White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2015, 07:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Frankie Montas no hits Cubs AA affiliate

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...recap&sid=t247

That Jake Peavy trade keeps looking better and better.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018 View Post

I had him pegged as a reliever. No more.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Sweet. Hope this continues and he really does turn into a major league quality starter. Sox may have quite the rotation for several years to come if that happens.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:02 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I'm probably going to get ripped apart for this, but with all of the exciting pitching in the minors, now including Fulmer who could be ready as early as late 2016, it might be the time to explore trading Quintana.

He has established himself to the point that with his super-friendly contract they should be able to get a TON for him. Obviously that is the ONLY way you do it. If you can get something well beyond what the cubs got for Shark, you have to consider it. I would want some major league ready stud position players so that it wouldn't necessarily be giving up on 2016.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I'm probably going to get ripped apart for this, but with all of the exciting pitching in the minors, now including Fulmer who could be ready as early as late 2016, it might be the time to explore trading Quintana.

He has established himself to the point that with his super-friendly contract they should be able to get a TON for him. Obviously that is the ONLY way you do it. If you can get something well beyond what the cubs got for Shark, you have to consider it. I would want some major league ready stud position players so that it wouldn't necessarily be giving up on 2016.
I see the logic. The Sox have to do something to get some young position players in here and they don't come for free.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I see the logic. The Sox have to do something to get some young position players in here and they don't come for free.
Yeah, packaging Quintana and Samardzija to a contender who loses an arm in the next month or two is an interesting idea; I'm curious what kind of return that could yield.

Of course, it'd take some stones to pull the trigger on something like that because they'd be gambling that Sale, Rodon, (pick 2 - Montas, Fulmer, Beck, Darnish), Danks would work as a rotation for next year. My concern would be the probable innings limit on having that many young arms in the rotation.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Highly unlikely to see Q and Samardzija in the same trade. Two different trades is definitely a possibility though I would wait to trade Q until later but agree that he is a potentially very valuable trade chip. I would want to know that some two out of Fulmer, Montas, Danish, Johnson, Beck is ready to join the rotation. So I could see Quintana being moved next year after two of those guys have joined the rotation.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:12 PM
WSI Prelate

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Charlotte has at least 2-4 guys who can handle the 5th spot, and maybe the 4th (we recently called one of them up).
I'd risk trading Q if the return is there.
Maybe keep Shark if he'd sign for something reasonable. (trade him and then sign him back!). Shark just needs to get the ball down.

I'd also try Danks in the pen.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:17 PM
WSI Prelate

The only downside of the no-hitter, if there is one, Montas only K'd 3. For a guy that was averaging a K per IP in the minors, that is down right now. He is not being hit hard, 2.50 era in 10 starts, but he hasn't been the strike out machine of the past.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The only downside of the no-hitter, if there is one, Montas only K'd 3. For a guy that was averaging a K per IP in the minors, that is down right now. He is not being hit hard, 2.50 era in 10 starts, but he hasn't been the strike out machine of the past.
Yeah, I noticed his K's are down. That might be ok if it means he is busy working on his secondary pitches and inducing groundballs or something. But if he is still relying primarily on the fastball but just not getting the same strikeout rate at the higher level then that would be concerning.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Yeah, I noticed his K's are down. That might be ok if it means he is busy working on his secondary pitches and inducing groundballs or something. But if he is still relying primarily on the fastball but just not getting the same strikeout rate at the higher level then that would be concerning.
Well, he may also be learning to pitch. An overly simple critique of his early on was he was a thrower. If he is pitching more, giving up more contact but not solid, then cool, I am fine with that.

I have not seen much of him, but the numbers do not suggest a decline in stuff.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018 View Post

Good for everyone except the Red Sox. Jose Iglesias is a really good offensive and defensive guy. Would love to have gotten him in the deal somehow.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:25 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Good for everyone except the Red Sox. Jose Iglesias is a really good offensive and defensive guy. Would love to have gotten him in the deal somehow.
Well, I mean, they did win the World Series

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Old 06-10-2015, 03:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Well, I mean, they did win the World Series
Did Peavy even pitch in it? Well I'm talking more about now and that they got no value from him. The other parts in the deal are all turning out quite nicely.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Did Peavy even pitch in it? Well I'm talking more about now and that they got no value from him. The other parts in the deal are all turning out quite nicely.
He threw well for Boston during the regular season, he was 4-1 that year for them era of 4, 60% quality start rate.

To be honest I would say it worked out for everyone. The Red Sox traded prospects to strengthen their shot at a title. They got it. They traded future performance for present success.