Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2018, 03:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Surely there is someone in Charlotte better than Volstad, who's really just an organizational minor leaguer (yea, he has major league experience, but it was all bad).
Old 04-17-2018, 03:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Posted about in on the minor league thread. Paul Sullivan confirmed it on Twitter.

If memory serves Cordell was injured most of last year I think.

Charlie Tilson 2.0?
Sad how things play out. Had he won the job over the inferior Engel he would have been here and not injured.

He was struggling to start in Charlotte but for sure has way better offensive tools than Engel. I don't think there is a ML player that doesn't.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
It seems like they may have blown those to a certain degree. It is quite possible all they get from those trades are a closer, a mid rotation arm and a good DH.
Um, what? The Sox turned Q, Sale, Robertson, and Eaton into Moncada (jury's still out), Kopech (potential ace), Lopez (potential ace), Giolito (at worst, back of the rotation), Dunning (potential back of the rotation or plus BP arm), Jimenez (potential star), Rutherford (off to a great start and only 20 years old) and Cease (potential ace). I'm not even including Basabe who has been great at W-S.

As for draft picks, you can't predict injuries, but it certainly looked like Berger, Hansen, Rodon and Burdi were on the right track. Anderson's been an enigma but I'm still hopeful that he turns it around. Collins and and Fulmer are the only two that leave me disappointed and the book isn't written on either of them. Hahn was also part of the deal that got us Abreu and Robert the latter of which is considered a potential 5-tool super star in his own right while the former has produced at a high level every year.

I don't really care if people want to freak out over every terrible loss or the odd winning streak. We're all fans of baseball and it sucks to watch this product. But it's a little silly to sit here and pretend that the future is anything but pretty damn bright. And none of this even takes into consideration the #4 overall pick in '18 or the likely Top 5 pick in '19.

Finally, predicting the MLB roster in '19 or '20 is a waste of time. They have one of the lowest payrolls in all of baseball which is going to get even lower when Shields comes off the books. If the Sox are ready to compete, I believe that Hahn will add any pieces that are still missing either through free agency or a trade to make a legitimate run.

I'm not telling any of you how to be fans, but I'd recommend you spend 5 minutes every night checking out the box scores for Birmingham, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Kannapolis. It's a lot of fun following these kids as they make their way through the minors and it makes it that much sweeter when they make their MLB debuts.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:39 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Um, what? The Sox turned Q, Sale, Robertson, and Eaton into Moncada (jury's still out), Kopech (potential ace), Lopez (potential ace), Giolito (at worst, back of the rotation), Dunning (potential back of the rotation or plus BP arm), Jimenez (potential star), Rutherford (off to a great start and only 20 years old) and Cease (potential ace). I'm not even including Basabe who has been great at W-S.
Basabe has a good shot at being a useful major leaguer. So does Ian Clarkin, who you also forgot. Even Tito Polo might become a fourth outfielder.

So, potential replacements for your #1 and 2 starters, closer, and right fielder, with 8 additional major leaguers thrown in.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:07 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Basabe has a good shot at being a useful major leaguer. So does Ian Clarkin, who you also forgot. Even Tito Polo might become a fourth outfielder.

So, potential replacements for your #1 and 2 starters, closer, and right fielder, with 8 additional major leaguers thrown in.
There are also others in the farm system that I forgot to include like Micker Adolfo, Seby Zavala, and Joel Booker.

Obviously, not all of these guys are going to pan out, but it's silly to look at our system and conclude that it's just a couple of guys and that's it. It's way deeper than that.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:30 PM
WSI Prelate

The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
So what are these "fundamentals" that the team is failing at? The team does not have problems with "fundamentals", they have problems with hitting the ball and the bullpen is really bad.
They may lose games but is it really too much to ask to run the bases correctly? Or maybe get in position to catch a fly ball in the outfield? Maybe throw to the right base?

How about moving the runner along by hitting to right side of the infield when the situation dictates? Maybe get a bunt down?

Is all this too much to ask?

They may lose games, a lot of games, but for God's sake play the game the right way.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 04-17-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

Yeah, no kidding.

I know it sucks that the Sox are playing this way, but GOOD LORD. After reading this thread, one would think we can stick a fork in Alec Hansen (we had high hopes for him), we only got a few measly pieces for Sale, Eaton, and Q, and there was even mention about the Sox moving .

Wow - I didn't realize the rebuild had gone of the rails so badly already. I was going to tune in to tonight's game, but after reading all the doom-saying here, what's the point? Time to start thinking about whether I could become Brewers or Cardinals fans if the Sox leave town.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:36 PM
WSI High Priest

DP combo can't pick up a ground ball and still have their halos intact. Their offense doesn't come close to making up for it either, thanks for asking. They don't appear to be progressing, thanks again. Admit it. I know it's a hard concept considering the price paid for the 2B, but when does reality make an impression on us?
Old 04-17-2018, 08:19 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
DP combo can't pick up a ground ball and still have their halos intact. Their offense doesn't come close to making up for it either, thanks for asking. They don't appear to be progressing, thanks again. Admit it. I know it's a hard concept considering the price paid for the 2B, but when does reality make an impression on us?
Hopefully after more than the first half of the first month of the first full season they are playing together, more so given their ages, level of experience and amount of time they've been playing together, but...

Hey, what the heck do I know. Feel free to dive right into the deep end, the water is probably fine...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-17-2018, 08:35 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Wow - I didn't realize the rebuild had gone of the rails so badly already. I was going to tune in to tonight's game, but after reading all the doom-saying here, what's the point? Time to start thinking about whether I could become Brewers or Cardinals fans if the Sox leave town.
This is the post of the season. I was laughing so hard tears were streaming out. Well done, sir!
Old 04-17-2018, 08:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Old 04-17-2018, 08:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Itís one thing to comment on a bad play, or a bad slump, or a need for growth and practice.

Itís another thing entirely to extrapolate based on two weeks of games, that somehow the rebuild and all the prospects and young players are doomed to failure.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Itís one thing to comment on a bad play, or a bad slump, or a need for growth and practice.

Itís another thing entirely to extrapolate based on two weeks of games, that somehow the rebuild and all the prospects and young players are doomed to failure.
Would we be wsi if this wasnít our reflex?

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
They may lose games but is it really too much to ask to run the bases correctly? Or maybe get in position to catch a fly ball in the outfield? Maybe throw to the right base?

How about moving the runner along by hitting to right side of the infield when the situation dictates? Maybe get a bunt down?

Is all this too much to ask?

They may lose games, a lot of games, but for God's sake play the game the right way.
It's 2018. Even the good teams are mediocre at this kind of stuff.