 07:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Collins just homered again for the Dash
Old 07-21-2017, 07:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Skoug and Burger with the day off?

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Jiminez was lifted for a pinch hitter with the bases loaded tonight. Anyone know why?
Old 07-21-2017, 11:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Jiminez was lifted for a pinch hitter with the bases loaded tonight. Anyone know why?
@ChuckGarfien "Eloy Jimenez took a foul ball off his left foot tonight. Stayed in the game for the rest of the at-bat, but is now out of the game."

Hopefully just precautionary
Old 07-22-2017, 06:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Seems like maybe Kopech is really breaking through- prob his best start last night, while Giolito really got lit up.
Question: Is Kopech pitching or throwing?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-22-2017, 11:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Question: Is Kopech pitching or throwing?
8 IP, zero walks....I think he's pitching.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Nice starts by Lopez and Guerrero last night, Polo with his debut at Birmingham (1-4), Z. Collins hitting .280 over his past 10 games- a very good sign, surprised to see Burger and Skoug not playing at Kannapolis last night.

It's really eye opening the influx of talent in our system (affiliates) over the past week- Jiminez, Rutherford, Cease, Clarkin, Burger, Skoug, Polo- in my 46 years of being a Sox fan, I don't know if I can remember a time when so much talent came into the org in such a brief time span...there have been times when we had alot of pitching in the minors, but this is by far, the most talent we've ever had with position players. It's a lot of fun tracking these guys.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:02 PM
WSI Personality

I find myself coming to the Minor League forum with coffee in hand every morning now. Just checking to see "who did what". Reminds me of checking the box scores in the paper when I was a kid.

There's an energy around this organization that's been absent for a long time. Time wil tell how this all works out, but for the moment I don't care. It's better than where we were.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Saw a comment by a guy I know in a different forum where he was discussing the trade with the Yankees. He is a Yankees fan and has claimed to have inside information with them in the past. I only know him online so don't really know if his claim is good or not. But...

In discussing the trade he said that the Yankees believed Rutherford was not developing as he should. Seems a little early to me to drawing any conclusions but that was his claim. Then I saw this at MLB Trade Rumors...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...utherford.html

Quote:
Blake Rutherford, the outfield prospect who headlined the minor league package sent to Chicago, received less-than-stellar reviews from the five executives, who questioned Rutherford’s power potential and his ability to stay as a center fielder. One NL executive felt the Yankees may have sold high on Rutherford “when the buzz was still good” about his potential. Incidentally, Sherman reports that Rutherford was also part of the Yankees’ offer to the White Sox for Quintana.
I still think it is waaaaay too early to be drawing any conclusions about a 20 year old guy that hasn't even completed one years yet. Particularly one that is putting up good numbers so far.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=ruther000bla

The Sox almost certainly aren't looking for Rutherford to play CF. Luis Robert has first claim there. And both Jiminez and Adolfo probably have a better claim to RF so even if he isn't a stellar defender (50 grade for both throw and field) he should be plenty fine in LF. And if he hits for average and OBP then not delivering as much power as originally hoped should also be fine as the other Sox prospects promise to deliver plenty of that. Just interesting to see what they are saying.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Now that we have the #1 system in the game -- at least until Moncada uses up his rookie eligibility -- I confess to being surprised the minor league teams aren't winning more. I know there are a lot of factors -- including the managers' unfamiliarity with the players, the players' lack of familiarity with each other, the fact that the talent is distributed unevenly by position at each level -- but we shouldn't be having days where all the teams lose, should we?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Now that we have the #1 system in the game -- at least until Moncada uses up his rookie eligibility -- I confess to being surprised the minor league teams aren't winning more. I know there are a lot of factors -- including the managers' unfamiliarity with the players, the players' lack of familiarity with each other, the fact that the talent is distributed unevenly by position at each level -- but we shouldn't be having days where all the teams lose, should we?
I think the biggest factor is that, particularly with Moncada up, most of the best hitters are at A+ and below, and most of the best pitchers are at AA and AAA. I think the second biggest factor is that, while our top 10-20 is really stellar, after that our system is average or below average.

Having pivoted from a system that prized developing pitchers to one that drafted and then traded for a lot of hitters (high risk/upside guys in trades and high floor college hitters in the draft), the Sox will need to swing back to the middle and a "best player available" draft strategy, and also start to take some risks with more high upside high school kids.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Is Burger okay?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
8 IP, zero walks....I think he's pitching.
So he's mixing speeds?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Is Burger okay?
Is there some reason, other than him not playing last night, that you ask?

I wouldn't worry about him being given a night off every once in a while. I noticed they did that for him in rookie ball too. At Kanny he is rotating positions between third with Remillard and DH with a variety of others. Probably just his night to rotate out.
Closed Thread