Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2018, 10:42 PM
WSI Personality

Excuse my negativity, please. Sometimes I pull hyperbole out of my ass, mostly out of frustration. Small sample sizes suck. This team sucks currently and is hard to watch. I'd much rather watch W/S right now. I need to lay off posting when I'm frustrated with the team, because that is when my super dark cloud comes out, lol.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:41 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
They may lose games but is it really too much to ask to run the bases correctly? Or maybe get in position to catch a fly ball in the outfield? Maybe throw to the right base?

How about moving the runner along by hitting to right side of the infield when the situation dictates? Maybe get a bunt down?

Is all this too much to ask?

They may lose games, a lot of games, but for God's sake play the game the right way.
Well said!
Old 04-18-2018, 12:42 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
Excuse my negativity, please. Sometimes I pull hyperbole out of my ass, mostly out of frustration. Small sample sizes suck. This team sucks currently and is hard to watch. I'd much rather watch W/S right now. I need to lay off posting when I'm frustrated with the team, because that is when my super dark cloud comes out, lol.
Understand completely. The last 10 years will do that to any good fan.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
It's 2018. Even the good teams are mediocre at this kind of stuff.
Problem is the Sox aren't even mediocre at it...and haven't been for years. Hell I'd love for them to be mediocre in the fundamentals, to me that would be a big improvement.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
It's 2018. Even the good teams are mediocre at this kind of stuff.

I called after a Tampa game a couple of years ago when Sale pitched. He failed to backup the plate. I made that point to the ostgame host saying there should be some type of redress to thi situation and the postgame host blew it off.

He said to me something along the lines that the game has changed and that these type of mistakes are seldom addressed.

Lowering the bar of acceptance: That's sad...
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 04-18-2018, 11:19 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I called after a Tampa game a couple of years ago when Sale pitched. He failed to backup the plate. I made that point to the ostgame host saying there should be some type of redress to thi situation and the postgame host blew it off.

He said to me something along the lines that the game has changed and that these type of mistakes are seldom addressed.

Lowering the bar of acceptance: That's sad...
The "dumbing-down" of the game continues. And it's accepted. Very strange.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
Totally understood. Rebuild or not, it's tough to watch a team make 4 errors in a game, get shut down by a pitcher who was previously 0-10 at Oakland, etc. Small sample size or not, it's still frustrating as a fan to see Giolito or Moncada struggle in the early going.

As Lip said, the poor play has been going on for about 10 years, not just after they blew up the roster and started over. So, it can be hard to be patient even when the overall plan still looks like a good one.

I'm still positive about where this team will end up in a couple of seasons.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Seems to be what all of theses discussions are about on how you win or lose games. Bad baseball is magnified when these things happen. Itís just not one fundamental lacking, itís all of them.

Frustrated with this organization? Hell yes. As Lip stated,they donít even make a case for being mediocre.

BK59
Old 04-18-2018, 12:10 PM
WSI Guru

Even Renteria said last night the team's "focus" isn't where it needs to be. We'll see what he and the coaching staff do about it.

It's not just the offense that has been dismal, everyone knows about the RISP numbers which are bordering on unbelievable, but the pitching staff leads the league in walks (which is amazing considering they've had four games postponed), and the Sox have the worst fielding percentage in baseball right now at .972

Guys (Sanchez, Anderson for example) are making dumb baserunning mistakes and errors then Sanchez told the Sun-Times guy that it's happening because "If you don’t make errors, it’s because you’re not playing.” They've already screwed up a rundown situation this season.

I get it, physical errors are part of the game...but mental mistakes? That's primarily on the players for not knowing what to do and when to do it. They bear the brunt of the responsibility. Some of it also goes to the manager and coaches for either not being able to teach it properly or to be able to get it across to the players.

Bottom line its costing ballgames and small sample size or not, even though this is basically a "throw-away" year it needs to be corrected and improved. (I would say it needs to stop but that's a pipe-dream)
Old 04-18-2018, 02:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Even Renteria said last night the team's "focus" isn't where it needs to be. We'll see what he and the coaching staff do about it.

It's not just the offense that has been dismal, everyone knows about the RISP numbers which are bordering on unbelievable, but the pitching staff leads the league in walks (which is amazing considering they've had four games postponed), and the Sox have the worst fielding percentage in baseball right now at .972

Guys (Sanchez, Anderson for example) are making dumb baserunning mistakes and errors then Sanchez told the Sun-Times guy that it's happening because "If you donít make errors, itís because youíre not playing.Ē They've already screwed up a rundown situation this season.

I get it, physical errors are part of the game...but mental mistakes? That's primarily on the players for not knowing what to do and when to do it. They bear the brunt of the responsibility. Some of it also goes to the manager and coaches for either not being able to teach it properly or to be able to get it across to the players.

Bottom line its costing ballgames and small sample size or not, even though this is basically a "throw-away" year it needs to be corrected and improved. (I would say it needs to stop but that's a pipe-dream)
Pass the pipe, Hombre. I hope things get better, but right now they look like a AA team. Excuses cut it at that level, not up in the big time. They have pretty much told us to except this tripe for baseball.

BK59