Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2018, 06:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

If the Sox get swept by Tampa:

Do you think it's possible they could be out of it by May 1?

If the Sox go down to historically 100 loss bad in 2018, do you think Rentaria's job is on the line?
Old 04-10-2018, 06:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post

If the Sox go down to historically 100 loss bad in 2018, do you think Rentaria's job is on the line?
100 losses by itself is not necessarily terrible. If they lose 100 games, but we see positive development from future core fixtures like Giolito, Lopez, Kopech, Fulmer, Rodon, Anderson, Moncada, and Eloy, then 100 losses isn’t terrible and maybe Renteria deserves to stay.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Depends why they went down to the 100 loss season, as far as RR's fate. If it's because a manager's job is to prevent tough losses from haunting you, which I think is part of it, then yes. If it's because the DP combo can't pick up a ground ball and their halos are still intact, the OF can't field and the pitching 1-13 (well, mostly) is garbage, then no.

Can't fight cold weather, but today was like at a spa. BTW, for the poster in another thread who thought we got in yesterday's game because our field drains better than Wrigley, I'm pretty sure Bossard redid the drainage there not that long ago.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
BTW, for the poster in another thread who thought we got in yesterday's game because our field drains better than Wrigley, I'm pretty sure Bossard redid the drainage there not that long ago.
Correct, he did a few years ago.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:53 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
100 losses by itself is not necessarily terrible. If they lose 100 games, but we see positive development from future core fixtures like Giolito, Lopez, Kopech, Fulmer, Rodon, Anderson, Moncada, and Eloy, then 100 losses isnít terrible and maybe Renteria deserves to stay.
I would agree with this. But I do think its fair to start wondering about the entire situation given the struggles right now of high draft picks and key pieces in major trades.

Think about it, Fulmer, Rodon (not his fault he's made of glass), Collins, Moncada, Tim Anderson...a year and half in the majors and he's still having brain-dead moments. None of these guys right now seem to be making anybody stop and do a double-take. Moncada isn't even putting a ball in play nearly half the time. He's not even giving himself a chance for a lucky bounce.

Still time but I can see folks starting to wonder why these guys don't seem to be progressing.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Dump:

Laugh all you want but with the off the field issues for this franchise (a subject we're not allowed to talk about)
Spill the beans, Lip

2017: 7-11
2016: 11-9
2015: 13-7
2014: 15-11
2013: 11-22
2012: 29-22
2011: 15-19
2010: 18-10
2009: 5-9
2008: 21-10
2007: 6-14
2006: 20-9
Old 04-10-2018, 07:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Think about it, Fulmer, Rodon (not his fault he's made of glass), Collins, Moncada, Tim Anderson...a year and half in the majors and he's still having brain-dead moments. None of these guys right now seem to be making anybody stop and do a double-take. Moncada isn't even putting a ball in play nearly half the time. He's not even giving himself a chance for a lucky bounce.
Weíre less than two full weeks into the season, the first five home games of which all had temperatures in the 30s. Letís tap the brakes on rushing to judgment on these young players.

In addition...

Collins has less than two full seasons in the minor (see my comments in Minor Observations);

Anderson looks much better this year at the plate and is stealing lots of bases;

Moncadaís exit velocity is top notch but his BABIP is very low - a function of bad luck, and heís faced a lot of LHP, which means heís been batting more from his weaker (right) side.

The sample size is tiny. The weather has sucked. Iím not rushing to judgment.

As you keep saying, Lip: 2020 2020 2020
Old 04-10-2018, 07:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
When will MLB stop allowing the Sox' opponents play in 85 and sunny conditions against us in these early April games?

At minimum, MLB should require both teams to play in the same weather conditions.
Boom, roasted.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-10-2018, 07:55 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
the off the field issues for this franchise (a subject we're not allowed to talk about)
Everyone knows the team is preparing to move to Havana when it opens up. Why else would we hire all the Cubans?
Old 04-10-2018, 07:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Weíre less than two full weeks into the season, the first five home games of which all had temperatures in the 30s. Letís tap the brakes on rushing to judgment on these young players.

In addition...

Collins has less than two full seasons in the minor (see my comments in Minor Observations);

Anderson looks much better this year at the plate and is stealing lots of bases;

Moncadaís exit velocity is top notch but his BABIP is very low - a function of bad luck, and heís faced a lot of LHP, which means heís been batting more from his weaker (right) side.

The sample size is tiny. The weather has sucked. Iím not rushing to judgment.

As you keep saying, Lip: 2020 2020 2020
I'M NOT rushing to judgment either. Mearly saying that I can understand why some fans (including some who have already posted comments along these lines) would be starting to get nervous.

The question was asked when was the last time a Sox minor league player came up and made an immediate impact, a strong one. I'm guess Bobby Jenks? (And that was a long time ago) before that Magglio, Carlos Lee and maybe James Baldwin?
Old 04-10-2018, 08:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
100% correct. This is the reality of today's game and to rail against it is beyond futile. It's not just the beginning of the season. How many division series, league championship and WS games have been played in miserable conditions?
Correct. Something baseball continues to ignore when the stakes are highest. They look like idiots compared to the rest of the pro sports. (And no football doesn't count, their sport was meant to be played in bad weather in November, December, January)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:06 PM
WSI Guru

Waiting for Lip's answer.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'M NOT rushing to judgment either. Mearly saying that I can understand why some fans (including some who have already posted comments along these lines) would be starting to get nervous.

The question was asked when was the last time a Sox minor league player came up and made an immediate impact, a strong one. I'm guess Bobby Jenks? (And that was a long time ago) before that Magglio, Carlos Lee and maybe James Baldwin?
Gordon Beckham had a very good first year.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

I think it depends on how the team is losing. Poor fundamentals should make you question any coaching staff. Granted the talent might not be up to par but you still need to prove you can get the most out of what you have.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Correct. Something baseball continues to ignore when the stakes are highest. They look like idiots compared to the rest of the pro sports. (And no football doesn't count, their sport was meant to be played in bad weather in November, December, January)
So they look like idiots compared to basketball and hockey, which are played indoors?