White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How worried are you about Moncada?
Not worried 19 20.65%
Somewhat worried 26 28.26%
Worried 20 21.74%
Very worried 20 21.74%
Only worried if he hates churros 7 7.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2018, 04:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Not worried.

Let him have his 500 AB's. He will figure it out.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
Not worried.

Let him have his 500 AB's. He will figure it out.

Just my opinion.
You mean 500 more?

In 632 major league at bats (718 PA), he's slashed .222/.311/.394 and is steadily declining.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I'm with you on that. Others may scoff at me saying this, but Sox management, coaching, and position player development over the years has given me little reason to feel confident that they have the competence to help get Moncada on track.
Very true.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:49 PM
WSI High Priest

He's definitely on #bustwatch now, but the Sox probably have the luxury of trotting him out there for another two years and hoping something improves. It's not like he's blocking anyone.

Same is true of Giolito and Lopez. Really no reason not to keep trotting these guys out there.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 08-08-2018, 06:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

I am not worried. He either makes it or he doesn't. If he doesn't move on to Plan B.

(Quite a change since I once felt he had to be our version of Bryant.)
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 08-08-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
I do not agree with this opinion at all. Why are the Sox not in a position to let players develop at the ML level? That's exactly the position they are in right now and exactly why they hit the reset button a couple years ago. This is the process. It's painful, it's ugly, it's difficult to watch but this is all to be expected right now. It seems like to me that people are trying to tie in their irrational fear of the White Sox being "irrelevant" to speeding up this process and claiming the Sox can't afford to be in this position. Which is just a bunch of bull****.

Why, you ask?

Because they need to capitalize with this young talent while the cost is cheap. That's why. It serves the Sox no good for Moncada being another Avisail Garcia still "finding himself" into years 5 and 6. These guys need to be good sooner than later. By these guys meaning the highly rated prospects.

And I'm not saying Moncada has no chance of turning it around years 2 and 3 coming up. But need to see that progression. Right now he's a worse ML player than he was at the end of 2017.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think part of the reason for the total freakout abount Moncada is that other blue-chip prospects are coming up and delivering right away. Torres is already a star. Same with Acuna. Soto is 19 and playing like an MVP. The growing pains that often come in the first year or two aren't hitting these other guys like Moncada, so it makes it seem more likely that he's a bust. At this point I just want Eloy or Kopech to come up so that people will stop talking about Yoan.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:15 PM
WSI Personality

I don't like the strikeouts.

His approach at the plate is laughable.

He has the talent to be a star. I think he needs some real coaching.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Here's what worries me the most about Moncada: When was the last time the Sox had a position player come up, struggle and then make the necessary adjustments required for long-term success?

Moncada's line is basically the same as Javier Baez through this point in their careers. Baez was able to turn things around and has become an All-Star and one of the best all-around players in the game. Is the White Sox coaching staff capable of doing that with Moncada? I don't know. But I think it is safe to say that neither the Sox coaching staff or the the front office has earned the benefit of the doubt for now.

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-09-2018, 11:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post

I was not overly excited at first when I heard the Sox were targeting Nick Madrigal in the draft. I was just not a fan of the size.

But boy is he a breath of fresh air in this era of ML hacks who find it acceptable to strikeout 200 times per season. Nick was quoted a few weeks back where he says strikeouts are embarrassing.

I need more of these guys in my life and on my team. Have pride in your work. Strikeouts = Failure (unless you plan to hit 40 bombs and walk 100+ times.)
Old 08-09-2018, 11:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Here's what worries me the most about Moncada: When was the last time the Sox had a position player come up, struggle and then make the necessary adjustments required for long-term success?

Moncada's line is basically the same as Javier Baez through this point in their careers. Baez was able to turn things around and has become an All-Star and one of the best all-around players in the game. Is the White Sox coaching staff capable of doing that with Moncada? I don't know. But I think it is safe to say that neither the Sox coaching staff or the the front office has earned the benefit of the doubt for now.

The Sox haven't harvested a prospect with close to Moncada's projections since Gordon Beckham so it's a hard question to answer in context. Before Beckham (who failed to adjust at the plate after his first year), Rowand, Crede and Ventura all struggled when they were promoted and all adjusted. The expectations for Robin were even higher than they are for Moncada.

277-241.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post

This guy was hyped to the moon and the stars. He's play of late is beyond bad. Of course people are worried. I agree with you that he has considerable talent. It makes it all the more frustrating. Count me among the worried, even the very worried. I don't give up because I know he has it in him although I mostly doubt it's ever going to happen.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
If there isn't an original idea posted soon, this thread is being closed. I'm getting car sick.

This is a Groundhog Day thread.
Please don't. This is a legitimate concern now. We have certainly reached a line where he is dividing the fanbase. If this post was in May, I'd agree - but not now.

With all the statistics associated with baseball, batting average remains my key variable. Usually a .200 gets you sent down, and a .300 gets you an All-Star nod.

Today Moncada is at .218. This is simply bad. Even worse being the best prospect in ALL of baseball at one time. People have been saying Baez had a slow start - but in his first full season (over 400 AB), his BA was .273. For that matter, Rowand was .310, Crede .261 and Ventura .249.

If Moncada was averaging .249 at this point, I'd feel much better about his future - and so would many others. The fact that he is not close to this, and only sinking, brings justified concern to all fans - especially in light of what we gave up for him.

If he doesn't right the ship, it's a severe hit to our progress.

Maybe the Red Sox knew something...
Old 08-09-2018, 03:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post
Please don't. This is a legitimate concern now. We have certainly reached a line where he is dividing the fanbase. If this post was in May, I'd agree - but not now.

With all the statistics associated with baseball, batting average remains my key variable. Usually a .200 gets you sent down, and a .300 gets you an All-Star nod.

Today Moncada is at .218. This is simply bad. Even worse being the best prospect in ALL of baseball at one time. People have been saying Baez had a slow start - but in his first full season (over 400 AB), his BA was .273. For that matter, Rowand was .310, Crede .261 and Ventura .249.

If Moncada was averaging .249 at this point, I'd feel much better about his future - and so would many others. The fact that he is not close to this, and only sinking, brings justified concern to all fans - especially in light of what we gave up for him.

If he doesn't right the ship, it's a severe hit to our progress.

Maybe the Red Sox knew something...
What Boston knew is that they couldn’t get a pitcher of Sale’s caliber without giving up elite prospects.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 08-09-2018, 03:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
What Boston knew is that they couldn’t get a pitcher of Sale’s caliber without giving up elite prospects.
Exactly, and now it's the Sox duty to get the most out of the kid's talent.

I keep hearing the Red Sox being geniuses behind all this. Give me a ****ing break Every publication had this kid as being elite can't miss material.