White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 04-10-2018, 08:22 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Call it what you want but the Sox clearly were never the same after the Texas debacle a few years ago...ditto with the Robertson meltdown in KC. And while we're at it they haven't won a game since blowing the lead on Opening Day so maybe a hangover is an accurate assessment. As for other teams being resilient I don't disagree. Just seems the Sox aren't when it comes to those tough losses.
The above is sports fan superstition/ju-ju.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-10-2018, 08:22 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
If some of you want to live and die with every pitch this year more power to you all. I'm going to enjoy this team in my way and look forward to better weather to go watch this team.
"This," as the kids say.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-10-2018, 08:49 AM
soxnut67 soxnut67 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 612
Default

1988 Opening Day Lineup

Lance Johnson, cf
Ozzie Guillen, ss
Harold Baines, dh
Ivan Calderon, rf
Greg Walker, 1b
Carlton Fisk, c
Dan Pasqua, lf
Kenny Williams, 3b
Donnie Hill, 2b
Ricky Horton, p

W71 L90


1989 OPENING DAY LINE UP

Guillen ss
Gallager cf
Baines dh
Calderon rf
Walker 1b
Fisk c
Pasqua lf
Lyons 2b
Williams 3b
Reuss p

W69 L92

Welcome to the rebuild fellas
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-10-2018, 08:54 AM
soxnut67 soxnut67 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
So am I. The team is in a funk right now, especially with RISP. But this isn't new. This **** happens to teams all the time, every season. I think there were people who drank the kool-aid during spring training and thought this team could contend for a WC. I can't fault people for being excited and for wanting the Sox to be good but that's also a thought not fully based in reality. Look at the lineup. There are 3, maybe 4 guys who will be starting on this team in 2020 - Moncada, Anderson, Davidson, Abreu. That's it. And people wonder why the team is struggling? When Leury Garcia is your starting CF? When Delmonico is starting in LF?

I don't understand the expectations some of you have for this team. Don't give me the fundamentals talk. This team is more fundamentally sound than probably any we saw under Ventura. And when you have a bunch of AAAA guys in your everyday lineup playing out of position I think it's ridiculous to expect these guys to be perfect on every single pitch. If some of you want to live and die with every pitch this year more power to you all. I'm going to enjoy this team in my way and look forward to better weather to go watch this team.
Exactly. Great post!!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-10-2018, 09:03 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 15,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
The above is sports fan superstition/ju-ju.
I don't think what happened in 2016 has any impact on what is happening now, but I DO think some losses can linger with teams. I know the Sox were in the midst of a death spiral before that loss, but I think that loss was the one that essentially sealed the season's fate.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-10-2018, 09:06 AM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I don't think what happened in 2016 has any impact on what is happening now, but I DO think some losses can linger with teams. I know the Sox were in the midst of a death spiral before that loss, but I think that loss was the one that essentially sealed the season's fate.
Mental aspect of baseball is definitely a thing, and it's ignorant to act like it doesn't exist. However, it is also the responsibility of a professional ball club to overcome it. So if this sticks with the Sox more than it does other ball clubs, that is a testament to a mental deficiency on our end.
__________________
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-10-2018, 09:31 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 6,848
Default

My focus on the 2018 White Sox looks like this:

Players that are an important part of the rebuild:

Anderson, Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer

Players that might be part of the rebuild or could produce trade value

Delmonico, Davidson, Abreu, Avi, Yolmer, Jones, Castillo, Bummer (only 24 yo, was in our Top 30 prospect list last season)

Players that aren't really relevant to our strategy

The other 12 guys on the roster- Shields, Gonzalez, Engel, L. Garcia, Saladino, Narvaez, the rest of our bullpen

For the most part- I like how the guys in the first two categories are doing so far in the early going.

For the most part, the other 12 guys on the roster are the reason we won't be very good this season. And for those pleading for "good fundamentals" - bad players do not play good fundamental baseball, when 50% of the roster is crap (and 6 of your 13 "potential" guys are in their first full season in the majors), you're not going to be strong fundamentally- at least not to start the season.
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
Players that are an important part of the rebuild:
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada

Last edited by TomBradley72; 04-10-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-10-2018, 09:37 AM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
My focus on the 2018 White Sox looks like this:

Players that are an important part of the rebuild:

Anderson, Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer

Players that might be part of the rebuild or could produce trade value

Delmonico, Davidson, Abreu, Avi, Yolmer, Jones, Castillo, Bummer (only 24 yo, was in our Top 30 prospect list last season)

Players that aren't really relevant to our strategy

The other 12 guys on the roster- Shields, Gonzalez, Engel, L. Garcia, Saladino, Narvaez, the rest of our bullpen

For the most part- I like how the guys in the first two categories are doing so far in the early going.

For the most part, the other 12 guys on the roster are the reason we won't be very good this season.
Very good split. I don't think Castillo will be there, but I can see why you put him there. Either way, if we watch baseball with this in mind, we will be much more sane at the end of this season.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-10-2018, 10:06 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 6,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Very good split. I don't think Castillo will be there, but I can see why you put him there. Either way, if we watch baseball with this in mind, we will be much more sane at the end of this season.
I was on the fence about Castillo- if Collins flames out, or they like him as a mentor to a young catcher- I could see them extending him and/or he could produce some trade value if a contender needs a veteran catcher at the trade deadline.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
My focus on the 2018 White Sox looks like this:

Players that are an important part of the rebuild:

Anderson, Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer

Players that might be part of the rebuild or could produce trade value

Delmonico, Davidson, Abreu, Avi, Yolmer, Jones, Castillo, Bummer (only 24 yo, was in our Top 30 prospect list last season)

Players that aren't really relevant to our strategy

The other 12 guys on the roster- Shields, Gonzalez, Engel, L. Garcia, Saladino, Narvaez, the rest of our bullpen

For the most part- I like how the guys in the first two categories are doing so far in the early going.

For the most part, the other 12 guys on the roster are the reason we won't be very good this season.

Exactly the way I see it. All that matters are those first two tiers.

What I want to see is a constant bus route from here to Charlotte with the last tier of the roster. Just like Minaya was booted for not throwing strikes, same goes for everyone.

I don't see a reason why Saladino is still part of this roster or baseball. Gillaspie Palka, or Cordell should have been given that roster spot and used daily here. Cordell should be playing CF vs Engel. We already know what Engel is (bad). Put Engel and Saladino as guys who shouldn't be taking on a roster sport right now.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 6,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Exactly the way I see it. All that matters are those first two tiers.

What I want to see is a constant bus route from here to Charlotte with the last tier of the roster. Just like Minaya was booted for not throwing strikes, same goes for everyone.

I don't see a reason why Saladino is still part of this roster or baseball. Gillaspie Palka, or Cordell should have been given that roster spot and used daily here. Cordell should be playing CF vs Engel. We already know what Engel is (bad). Put Engel and Saladino as guys who shouldn't be taking on a roster sport right now.
I like Cordell too- since he missed half a season with a back injury- I could see putting him in Charlotte to play every day to start. He's off to a 2 for 17 start, so might be a little rusty.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is online now
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
I don't understand the expectations some of you have for this team. Don't give me the fundamentals talk. This team is more fundamentally sound than probably any we saw under Ventura.
This team is below average defensively at, at least, five positions on the field depending on the day's line up.

And regarding Tuesday's game, in a little over nine innings the Sox have yet to score a run off Tampa's starting pitcher, Snell.

We'll see what happens today.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is online now
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Mental aspect of baseball is definitely a thing, and it's ignorant to act like it doesn't exist. However, it is also the responsibility of a professional ball club to overcome it. So if this sticks with the Sox more than it does other ball clubs, that is a testament to a mental deficiency on our end.
I've thought for years the Sox were a mentally weak team without any vocal leaders to show the way.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:49 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I've thought for years the Sox were a mentally weak team without any vocal leaders to show the way.
Which current teams, in your estimation, are mentally strong and overcome these obstacles via leadership?
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:49 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
This team is below average defensively at, at least, five positions on the field depending on the day's line up.

.

Well, don't hold your breath in thinking defense will improve when eventually things get good here. The way you overcome bad defense is by putting tons of runs on the board. No one complains about defense then.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.