White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How worried are you about Moncada?
Not worried 19 20.65%
Somewhat worried 26 28.26%
Worried 20 21.74%
Very worried 20 21.74%
Only worried if he hates churros 7 7.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2018, 10:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Yes, definitely. Unless the difference in hands and instincts is really clear and obvious, arm strength is always the key factor in deciding who can or can't start at shortstop in the big leagues. Generally speaking, balls hit to third basemen are usually harder and faster than what the shortstop gets, so the third baseman can usually get away with having just an okay arm because they have more time to get the ball across the diamond. A shortstop needs to be able to throw darts across the infield even when the ball is taking their momentum away from first, which is rarely the case for third basemen. So at the end of the day, if someone is good enough to even play a marginal short in the majors, they can almost definitely play a good enough third base.

Anderson's great play at the beginning of the game against Kansas City last week comes to mind. There are plenty of infielders that could have fielded the ball in the outfield grass towards the left field line, but there aren't that many who can make the transfer and throw the ball 140 feet to first in time to get the runner.

That's why I don't really understand a lot of the angst around Anderson's offensive performance. In spite of a few frustrating errors here and there than can probably be attributed to mental focus, he's shown that he can play a pretty damn good shortstop. Even though he's not an All-Star or a world beater with the bat, we could do a whole lot worse at the 6 than having a 20/20 hitter who's really at his worst an average Major League caliber fielder. I mean, nobody who actually watched the 2005 team is ever going to claim that Juan Uribe was a particularly outstanding shortstop (the second out of the ninth inning of game 4 was a ****ing incredible play of course, but nobody can honestly say that was the standard for the whole season), but he did enough with the bat to justify his perfectly fine, average defense. I think Anderson should be thought of the same way.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Yes, definitely. Unless the difference in hands and instincts is really clear and obvious, arm strength is always the key factor in deciding who can or can't start at shortstop in the big leagues. Generally speaking, balls hit to third basemen are usually harder and faster than what the shortstop gets, so the third baseman can usually get away with having just an okay arm because they have more time to get the ball across the diamond. A shortstop needs to be able to throw darts across the infield even when the ball is taking their momentum away from first, which is rarely the case for third basemen. So at the end of the day, if someone is good enough to even play a marginal short in the majors, they can almost definitely play a good enough third base.

Anderson's great play at the beginning of the game against Kansas City last week comes to mind. There are plenty of infielders that could have fielded the ball in the outfield grass towards the left field line, but there aren't that many who can make the transfer and throw the ball 140 feet to first in time to get the runner.

That's why I don't really understand a lot of the angst around Anderson's offensive performance. In spite of a few frustrating errors here and there than can probably be attributed to mental focus, he's shown that he can play a pretty damn good shortstop. Even though he's not an All-Star or a world beater with the bat, we could do a whole lot worse at the 6 than having a 20/20 hitter who's really at his worst an average Major League caliber fielder. I mean, nobody who actually watched the 2005 team is ever going to claim that Juan Uribe was a particularly outstanding shortstop (the second out of the ninth inning of game 4 was a ****ing incredible play of course, but nobody can honestly say that was the standard for the whole season), but he did enough with the bat to justify his perfectly fine, average defense. I think Anderson should be thought of the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
Right. Uribe had a laser for an arm. Remember the Joe Crede game and how he saved the Sox and gave them a chance to win it? Uribe played a nice SS all year.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Right. Uribe had a laser for an arm. Remember the Joe Crede game and how he saved the Sox and gave them a chance to win it? Uribe played a nice SS all year.
I doubt that Anderson will ever be as good and consistent a defender as Uribe. I realize that evaluating players defensively has been controversial for generations, but I can't see how anyone could evaluate Uribe's defense negatively. He was darn good.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Yeah, he had a great arm that made up for the fact that he didn’t have great range, being that he physically resembled a fire hydrant a little more than your average big league shortstop. I’ll revise my statement a little bit, because he was definitely better than average. Not extraordinarily so but he had a few very good years with the glove. He made his share of errors and was nothing special but very solid.

Anyway, all I’m saying is that all things being equal, if you have two infielders with similar range, instincts, and hands, the one with the better arm plays short, and the bar for offense for even an average fielding shortstop is a lot lower than probably any other position outside of catcher.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:52 AM
WSI High Priest

RH Moncada is a disgrace. IMO scrap the Switch Hitter stuff. Play him against RH pitchers the rest the way. Getting him out of the LO spot IMO was long overdue. Worried? Maybe to strong right now. Concerned? Yes.