Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 09:52 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
But the roster has essentially 2 utility players, and no real bench bat.
3 if you include the starting 3B.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:03 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Cordell was sent down last night.

Trib link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...322-story.html

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 03-23-2018, 09:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile
Sox have a lot of room in that department and very little demands on that money until 2021 or even later due to the high number of young cost controlled players expected to be on the team the next several years.
It’s still a significant commitment for a team ranked 18th in revenues (2016) and still inexplicably barred from the revenue sharing program. We don’t qualify for revenue sharing, we don’t qualify for competitive balance draft picks, our compensatory draft picks are lower than other teams, and our TV situation is in limbo. By necessity, our free agent signings and big-money extensions need to succeed significantly more often than many other teams.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:25 AM
WSI Regular

Fangraphs came out with their CF projections and we're last by a lot: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018...-center-field/

That's about right I think. I can't put us above anyone in the majors at CF right now. Engel has a good glove but didn't hit. Leury is a backup. Tilson will hurt himself putting his pants on.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Some might suggest Jake Burger. But even in that case, the odds of him making a full recovery from his injury are pretty good. The worst thing about his injury is that it sets back his development and ETA about a year.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your overall point.
Very true about Burger and that's where the list ends....

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 03-23-2018, 04:05 PM
WSI Guru

Daryl Van Schouwen just tweeted a few minutes ago that Yoan Moncada was hurt trying to advance to 3rd base on a ground ball hit to the shortstop (dumb base running first off). Van Schouwen said he "was down for a moment and walked off the field with the training staff."

Stay turned.

UPDATE: Van Schouwen just tweeted that he appears to be OK walking around the dugout on his own and is staying in the game.

Whew!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
3 if you include the starting 3B.
I had a dream the other night that Yolmer, who has 21 homers in 4 seasons (but 12 in 2017) developed into another middle infielder who had 21 homers in his first 4 seasons: Jose Altuve.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I had a dream the other night that Yolmer, who has 21 homers in 4 seasons (but 12 in 2017) developed into another middle infielder who had 21 homers in his first 4 seasons: Jose Altuve.
That's some dream!
Old 03-23-2018, 06:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Daryl Van Schouwen just tweeted a few minutes ago that Yoan Moncada was hurt trying to advance to 3rd base on a ground ball hit to the shortstop (dumb base running first off). Van Schouwen said he "was down for a moment and walked off the field with the training staff."

Stay turned.

UPDATE: Van Schouwen just tweeted that he appears to be OK walking around the dugout on his own and is staying in the game.

Whew!
I usually wait to see flames before screaming FIRE.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You are dreaming the impossible dream. I'm also a little worried about you. Yolmer Sanchez dreams?!

272-235.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:05 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
I usually wait to see flames before screaming FIRE.
Just passing along what he wrote. His words not mine. Given the Sox injury "luck" (LOL) I fully expected something serious.

Glad for once they got some "good luck."
Old 03-23-2018, 09:21 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Just passing along what he wrote. His words not mine. Given the Sox injury "luck" (LOL) I fully expected something serious.

Glad for once they got some "good luck."
Guess I'm confused. In this thread you keep saying you don't believe in luck and in the March Madness thread you keep going on how Loyola has great luck.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Guess I'm confused. In this thread you keep saying you don't believe in luck and in the March Madness thread you keep going on how Loyola has great luck.

When you win your last four tournament games by a basket at the end and by a total of six points there is a "luck" factor involved in the game itself. That doesn't mean I believe in it but that's one way to explain it. The only way that I know of, because the Loyola players are good but not that good. And you are talking about a very small sample size not two plus years worth of 162 games for example.

As Al McGuire once said, "to win a tournament you have to have a game where the last shot goes in." Loyola's had four of them.

The White Sox injury situation, as I have pointed out, now has gone above the league average in DL stints and in games lost. That indicates to me something over and above "luck." I think it is complacency based on the length of service of the training / medical staff which hasn't changed in decades. Not their fault, as I've stated. Human nature which needs to be 'shook up' from time to time.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile

Checkmate.

A “You make your own luck” mantra dictates the entire argument about the White Sox training/medical staff being somehow responsible for injuries. If that were the case, then Loyola’s tournament success must also be the direct results of something that Loyola is doing right, like being a “clutch” team.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Checkmate.

A “You make your own luck” mantra dictates the entire argument about the White Sox training/medical staff being somehow responsible for injuries.
Hopefully these players make their own luck next year:

Luis Robert, Eloy Jimenez, Micker Adolfo & Jake Burger.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Closed Thread