White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How worried are you about Moncada?
Not worried 19 20.65%
Somewhat worried 26 28.26%
Worried 20 21.74%
Very worried 20 21.74%
Only worried if he hates churros 7 7.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2018, 05:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I keep hearing the Red Sox being geniuses behind all this. Give me a ****ing break Every publication had this kid as being elite can't miss material.
I won't claim they are geniuses - but maybe their gut told them something. Are #1 league prospects regularly used in trades?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:03 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post

Maybe the Red Sox knew something...

The Sox chose him and as others have said he was considered the elite prospect by many. If boston knew anything it wasnt about his abilities.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:12 PM
WSI High Priest

There is no leadoff man on this team, as neither Moncada nor Anderson can lead off. I think giving up on a 23 year old is asinine, he also hasn't shown a whole lot to inspire confidence.
Looking at his numbers on fangraphs, we're at that phase where pitchers have adjusted to him, but he hasn't adjusted back. If he can, great. I still want him swinging earlier in the count.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The Sox chose him and as others have said he was considered the elite prospect by many. If boston knew anything it wasnt about his abilities.
When the Red Sox brought him up in Sept. of 2016, though a very small sample he struck out 12 out of 19 times, he also struck out a lot in the Minors. There must be something Boston didn't like about him that they were willing to give up on such a highly touted elite prospect and trade him.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:26 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post
I won't claim they are geniuses - but maybe their gut told them something. Are #1 league prospects regularly used in trades?
Are genuine ace quality, probably HOF caliber pitchers already signed to 3 years of cheap salary regularly available in trade?

Sale was a very unique situation. I can't recall a pitcher of that caliber with that many years of inexpensive team control traded before.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
When the Red Sox brought him up in Sept. of 2016, though a very small sample he struck out 12 out of 19 times, he also struck out a lot in the Minors. There must be something Boston didn't like about him that they were willing to give up on this highly touted elite prospect and trade him.
Maybe they just loved Sale that much. And honestly if a team was that close to competing who wouldn't?

Moncada and Kopech and two other well thought of prospects were traded for Sale because Sale was worth that much.

As to the original question in this thread, concerned would be a better description of how I feel. I still hope it's just a slump and maybe with some down time this off season he comes back fresh next year.

Anyone remember that horrible year Konerko had about 3 or so years into his tenure with the Sox? He remained in a slump for like 4 months before busting out. I am still hopeful this is something like that.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Maybe they just loved Sale that much. And honestly if a team was that close to competing who wouldn't?

Moncada and Kopech and two other well thought of prospects were traded for Sale because Sale was worth that much.

As to the original question in this thread, concerned would be a better description of how I feel. I still hope it's just a slump and maybe with some down time this off season he comes back fresh next year.

Anyone remember that horrible year Konerko had about 3 or so years into his tenure with the Sox? He remained in a slump for like 4 months before busting out. I am still hopeful this is something like that.
They loved Sale, but they weren't willing to give up Benintendi for him but they were with Yoan.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile

2003 is the year you are thinking of for Konerko. He was basically a righty version of 2011 Adam Dunn, with a .525 OPS the first three months of that season.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
They loved Sale, but they weren't willing to give up Benintendi for him but they were with Yoan.
Benintendi had a higher floor but lower ceiling than Moncada at the time of the trade. Boston is in win-now mode, so it made more sense to keep Benintendi. Besides, whatever they knew about Moncada goes the same for what they knew about Kopech and Basabe.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 08-09-2018, 06:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
You make it sound as if Moncada was chopped liver at the time.

Moncada was the #1 of #1s.

Hahn made the right deal at the time.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Yeah, this is revisionist history at its finest.

I've shifted from not being worried at all to very worried. Not 'can't sleep' worried or declaring the rebuild dead in the water - just legitimately concerned that he will never reach his potential. I'm still bullish about the Sox future and no single player could/should destroy a team's chances. That's especially true when the Sox managed to possibly get two starting pitchers for Adam Eaton. That kind of balances things out a bit in my mind. And that isn't even considering what the future holds for Kopech.

But at this point, it's completely reasonably to be deeply disappointed in his play. He showed flashes and started hitting everything in sight and then got nicked up and hasn't been the same since. He's far too talented to be sitting at .217 in August. It's the job of the Sox coaching staff to help get him straightened out. It's also his job to take his craft seriously and make whatever adjustments are necessary. Not saying that he isn't but this off-season should be about fixing whatever's broken in his swing.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Benintendi had a higher floor but lower ceiling than Moncada at the time of the trade. Boston is in win-now mode, so it made more sense to keep Benintendi. Besides, whatever they knew about Moncada goes the same for what they knew about Kopech and Basabe.
Quote:

Agreed. Sale for Moncada AND Kopech AND Basabe still looks good on paper without the benefit of a crystal ball to 2018 (not to mention to 2019 or '20, which we still don't have). Yes, Boston was higher on Benintendi, but that doesn't make the trade a bad one for the White Sox.

Wasn't one of the Sox goals in those tear down trades to seek several prospects in return to hedge against being too reliant on the success of any one of those prospects? Would Boston have balked at including Kopech in the trade if they relented and give us Benintendi instead of Moncada? What would fans think of the trade then? We could go on forever playing all the what ifs here.

Ahhh, in hindsight, if only the Sox had lost a couple of more games in 2014. We would have simply drafted Benintendi instead of Fulmer.....and the Sox did make clear that he was the guy they were hoping would fall to them at pick #8.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Not saying that at all, I'm saying from what I've read is that Boston thought more of
Benintendi than Moncada.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-09-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

He was the number one rated prospect at the time that is true. So was Matt Anderson. A number one rated prospect is still a prospect.

That said, Moncada gets every chance to play himself on/off this team.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-09-2018, 08:12 PM
WSI High Priest

https://www.soxmachine.com/2018/08/0...mple-solution/