Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 04:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Last year was indeed a disaster. I took the day off from work to go to the game even though I looked at the radar in the morning and the situation looked grim. Fans were begging the team on Twitter for a cancellation. Instead, I sat in traffic to get to the park, got wet heading to my seat, watched the car player parade with that trance inducing drum beat song (seriously, who PICKED that song?), watched a tarp for 2 hours, and then had to sit in 2 hours of traffic to get home. My reward for that was to miss the actual first game the next day because I couldn't take two days off work in a row. If they had bagged the game early like they should have, I would have been able to attend.

They didn't refund my parking money either. Looking at the forecast for tomorrow, I'm fearing a repeat of last year. I realize a lot of planning goes into Opening Day for the team. Musical acts are booked, special guests to throw out the first pitch, promotional events, etc. However, you have to think of your fans that show up on Opening Day. If they are going to bag the game BAG IT EARLY. Don't make fans drive out there and waste a day. Allow everyone time to rearrange schedules. When they cancelled Opening Day back in 2009, they correctly did it the night before and still had a full house for the makeup Opener a day later. Last year, the makeup opener had 20,000 at best and that was the crowd they deserved after the botched handling of it.
I only got mine back by calling and complaining to my ticket rep. I went to the ticket booth at the park and presented my parking voucher, but instead of accommodating me, they chose to engage me in an argument of semantics. They said the game was "postponed, not canceled," and therefore I was not entitled to a refund.

I pointed to the disclaimer on the ticket that read that I was entitled to a refund if the game was rained out, which it clearly was. It made no mention of "postponement" or "cancellation." Obviously, the person at the ticket booth did not realize they were screwing over a longtime STH. When I called my rep, she quickly rectified the situation without argument, but why should I have to go to those lengths?

A lot of people who work at the ballpark are jerks. If you're not a STH, you were out of luck on the parking thing.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-04-2018, 04:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Right now Accuweather has it being cloudy from 3-5 with some flurries around 6. If that holds we should get it in. Be cold as hell but it doesn't look any better in the near future. Play the game!
The forecast on weather.com changed also. Rain/Snow Showers starting around 7:00 instead of 3:00.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:05 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I only got mine back by calling and complaining to my ticket rep. I went to the ticket booth at the park and presented my parking voucher, but instead of accommodating me, they chose to engage me in an argument of semantics. They said the game was "postponed, not canceled," and therefore I was not entitled to a refund.

I pointed to the disclaimer on the ticket that read that I was entitled to a refund if the game was rained out, which it clearly was. It made no mention of "postponement" or "cancellation." Obviously, the person at the ticket booth did not realize they were screwing over a longtime STH. When I called my rep, she quickly rectified the situation without argument, but why should I have to go to those lengths?

A lot of people who work at the ballpark are jerks. If you're not a STH, you were out of luck on the parking thing.
My girlfriend and I went to the Sunday game after the rainout. They took my tickets, but I had to pay for parking (though that wasn't a big deal since they had $5 parking for Family Sunday). Later, when we tried to exchange the parking voucher from that game for Comiskey Cash (which it said we could), they wouldn't take it because the tickets had already been exchanged. That whole situation was badly mismanaged.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
The forecast on weather.com changed also. Rain/Snow Showers starting around 7:00 instead of 3:00.
Well that's promising!!
Old 04-04-2018, 05:37 PM
WSI Personality

MLB should really start having domed/warm weather teams host the first two weeks of games each year. Maybe a scheduling headache, but so is rescheduling these games for the teams involved.

As for getting a retractable roof ourselves - no need. These stadiums are more effective where rain (Seattle)/cold (Toronto)/heat (Florida/Phoenix) are far more prevalent. So it's cold at the start of the season...layer up!
Old 04-04-2018, 05:44 PM
WSI Guru

The fans freeze, players potentially can get hurt with tight muscles and pitching arms...having to drink hot chocolate and coffee at a baseball game in weather more suited for football or outdoor hockey.

****ing nuts.

MLB can do three potential things to help this issue (but they won't):

In no particular order.

Cut the season back to 154 games (or better yet 140)

Bring back 10 real double headers which means you can start later

Go back to the schedule they tried in the late 80's / early 90's. The first two weeks, home teams are those with domes or in warmer weather. (If those teams don't like the fact that they have "so many" early home games, tough ****. What's good for the game (better play) and good for the fans who PAY and drive the engine takes precedence over any individual team)

To any fans going tomorrow, good luck and I admire you.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 04-04-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The fans freeze, players potentially can get hurt with tight muscles and pitching arms...having to drink hot chocolate and coffee at a baseball game in weather more suited for football or outdoor hockey.

****ing nuts.

MLB can do three potential things to help this issue (but they won't):

In no particular order.

Go back to the schedule they tried in the late 80's / early 90's. The first two weeks, home teams were those with domes or in warmer weather. (If those teams don't like the fact that they have "so many" early home games, tough ****. What's good for the game (better play) and good for the fans who PAY and drive the engine takes precedence over any individual team)

To any fans going tomorrow, good luck and I admire you.
I said the same thing a few posts earlier but as I explained, none of our points will ever happen, wish they would but it's all about the $$$$$$$.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I went to the ticket booth at the park and presented my parking voucher, but instead of accommodating me, they chose to engage me in an argument of semantics. They said the game was "postponed, not canceled," and therefore I was not entitled to a refund.
They told me the exact same thing when I tried to get my OD parking pass refunded at a later game. I asked them: "Why would the team allow the tickets to be used for a future game but NOT the parking passes? Aren't the two of them connected?" They spewed back the same "postponed, not cancelled" nonsense they told you. I told them I had planned to use the pass at a future game and let's face it, those lots are only sold out for select games. They basically told me it didn't matter and I was just SOL. It's silly. I'm not a STH but I'm about as diehard a Sox fan as they come and go to about 10 games per year including a couple on the road. What is the value in shaking fans down for a $20 parking pass they've already been paid for? I'm going to come back to the park regardless of how often the Sox treat me like a punching bag because I love the team and I love baseball. However, a more casual fan might choose not to come back after getting jerked around like that over the parking they already paid for. As for the employees at our ballpark, I've encountered some really nice people but also some real jerks.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-04-2018, 06:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The 1982 home opener vs. Boston was snowed out and the Sox didn't open the year until five or so days later with a DH in New York. A massive, major snowstorm buried the Midwest that spring.
You are right 1989 was a typo. It was 1982 where the snowstorm postponed the opener for a number of days.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Whoa - you know how much money those poor owners would lose? Especially double-headers - why in the world would you have fans pay two for one? You cut your potential profits in half!

That's our lovely age of maximum profit - didn't matter as much in the day of players being paid normal salaries like the rest of us.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:23 PM
WSI High Priest

I've gone to Opening Day every year since 2000, and the last one I remember not freezing at was 2012. While it may have been '"warm" in 2015, our seats were high up in the upper deck, so we were in the shade and being pummeled from behind by a gale north wind blowing through the screen. I was freezing. Tomorrow's lousy forecast, combined with Shields starting instead of Giolito (thanks to the snow out in Kansas City on Easter Sunday), really has me feeling meh. The ballpark is no place for me to be wearing a winter coat, snow boots, ear warmers, and being wrapped in a blanket like a burrito -- all of which will be true for me tomorrow.

I've been more depressed in March and these first few days of April because of the weather than I was at any point from December-February. I can't stand this. Wind chills in the teens and low 20s in April?!
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 04-04-2018, 10:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post
Whoa - you know how much money those poor owners would lose? Especially double-headers - why in the world would you have fans pay two for one? You cut your potential profits in half!

That's our lovely age of maximum profit - didn't matter as much in the day of players being paid normal salaries like the rest of us.
I realize what you are saying however I also realized this, do you know how much money can be made on concessions, beer, programs, souvenirs et al when fans are at the ballpark for six, seven, eight hours compared to say three? Owners could make a great deal of that money back.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:03 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post
MLB should really start having domed/warm weather teams host the first two weeks of games each year. Maybe a scheduling headache, but so is rescheduling these games for the teams involved.

As for getting a retractable roof ourselves - no need. These stadiums are more effective where rain (Seattle)/cold (Toronto)/heat (Florida/Phoenix) are far more prevalent. So it's cold at the start of the season...layer up!
The southern/dome teams don't want that many of their games jammed into the first weeks of the season every year, when kids are still in school.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
The southern/dome teams don't want that many of their games jammed into the first weeks of the season every year, when kids are still in school.
Exactly right. Not really fair to the southern/western/dome teams to have a disproportionate number of home games in early April.

277-240.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:36 AM
WSI Personality

Let's get back on topic here. What time is everyone headed to the park today?
Closed Thread