Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2018, 09:38 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
No they donít.

We have the rest of the year to anticipate and avoid Shieldsís home starts if we so choose. Fans who buy tickets based on a promotion or special event like Oening Day canít turn around and cry foul because the team didnít derail the regularly-scheduled rotation to cater to their promotional game. As far as the team is concerned, itís just 1 game of 162.
And what if Shields... *GASP*... pitches well?

I know... I know... thatís unpoosible. IĒvet been informed of that fact by some posters at WSI, so it just be true...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-01-2018, 10:08 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
No they donít.

We have the rest of the year to anticipate and avoid Shieldsís home starts if we so choose. Fans who buy tickets based on a promotion or special event like Oening Day canít turn around and cry foul because the team didnít derail the regularly-scheduled rotation to cater to their promotional game. As far as the team is concerned, itís just 1 game of 162.
Opening Day is different. I get your point, but this day has more significance for a number of reasons, from a historical perspective most notably. There is some merit to trying to win on Opening Day. I agree you donít mess around with the rotation for Dog Day or Jason Bennetti bobble head night, but you try your best to win on O.D.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:10 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
And what if Shields... *GASP*... pitches well?

I know... I know... thatís unpoosible. IĒvet been informed of that fact by some posters at WSI, so it just be true...
He covered himself by saying ďanticipate or avoidĒ. Bottom line, I think we are all more confident in Shields than Fuller right now.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Opening Day is different. I get your point, but this day has more significance for a number of reasons, from a historical perspective most notably. There is some merit to trying to win on Opening Day. I agree you donít mess around with the rotation for Dog Day or Jason Bennetti bobble head night, but you try your best to win on O.D.
Well, good thing we already did.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
Which puts you in a dilemma if you open the season on the road...

You know the opponent will be throwing their best pitcher on Opening Day. I canít justify intentionally giving myself a worse chance of winning any of the games on the road just to give myself a better chance of winning the home opener.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:50 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
He covered himself by saying ďanticipate or avoidĒ. Bottom line, I think we are all more confident in Shields than Fuller right now.
I don't think the average casual fan thinks about this stuff that deeply. They go to Opening day because it's a tradition and it's fun and because it's sometimes an excuse to skip work or school and do something with the family.

Of course by Thursday the Sox will be 5-0 and 3 games in first and on their way to greatness, so perhaps this year it will mean a little more...
Old 04-02-2018, 12:48 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Of course by Thursday the Sox will be 5-0 and 3 games in first and on their way to greatness, so perhaps this year it will mean a little more...
162-0 baby!

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 04-02-2018, 01:34 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
162-0 baby!
In all seriousness, what happens if the White Sox are tied for 1st place at the All Star Break? Nice problem to have, but you got to go with the hot hand and go for it, be a buyer not a seller.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I don't deny that, but the fans who show up for the opener deserve better.
Quote:
No they don’t.

We have the rest of the year to anticipate and avoid Shields’s home starts if we so choose. Fans who buy tickets based on a promotion or special event like Oening Day can’t turn around and cry foul because the team didn’t derail the regularly-scheduled rotation to cater to their promotional game. As far as the team is concerned, it’s just 1 game of 162.
Quote:
Opening Day is different. I get your point, but this day has more significance for a number of reasons, from a historical perspective most notably. There is some merit to trying to win on Opening Day. I agree you don’t mess around with the rotation for Dog Day or Jason Bennetti bobble head night, but you try your best to win on O.D.

Sorry, but the fans deserve no more or no less whether it is game one, thirty-seven or one hundred and thirty-seven.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 04-02-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff
In all seriousness, what happens if the White Sox are tied for 1st place at the All Star Break? Nice problem to have, but you got to go with the hot hand and go for it, be a buyer not a seller.
I think the correct decision would be to ďstand pat,Ē or possibly make some low-priced depth moves.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I think the correct decision would be to ďstand pat,Ē or possibly make some low-priced depth moves.
Right, if they're in first place, it means that things have turned out just right in almost every capacity at the big league level (Davidson is for real, Avi has another good year, Moncada turns into a star, the pitching is better than expected, etc.) and you just keep going with what's working. Only changes I would make is plugging in Eloy and Kopech if they're ready. No sense keeping them in the minors in a pennant race.

But this is all pie in the sky thinking. I look at the names on that pitching staff and just shudder sometimes.