GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2018, 11:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
As long as Engel is banished to Charlotte or wherever, I'm fine with these moves. I don't think Saladino was going to do anything here anyway, so no big loss there.
Totally agreed. I'm not one to bash a player but Engel couldn't hit and couldn't field at the MLB level, let alone at the CF position.

I know the Sox are trying to lose but Engel is too obvious of a tank job.

Last edited by Irishsox1; 04-20-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
Totally agreed. I'm not one to bash a player but that Engel couldn't hit and couldn't field at the MLB level, let alone at the CF position.

I know the Sox are trying to lose but Engel is too obvious of a tank job.
Actually I think Engel is a pretty good fielder...his issue is he can't hit a lick.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:03 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Actually I think Engel is a pretty good fielder...his issue is he can't hit a lick.
Bingo
Old 04-20-2018, 12:33 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
There have been several plays this year he should have made as an "elite defender". I am shocked how much he has appeared to regress after what he showed last season.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-20-2018, 12:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
There have been several plays this year he should have made as an "elite defender". I am shocked how much he has appeared to regress after what he showed last season.
Bingo. For all the hype about the glove, he's left me not impressed on a bunch of plays already. He'd need to be Andrew Jones great with the glove in CF to even consider his lack of offense. And that would be a stretch there.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
Bingo. For all the hype about the glove, he's left me not impressed on a bunch of plays already. He'd need to be Andrew Jones great with the glove in CF to even consider his lack of offense. And that would be a stretch there.
I canít express how little I care about the offensive contributions being made by these placeholders. 1-2-3 innings at the plate arenít going to make the game stall like errors and botched plays in the outfield. Just get in and get out in a quick and orderly fashion, and shoring up the defense will help with that. Take the 5-1 or 5-2 loss at the hands of some garbage soft-tosser, and hope that the team stays relatively free of major injuries.

Getting Thompson to replace Engel doesnít solve a problem. Getting Thompson to replace Delmonico and Leury solves a problem.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Unfortunately for Engel, that's probably the most important skill to posses in the game of baseball.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
Serious question:

I believe Saladino was the emergency catcher. Does that now fall to Leury Garcia or someone else?
Too bad you canít get special dispensation to use a bullpen catcher, like NHL teams have emergency goaltenders. Some teams may choose not to but it would be interesting.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I canít express how little I care about the offensive contributions being made by these placeholders. 1-2-3 innings at the plate arenít going to make the game stall like errors and botched plays in the outfield. Just get in and get out in a quick and orderly fashion, and shoring up the defense will help with that. Take the 5-1 or 5-2 loss at the hands of some garbage soft-tosser, and hope that the team stays relatively free of major injuries.

Getting Thompson to replace Engel doesnít solve a problem. Getting Thompson to replace Delmonico and Leury solves a problem.

He's a .274 career Slg % in 340 AB

I don't care, Tank, rebuild, placeholder blah blah blah..... next man up. The Sox have 25 Roster spots to fill up when this team ever gets good. They are in no luxury to just be "counting down outs" from here until 2020. Open tryouts. Get all the looks you can on as many players possible.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
He's a .274 career Slg % in 340 AB

I don't care, Tank, rebuild, placeholder blah blah blah..... next man up. The Sox have 25 Roster spots to fill up when this team ever gets good. They are in no luxury to just be "counting down outs" from here until 2020. Open tryouts. Get all the looks you can on as many players possible.
You really need extra looks at any of these guys? I donít.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:10 PM
WSI Prelate

I'm not sure I understand why they gave Saladino away. I didn't think he belonged on the major league roster, but this organization isn't exactly replete with middle infielders.
As for CF, they are probably going to have to make a move. Not for the "proven veteran" fodder, but for a young CF, dealing from their excess (corner players).
Old 04-20-2018, 05:43 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I'm not sure I understand why they gave Saladino away. I didn't think he belonged on the major league roster, but this organization isn't exactly replete with middle infielders.
As for CF, they are probably going to have to make a move. Not for the "proven veteran" fodder, but for a young CF, dealing from their excess (corner players).
Assuming they find a 3B in the minors and Sanchez moves to fulltime utility guy they have no major need for any IF coverage for several years.

The CF job is Roberts' to lose. With two potential replacements in AAA one of whom is currently injured and the other of whom is a question mark with an injury history there isn't a major pressing need to fill the slot at this time unless you think this team has any chance to go somewhere this season. Most don't and the Sox don't appear to be concerned, so might as well just let it play out.