GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2019, 01:31 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
As a one time thing I think it's been entertaining, but I don't know if you could do it again.
It worked out all right, especially with it being a West Coast game where viewership wouldn't be all that great anyhow. But, yes, it shouldn't become a regular thing.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:00 AM
WSI Prelate

That was really the ideal type of game for him to announce. Iím so floured he got to call those home runs. Can they bring him back for Luis Robertís debut?
Old 08-17-2019, 03:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Most fun i've had watching the sox in years and years.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

That was the worst and most embarrassing broadcast I have ever watched. How many inning, how many outs, 4 balls and a walk? Seriously this was bad, I had to shut it off......

It was embarrassing when they had Giolito's brother in the booth, Walton wouldn't let the poor kid talk.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

I thought Walton was very entertaining a great break from the minutia of the usual chatter of pitch sequences and other baseball insider information that can be tedious, especially for casual fans. My wife watched part of the broadcast and loved Walton's unique approach and take on things.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:59 AM
WSI Personality

I only caught highlights, thanks to some very positive press the Sox are getting in USA Today. I thought it sounded fun for a game. Something different. Good idea.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Can I just say that tonight's broadcast may be the most entertaining in team history?

Spot on. I've never laughed as much or harder during any sporting event. It was brilliant and I loved every minute of the broadcast. Jason was a near perfect straight man for Walton. Had Stone or Hawk or Farmer been in the booth, I believe it would have failed miserably. That was fun and kudos to the Sox and NBC Sports Chicago. "He's not a Bummer. He's a meteor. An asteroid soaring across the universe."

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 08-17-2019, 08:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Being the same age, how could i not enjoy Bill Walton's zany positiveness and joy de vivre . as an old guy with health problems, i tend to nod off on a lot these late games, but damn if Walton didn't keep waking me up, heh . it was great fun, but like an outrageous party that gets way out of hand, i'm not quite sure that i would want to do it again . that being said, i love the guy!!!
Old 08-17-2019, 08:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

So. Tonight's guest broadcaster is Mike Schur, who knows a lot about baseball, and Sunday's is Mike O'Brien, a huge Sox fan. There will no doubt also be mentions of the funny shows each has been associated with.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

I remember when John Wooden basically muzzled his players. Try to imagine Walton giving little more than one-word answers during interviews when he was at UCLA. It didn’t make him appear very intelligent. Same went for Alcindor.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:27 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIsHere View Post
That was the worst and most embarrassing broadcast I have ever watched. How many inning, how many outs, 4 balls and a walk? Seriously this was bad, I had to shut it off......

It was embarrassing when they had Giolito's brother in the booth, Walton wouldn't let the poor kid talk.
Ditto. If ten years were to pass before Walton was again invited into the broadcast booth, it would be much too soon. I had to turn it off.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Glad some of you enjoyed the broadcast. I lasted about two batters before I changed the channel. I fell asleep eventually anyway.

I still have fond memories of Bill Walton doing NBA games in the 90s. He was probably the worst announcer ever not named Bill Walsh.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
Counterpoint.

[Jane, you ignorant slut.]

I got home from a drive in the car in the 4th inning. Turned on the TV and realized he still didn't know the name of the Sox starting pitcher and wasn't letting Benetti get a word in edgewise about the actual game. Checked his Wikipedia article and found it devoid of the word "baseball". Checked it again for the word "Chicago" and only found references to a couple playoff series against the Bulls. Hard pass. Listening to Farmer and DJ. AJ or Ozzie in the booth would have been way more entertaining. Would it have killed them to get a gimmick color-man with a Chicago connection?
I dream of the day AJ boots nasally Stone out of the booth and Benetti takes a gig announcing spike ball.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
They sure do, and a lot of broadcasters themselves extend them there.

No silliness! This sporting is serious business.
I can understand why people wouldn't want him as a full time guy, but once in a lifetime was fun. Even if they did it once a year would be funny and cool.

Nice game too. New question to be answered. Maybe Jason knows the answer... What's the record for consecutive grand slams in bases loaded at bats by a player?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-17-2019, 10:00 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

As I listened as much as i could stomach (about 2 innings), I kept thinking the only way this would be classic, if walton was in the booth with harrelson.