White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 02:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydogs View Post
Tribune still owns like 5% of the Cubs so the paper isn't going to change its reporting style. The bigger issue for me is I see the Cubs eventually moving to WSCR The Score instead of staying on WBBM. I don't want the number one sports station in town, and my favorite, to be completely pro Cubs. Actually, it has already started; They've been talking up the Cubs big time in recent days and even running Cubs commercials.

One important part of the deal that's getting less discussion is the promotion CBS radio plans to do for the Cubs, across all 7 of their local stations, both for games and concerts. Sox don't have that benefit in their current contract and it's something WGN radio can not offer. Prepare to be inundated in Cub-ness next season if you live in the Chicagoland area.

Also, someone mentioned possible benefits from Cubs games being dropped from WGN TV. WGN America is dropping all Chicago sports from its national feed and it won't matter for either team because we live in the MLB.tv age for out-of-market viewers. Locally, fans can see games on WGN, CSN et al. It isn't going to net followers for the Sox or take away anyone from the Cubs. All they have to do is win a few games and the bandwagon gets fired up again...

Alternatively, I hope the Sox are able to renew their contract to block the Cubs from being moved over to WSCR after 2015.
All those Cubs lovers at XRT must be tickled pink over this part of the deal.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
All those Cubs lovers at XRT must be tickled pink over this part of the deal.
According to The Score, Lin Brehmer played an influential part in getting the Cubs to sign with CBS radio because of the cross promotional possibilities.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydogs View Post
According to The Score, Lin Brehmer played an influential part in getting the Cubs to sign with CBS radio because of the cross promotional possibilities.
No surprise there. XRT already acts as if there is one and only one opening day to the baseball season in Chicago - and that's the one on the North Side.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
No surprise there. XRT already acts as if there is one and only one opening day to the baseball season in Chicago - and that's the one on the North Side.
Exactly. I've been an XRT listener for 30+ years but that the world revolves around the Cubbies attitude turns me off XRT.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-17-2014, 06:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Apparently it doesn't turn you off if you've been listening all those years.