GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2018, 07:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
How is it possible for someone to pitch 7 1/3rd innings of solid ball and not get the win?

Ask Jose Quintana! Shields was excellent last night.

277-241.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
How is it possible for someone to pitch 7 1/3rd innings of solid ball and not get the win?
Lack of run support, of course.

Still, a win is a win.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Why is it that so many Sox fans here think of their team as being nothing more than a glorified farm team for other MLB teams? Have we not learned from the examples of the KC Athletics and the St. Louis Browns that you just can't keep on trading players without building a solid core?
James Shields is on his last legs. He has no long term value to the team and will be gone off it middle of next season latest. He's also older and not part of the current youth movement from that perspective either.

If the Sox can get something for him, great, because they aren't playing for this year anyway.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-18-2018, 09:21 AM
WSI Prelate

That's got to be Shields' best effort in a White Sox uniform.
Go get yourself flippable, James!
Old 05-18-2018, 11:06 AM
WSI Regular

Nice comeback win and another gutty performance from Shields. The younger pitchers on this staff can learn a lot from this guy.

Sox took advantage of a crucial questionable call by the home plate umpire and a throwing error by the Rangers' relief pitcher. Rangers' manager Bannister had every right to complain and get tossed. It may have been the turning point in the game last night.

Would like to see more of Palka. The Thompson experiment should be coming to an end real soon. Nice catch in the mid-innings by Garcia, who continues to show he has some utility skills to offer.

Jones is erratic at best, and unfortunately he is our best arm out of the pen. Anderson? The kid has some rough skills, including a live bat. Defensively he is still a work in progress. The front office loves him and gave him a fat contract. I'm still not sold on him being the shortstop a few years from now. Too bad they moved Tatis. He may be the real deal we could use in 2020.

Need to make sure Davidson's bat is regularly in the lineup. His pitch selection is improved over last year, and the guy has some eye-popping power when he gets a hold of one.

The winning streak is at one. Let's keep it going tonight.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:07 PM
WSI Guru

Texas gifted that game to the White Sox, and I'll gladly take it. I feel as though there haven't been too many times this season where the opposition has had a meltdown and given things to the Sox.

Sure, that pitch to Delmonico was strike three, but the Rangers had Davidson down 0-2 with a chance to get out of the inning with the lead and couldn't do it. They can bitch about the umpiring all they want, but they pissed that game away.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-18-2018, 12:25 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Texas gifted that game to the White Sox, and I'll gladly take it. I feel as though there haven't been too many times this season where the opposition has had a meltdown and given things to the Sox.

Sure, that pitch to Delmonico was strike three, but the Rangers had Davidson down 0-2 with a chance to get out of the inning with the lead and couldn't do it. They can bitch about the umpiring all they want, but they pissed that game away.
I thought an earlier pitch was ball 4 and got called a strike but admit I haven't checked the strike zone plot.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:54 PM
WSI High Priest

I loved seeing Moncada with a 3 hit night. He has cut the Ks down a bit since coming off the DL. The ball really jumps off his bat when he makes contact and the statcast exit velocity backs that up. The double he hit in the 8th was hit so hard that it got jammed under the padding.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 05-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Why is it that so many Sox fans here think of their team as being nothing more than a glorified farm team for other MLB teams? Have we not learned from the examples of the KC Athletics and the St. Louis Browns that you just can't keep on trading players without building a solid core?
Shields == core?

Old 05-18-2018, 04:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Shields == core?

I think it was brilliant schtick.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98
That Davidson at-bat was a thing of beauty. In any previous year, that at-bat would have ended with a K, and the White Sox likely would have lost.