Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
The big 4 sports are so profitable that when owners cry poor when they need a new stadium the people of the state need to tell them to shove it up their whiny ass.
And that's political so I'd prefer not to take it any further. It's also not what the discussion was about until you brought it up. My point about public financing was strictly that it will play a role in any stadium designs.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-04-2018, 10:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
And that's political so I'd prefer not to take it any further. It's also not what the discussion was about until you brought it up. My point about public financing was strictly that it will play a role in any stadium designs.
I'd believe that adding a retractable roof would allow for the stadium to host events during the off-season. I'd imagine having a steady revenue generating venue would assist with said public financing discussions.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:38 AM
WSI Prelate

As Lip and others have suggested previously, this could be ameliorated - even if not prevented entirely - if MLB was more intentional about having the first several series played in domes and/or cities in the south and west that do not typically suffer freezing temperatures in April.

I would be OK with starting the first nine games on the road every year if it meant fewer rainouts/freeze outs, because it also would mean more home games during the months with better weather and when school is not in session.

That said, while it may be a pipe dream, it would be nice if whenever it is time for the Sox to get a new stadium, that in addition to a location closer to downtown with views of the skyline, that they would invest in a retractable roof (maybe with giant glass windows that open up to the skyline). In fact, as long as we are thinking outside the box with pipe dreams, if I could have a downtown location with skyline views, I would be willing to share the stadium with the Cubs (provided that both teams had equal visual presence inside and outside the stadium). Yes, I realize that it will be a cold day in hell that the Cubs give up the Urinal, but I'm just saying that 162 guaranteed games in a beautiful retractable roof ballpark would make such a facility much more profitable than if it was used by just one team.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:00 AM
WSI Personality

Tampa Bay will be here Monday through Wednesday next week. Because someone thought it'd be a good idea to schedule a 7:10 pm start outdoors in Chicago on April 9th rather than play in a dome in Florida.

No need to go into why. I know the schedule is generated by a third-party company with no common sense. I just wanted to vent about it.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:11 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It isn't political per se, people brought up public financing. It is actually baseball related and topic relevant. I was arguing for retractable roofs. I will say that a forward looking commissioner would have made it mandatory after the Canadians engineered it in 1988. If you want I'd be glad to have the discussion at PI.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
The Ford Ride Around seems to be a new staple, they already announced that it will be happening again. I find it very stupid but if Ford is paying the Sox to be able to do that then I am ok with it.
The problem I have with it is I think it's Bush League to have the other team standing around in the cold for 20 minutes for unnecessarily drawn out player intros.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:32 AM
WSI High Priest

It can be rather crappy by the lakefront until the second week of June. Should the Sox play on the road until then? Yes, it sucks we have crappy weather, but spring is my least favorite season of the year (yes, I hate it much worse than winter). I was supposed to have my first soccer practice today and first game on Saturday. I can't really practice/play when the fields are frozen...

And, I've been to my share of games where it was barely 30. Just got to bundle up and hope there isn't a big wind...
Old 04-04-2018, 11:35 AM
WSI Prelate

I wish the Sox wouldnít play a home game until mid-April. Iím semi-serious.

Maybe itís time to cut the schedule back to 154 games.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-04-2018, 11:43 AM
WSI Regular

I'd really be fine with teams in the north playing the first few weeks in the south/west. They could even have the Sox be "home" teams out there for a series or two if they felt that was necessary (or even have them host at an alternative stadium, like a college ballpark). Then sometime around mid April, have the great second wave of home openers in the north. Might add an interesting twist to the season and add a new dynamic overall.

There's just no need for all these cancelled games and disruption for fans when it's entirely avoidable. And it's not like the players are clamoring to play in the cold.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
It can be rather crappy by the lakefront until the second week of June. Should the Sox play on the road until then? Yes, it sucks we have crappy weather, but spring is my least favorite season of the year (yes, I hate it much worse than winter). I was supposed to have my first soccer practice today and first game on Saturday. I can't really practice/play when the fields are frozen...

And, I've been to my share of games where it was barely 30. Just got to bundle up and hope there isn't a big wind...
The problem is not spring, its that our damn winters last a LONG time and thus we don't really have a true spring. This ain't no spring, I don't care what the calendar says.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:01 PM
WSI Personality

This is going to be my first home opener but I could only get off for tomorrow so I really hope they gut it out and play it.

Forecast sucks though.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Tomorrow is my 43rd consecutive Opening Day. I’ve kept track of the weather during that stretch. Three times the game has been canceled. In 1982 and 2009 heavy snow canceled both the day before. Last year the game was canceled after the gates opened. Temperature wise, here’s the breakdown (includes make up days):

80’s 1
70’s. 7
60’s 7
50’s 11
40’s. 12
30’s. 4

And since 1976 Sox are 23-19 on their Home opener.

Last edited by roylestillman; 04-04-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Tomorrow is my 43rd consecutive Opening Day. Iíve kept track of the weather during that stretch. Three times the game has been canceled. In 1989 and 2009 heavy snow canceled both the day before. Last year the game was canceled after the gates opened. Temperature wise, hereís the breakdown (includes make up days):

80ís 1
70ís. 7
60ís 7
50ís 11
40ís. 12
30ís. 4

And since 1976 Sox are 23-19 on their Home opener.
That's impressive. This will be my 17th consecutive home opener.

Thanks for the weather stats. It feels like the last few openers the weather has sucked.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

2016 it snowed and last year was a fiasco. 2015 was in the 60ís and sunny, though. The worst I remember sitting through was 2003 against the Tigers. It was a three hour rain delay with 37 and wind. Ended up playing the whole game, with none other than Esteban Loaiza getting the win.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Did they announce when the parking lots will open tomorrow?
I loved the game. I'd have played for free and worked for food. It was the game, the parks, the smells, the sounds. Have you ever held a bat or a baseball to your face? The varnish, the leather. And it was the crowd, the excitement of them rising as one when the ball was hit deep. It makes me tingle all over like a kid on his way to his first double-header, just to talk about it. - Shoeless Joe Jackson
Closed Thread