GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 04:50 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Then the other one: "All warm weather teams should be hosting for the early part of the schedule." You realize those teams also value their June, July, August gates too. Other towns also have kids going to school in April and May. Burning 6 Home series in April is not good for their business too.
MLB can pay them a stipend for their troubles. X number of millions. MLB can afford it and its better for the fans first and foremost (who pay the fright and drive the engine) AND the players. Have you ever tried to hit / pitch in 35 degree weather? I have. It's not fun.

Oh if you remember MLB did exactly this in the late 80's / early 90's and they should return to it. Better for the game. The game is more important than any single franchise.

I understand the warm weather teams concerns which is why you pay them for their "trouble."

And I don't think anyone is suggesting that warm weather / dome teams play the entire month of April (or six home series as you mention)at home. At least I'm not.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:54 PM
WSI High Priest

"Everybody talks about the weather but nobody ever does anything about it."

Mark Twain

275-238.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit
Then the other one: "All warm weather teams should be hosting for the early part of the schedule." You realize those teams also value their June, July, August gates too. Other towns also have kids going to school in April and May. Burning 6 Home series in April is not good for their business too.
Exactly.

People really need to stop hoping for things that will never ever happen.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
MLB can pay them a stipend for their troubles. X number of millions. MLB can afford it and its better for the fans first and foremost (who pay the fright and drive the engine) AND the players. Have you ever tried to hit / pitch in 35 degree weather? I have. It's not fun.

Maybe MLB should save the stipend and instead pitch in the extra $100 million for retractable roofs anytime a new stadium goes up.

Now that would be a much better business decision than anything else.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:10 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Ive thought of this for awhile but dont know if its doable. Is it possible for the Sox to schedule maybe a series or two in april at their minor league affiliate, Charlotte or Birmingham? They may actually draw more there than at home.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:52 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Ive thought of this for awhile but dont know if its doable. Is it possible for the Sox to schedule maybe a series or two in april at their minor league affiliate, Charlotte or Birmingham? They may actually draw more there than at home.
And the season ticket holders who live in Chicago?

Look I know it's been an especially nasty early spring in the midwest with lots of cancelled games, but let's not pretend this is normal. One is not a pattern in need of a major overhaul in the way the schedule is made or stadiums are built or where teams play.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-16-2018, 08:22 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
And the season ticket holders who live in Chicago?

Look I know it's been an especially nasty early spring in the midwest with lots of cancelled games, but let's not pretend this is normal. One is not a pattern in need of a major overhaul in the way the schedule is made or stadiums are built or where teams play.
Isnt it possible to lower the price of season tickets based on the number of games played elsewhere?

This has been a horrible march and april but it seems I remember every year people complaining about april games here. Nobody wants to go to games here in april and attendance figures show that.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
This has been a horrible march and april but it seems I remember every year people complaining about april games here. Nobody wants to go to games here in april and attendance figures show that.
Thank you.

Nobodyís going to these games anyway. This year wasnít an anomaly in that respect.

If anything, take the insufferable annual series with the Cubs and move it to April. Get two or three more big crowds in a month when Opening Day is the only other game that figures to draw a big crowd.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Isnt it possible to lower the price of season tickets based on the number of games played elsewhere?

People are going to complain no matter what. It won't be too long from now when people will be complaining it's too hot. No matter what you do, someone will complain about something. It's just life.

Spring weather in Chicago has stunk for as long as I've been around. The lakefront in particular is quite awful this time of year. This one just happens to be on the higher end of extreme. Not much else you can do. If the Sox actually build a good team, they will sell more season tickets and have more tickets sold for early season games. Until that happens, this will be reality. Even the beloved Cubs had plenty of empty seats on Saturday.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Maybe MLB should save the stipend and instead pitch in the extra $100 million for retractable roofs anytime a new stadium goes up.

Now that would be a much better business decision than anything else.
+1 I couldn't have said it better myself. Not to mention that retractable roofs can help on uncomfortably hot days as well.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Oh if you remember MLB did exactly this in the late 80's / early 90's and they should return to it. Better for the game. The game is more important than any single franchise.

I understand the warm weather teams concerns which is why you pay them for their "trouble."

And I don't think anyone is suggesting that warm weather / dome teams play the entire month of April (or six home series as you mention)at home. At least I'm not.
This isn't true.

MLB Opening days:
April 7 & 8, 1986- at Baltimore, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Detroit, New York Yankees, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis

April 6 & 7, 1987- at Baltimore, Cincinnati, Detroit, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Toronto (at Exhibition Stadium!), Chicago Cubs, and New York Mets

April 4 & 5, 1988- at Baltimore, Boston, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Kansas City, New York Yankees, and Philadelphia

April 3 & 4, 1989- at Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, New York Mets, and Chicago Cubs

April 9 & 10, 1990- at Boston, Chicago White Sox, Kansas City, New York Mets, St. Louis, Chicago Cubs, and Milwaukee

April 8 & 9, 1991- at Baltimore, Cincinnati, Detroit, Kansas City, New York Mets, Pittsburgh, and Chicago Cubs

April 6 & 7, 1992- at Baltimore, Cincinnati, Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, New York Yankees, and Philadelphia

April 5 & 6, 1993- at Baltimore, Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, New York Mets, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis

April 3, 4, & 5, 1994- at Cincinnati, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Cleveland, Colorado, New York Yankees, and Milwaukee
Old 04-17-2018, 11:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
This isn't true.
Well done. Thank you for the research!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-17-2018, 12:13 PM
WSI Guru

IP:

Thanks for taking the time and its hard to argue with your point. Some of those cities though... Baltimore, Cincinnati and St. Louis generally do not have the same type weather as the more Northern cities.

For what it's worth both the Chicago Baseball Museum and the Sun-Times today had stories saying it was time the MLBPA and those who run the league do something about the situation moving forward. This dove tales with Bob Nightengale's story from a few days ago.

The CBM for example advocated starting the season on May 1, playing split DH's on Saturday's, playing the first two weeks in warm weather / domed cities (they listed them) if MLB insisted on starting the season in early April and not playing any game if the temperature was below a certain degree or the wind was blowing above a certain MPH.

I'm not a "lone wolf" in this situation, more and more individuals in the media are coming around to the idea that this is not good for baseball, not good for the fans and are starting to publicly discuss options.

And not to get political, that is NOT my purpose, but if the weather patterns are changing more permanently, then MLB like it or not, is going to have to do something about it and adjust.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
Start the retractable roof mandate. Now. All new stadiums must have one. Non-negotiable. Problem Solved (eventually) It should have been done in 2000-ish.
Even if I were in favor of such a mandate (I'm not), it's too late. Most MLB teams in cold weather climates already have built their new or renovated ballparks and won't be looking for new facilities for the next few decades. Though, if MLB ever returns to Montreal, I'd be in favor of the league pushing to have a retractable roof ballpark there.

Interestingly, only Milwaukee and Toronto have retractable roofs among the cold weather cities. Seattle too, where is the issue is more rain than cold. It's the sun belt (outside of California) where a majority of the teams play in a park that has at least a closable roof. Texas is going that route, too.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Rizzo says play fewer games, schedule planned doubleheaders, and cut players' pay accordingly.

I agree with him, and I also agree with him that nothing will happen.