White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 03-20-2018, 10:26 PM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Anything you say (as the injuries continue...LOL)

BAD LUCK, just BAD LUCK, nothing to see hear but BAD LUCK. Damn the White Sox BAD LUCK this spring...errr, last year...no wait the previous TWO YEARS...just BAD LUCK

LOL
Yes, it is bad luck. Using all caps and emojis doesn't change that. You must be new to baseball, minor injuries like these happen all the time.
  #47  
Old 03-20-2018, 11:17 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Yes, it is bad luck. Using all caps and emojis doesn't change that. You must be new to baseball, minor injuries like these happen all the time.
I'd hate to see Lip as a Mets fan.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #48  
Old 03-21-2018, 12:52 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Yes, it is bad luck. Using all caps and emojis doesn't change that. You must be new to baseball, minor injuries like these happen all the time.
OK sure. All these MINOR injuries the past two plus seasons that put guys on the DL for months at a time. Sure. Minor.

I'm done (for now until the next guy gets hurt...but remember it's just BAD LUCK. LOL.)
  #49  
Old 03-21-2018, 01:17 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Remember, "it's bad luck..." (Nothing more according to some...LOL) Those "baseball gods" just HATE the White Sox!
The correct terminology is "clustering of randomly occurring events." Social science even has a statistical method for dealing with it, called the "poisson distribution." To really simplify it, if you know that you average one event in X amount of time, and that the events are completely independent of each other (meaning that having an event has no affect on when or if the next event occurs) the poisson distribution can tell you how likely it is to have 2, 3, 4 etc. events in X amount of time.

It's not "luck," it's an expected occasional occurrence with such events.
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
  #50  
Old 03-21-2018, 04:15 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
The correct terminology is "clustering of randomly occurring events." Social science even has a statistical method for dealing with it, called the "poisson distribution." To really simplify it, if you know that you average one event in X amount of time, and that the events are completely independent of each other (meaning that having an event has no affect on when or if the next event occurs) the poisson distribution can tell you how likely it is to have 2, 3, 4 etc. events in X amount of time.

It's not "luck," it's an expected occasional occurrence with such events.
So the rate of injury occurrence is constant? By team, or over all the MLB rosters?



The Smith injury is a high ankle sprain, the Abreu issue is a hamstring issue.

The latter is a conditioning issue. That falls on the player.
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
  #51  
Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 AM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 385
Default

Where the Sox top prospects will begin the season: https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...ichael-kopech/
  #52  
Old 03-21-2018, 08:33 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,490
Default

So, what player of consequence is "injured" and is of particular long term concern?

Rodon and........

anyone?
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
  #53  
Old 03-21-2018, 09:37 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
So, what player of consequence is "injured" and is of particular long term concern?

Rodon and........

anyone?
Some might suggest Jake Burger. But even in that case, the odds of him making a full recovery from his injury are pretty good. The worst thing about his injury is that it sets back his development and ETA about a year.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your overall point.
  #54  
Old 03-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
So Giolito looks legit....
I know it's only spring training, but he's looked pretty damn good. Also, we gotta love the Runs/Hits totals from the last 2 games: Sox: 25/40 Opponents: 2/5.

Lots to like from the effort the last 2 days (except maybe the 4 total errors).
But, all we can talk about is a sprained ankle and a slight hamstring pull.

  #55  
Old 03-21-2018, 09:49 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 9,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz
So the rate of injury occurrence is constant? By team, or over all the MLB rosters?



The Smith injury is a high ankle sprain, the Abreu issue is a hamstring issue.

The latter is a conditioning issue. That falls on the player.
Nellie never made such a claim in his post. In fact, his use of words like “clustering,” “random,” and “likelihood” suggest the opposite of constancy. In other words, Nellie is making a similar overall point to the rest of us, but he worded it much better than we did.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow.
  #56  
Old 03-21-2018, 10:12 AM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Remember, "it's bad luck..." (Nothing more according to some...LOL) Those "baseball gods" just HATE the White Sox!
Lip,
Every time a Sox player gets even a routine injury, you keep putting words in other people's mouths by trotting out this fabricated "it's bad luck..." straw man quote.

No one keeps saying that except for you or in response to your using that phrase.
  #57  
Old 03-21-2018, 10:16 AM
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
OK sure. All these MINOR injuries the past two plus seasons that put guys on the DL for months at a time. Sure. Minor.

I'm done (for now until the next guy gets hurt...but remember it's just BAD LUCK. LOL.)
Ok, I'll bite: What team(s) should the Sox emulate in terms of avoiding injuries?
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
  #58  
Old 03-21-2018, 10:35 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Lip,
Every time a Sox player gets even a routine injury, you keep putting words in other people's mouths by trotting out this fabricated "it's bad luck..." straw man quote.

No one keeps saying that except for you or in response to your using that phrase.
Go back and look at the threads, there were posters who SPECIFICALLY used the term "bad luck". I didn't just pull this out of thin air.
  #59  
Old 03-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Ok, I'll bite: What team(s) should the Sox emulate in terms of avoiding injuries?
As I've suggested, it not a question of other teams. It's a complacency that human nature sets in when you have a staff that has had job security and been around for decades.

Again, not their fault, it happens because they are human.

Time to bring in some new blood to help out and look at things like conditioning, training methods, etc with a fresh set of eyes.

Not saying fire everyone, I am saying time to shake things up a little bit and get everyone back on their toes.
  #60  
Old 03-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 19,726
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
As I've suggested, it not a question of other teams. It's a complacency that human nature sets in when you have a staff that has had job security and been around for decades.

Again, not their fault, it happens because they are human.

Time to bring in some new blood to help out and look at things like conditioning, training methods, etc with a fresh set of eyes.

Not saying fire everyone, I am saying time to shake things up a little bit and get everyone back on their toes.
So you want them to hire a consultant, and/or additional medical/training staff? And then publicize that they are doing so?
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.