Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2018, 10:16 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Post *Official* 5-17 Ricky's Boys Don't Quit Postgamer

Nice comeback in tribute to the free T-shirt Thursday motto. A little help from the Rangers, one key helpful ball call from the home plate ump, and an exciting win.

:

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W

Next Game Jun 22
Old 05-17-2018, 10:17 PM
WSI Personality

Default *Official* 5/17 A Rare Home Win Postgamer

Nice late comeback tonight. Good to get a W at home. Shields turned in a solid 7.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:19 PM
WSI Regular

Default Nice Win

Shields pitched great! Nice comeback by the good guys!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:28 PM
WSI Guru

3rd time this year Sox have won when trailing in the 7th inning or later.

Refreshing change.

On the postgame show Melton was wondering how Jones continues to get himself in trouble with the "stuff" he has.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:30 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Shields was great. He needs a few more of those in a row to establish some trade value.

Jones has no idea where the ball is going.

Moncada got very little satisfaction out of a great night at the plate. It's good that still he got to score after the inside-the-parker was taken away.

On the other hand, Thompson is done. Palka deserves some of Delmonico's playing time.

And Anderson is really struggling. I could stomach an OBP under .300 if he was a good shortstop, but he's not a good shortstop. I love the tools, but I don't love the player.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:42 PM
WSI Personality

Really enjoyable game regardless of the outcome.

I love good pitching performances.

That missed strike call on Delmonico is inexcusable for an ump though.
Changed the outcome of the game.

Nate Jones needs to warm up in the bullpen and not after his 2nd batter faced. I'm tired of seeing that garbage. He obviously wasn't ready AGAIN.

Don't look now, but the Sox are undefeated in the last day or so. Look out ALC!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:59 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
That missed strike call on Delmonico is inexcusable for an ump though. Changed the outcome of the game.
So did all the missed calls earlier. Many pitches outside the strike zone given to Fister. Many pitches in the strike zone by Shields called balls. Again, most of the bad pitches called strikes were to our younger players, like Anderson and Moncada. Can't learn the strike zone that way.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Shields was great. He needs a few more of those in a row to establish some trade value.

Jones has no idea where the ball is going.

Moncada got very little satisfaction out of a great night at the plate. It's good that still he got to score after the inside-the-parker was taken away.

On the other hand, Thompson is done. Palka deserves some of Delmonico's playing time.

And Anderson is really struggling. I could stomach an OBP under .300 if he was a good shortstop, but he's not a good shortstop. I love the tools, but I don't love the player.
Bad hands is a tool a good SS doesn't need. Backing up Abreu with a guy who hits an occasional single is not a good idea. Palooka does deserve a shot at it. Jones's 97 is straight as a string when he gets it over. More sliders, Nate.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:08 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Why is it that so many Sox fans here think of their team as being nothing more than a glorified farm team for other MLB teams? Have we not learned from the examples of the KC Athletics and the St. Louis Browns that you just can't keep on trading players without building a solid core?
Old 05-18-2018, 01:10 AM
WSI Regular

How is it possible for someone to pitch 7 1/3rd innings of solid ball and not get the win?
Old 05-18-2018, 02:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
Why is it that so many Sox fans here think of their team as being nothing more than a glorified farm team for other MLB teams? Have we not learned from the examples of the KC Athletics and the St. Louis Browns that you just can't keep on trading players without building a solid core?
I don’t understand. Is the teal missing?
Old 05-18-2018, 04:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
He's a young player who is developing. I'd like the average higher but time will tell. All in all, he's defense has been good.

I'd agree that he needs to constantly work on the defensive side of the game.

Having Omar Vizquel work with him would be ideal.

I can't wait to see how some of these prospects perform when they get called up. The speed of the game is different and they have to play sound baseball. Will they do it. We will see.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-18-2018, 06:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
So did all the missed calls earlier. Many pitches outside the strike zone given to Fister. Many pitches in the strike zone by Shields called balls. Again, most of the bad pitches called strikes were to our younger players, like Anderson and Moncada. Can't learn the strike zone that way.
Again I fimd myself agreeing with you. I only caught about 2/3s of the game, but for the second game in a row the ball/strike calling was atrocious. Texas' manager was fully within his right to get pissed and thrown out, that missed strike 3 was inexcusable.

At least the Sox took advantage of it in the end, but gawd

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 05-18-2018, 06:55 AM
WSI Prelate

It’s nice to get a win.

It’s also nice, at the quarter mark of the season, to begin to see some individual themes emerging.

For instance, Moncada appears to be the real deal.

Anderson still has improvement to make. He may be one of those hot and cold hitters like Juan Uribe.

Davidson may be playing his way into long-term consideration, while Delmonico may not be. This is something that we wouldn’t have learned this year if we were trying to compete; Davidson would have been launched long before he was both walking and launching moon shots.

Maybe Shields still has enough in the tank to give our overextended bullpen an occasional break. I don’t think he’ll build much trade value but there’s some value in eating innings. Maybe when Rodon and Kopech are up, Shields’ presence allows the Sox to send Giolito to Charlotte if they are so inclined.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Nice to get a win! Kept waiting for the shoe to drop, but it didn't last night. Go Sox!