White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2015, 11:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I have no idea who is running this draft. They want to load up on pitchers and they don't have many hitters in the minors or on the major league team. Yet they'll spend $4 million on utility infielders. They draft pitchers, and yet they trade ML ready hitters to rent a veteran pitcher.
I guess they'll make some sort of move between now and the end of December to move some veteran pitchers.
Hopefully it's for YOUNG hitters and not the usual dead veterans they get all gooey over.

You never draft for Organizational Need in baseball. The draft and the game is too volatile. You always go BPA.

If the Sox end up with 6 or 7 high quality rotational arms, the ability to trade for a bat will be there.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
You never draft for Organizational Need in baseball. The draft and the game is too volatile. You always go BPA.

If the Sox end up with 6 or 7 high quality rotational arms, the ability to trade for a bat will be there.
Not in the specific position sense, but orgs make a pitcher/hitter decision based on need all the time. And here they had a choice of a pitcher or the best hitter in the draft.
And going for someone who is "near ML ready" also violates the pure BPA credo.
And then you get players with high floor/low ceiling v. another who has a low floor/high ceiling, making the BPA difficult to determine and the decision becomes a matter of willingness to absorb risk, and the status of the rest of your organization.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Not in the specific position sense, but orgs make a pitcher/hitter decision based on need all the time. And here they had a choice of a pitcher or the best hitter in the draft.
And then you get players with high floor/low ceiling v. another who has a low floor/high ceiling, making the BPA difficult to determine and the decision becomes a matter of willingness to absorb risk, and the status of the rest of your organization.
Who exactly did you want? The Sox got the consensus best college arm in the draft.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:41 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Still, it'd be nice if the Sox would stop focusing on "toolsy" athletes - Walker, Barnum, Thompson, Mitchell, etc. and instead get some prospects that can flat-out hit. They just don't seem to be very good at 'refining' raw talent and we end up with a bunch of really fast players who don't get on base or hit for average. Rinse and repeat.
Again, I think the Sox have more or less moved away from this philosophy over the last several years now that the new CBA is in place that limits draft picks' signing bonuses. Much like how it was common to see the Sox pick low ceiling pitchers (thinking of guys like Broadway, McCulloch, or Poreda) because they would be cheap signs, they now go after guys like Danish, Adams, Fulmer, etc.

I know there's still plenty of paranoia over KW and JR "insterting" themselves in the process, but I think that's overlooking the way they have actually drafted.

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Old 06-10-2015, 12:43 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
How does any of this apply to Fulmer? Now that Rodon is in the Majors, probably the 3-4 best prospects in the Sox farm system are position players, and maybe the next 2-3 best pitchers in the system are no sure thing to end up in the rotation.

Chillax, bruh
Old 06-10-2015, 12:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Also Barnum is hardly any kind of elite athlete. He was supposed be a big, strong, power hitting 1b.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Micah had an OBP of .333 in his cup of coffee.
How could they possibly give up on him when they sign dogmeat veterans that can't hit a lick.
You have to develop players like this.
How on Earth do you figure they've given up on him? Guys get sent back to the minors all the time when it becomes clear a part of their game isn't MLB ready yet. Quoting Micah's OBP alone and ignoring his horrendous glove does a disservice to both him and the Sox. Getting him steady playing time in AAA to continue to develop defensively is absolutely in the best interests of both Micah and the Sox's long-term plans. Despite the fact he only played in 27 games this year, he's still among the Bottom 10 worst WAR in the AL for the season.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Also Barnum is hardly any kind of elite athlete. He was supposed be a big, strong, power hitting 1b.
He was also a reach.

Fulmer wasn't my first choice, even among pitchers. Delivery and command issues. Hopefully they smooth him out. Don't want him in the pen.

I think the Sox have more pitching in this org. than yall do. We'll see.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
He was also a reach.

Fulmer wasn't my first choice, even among pitchers. Delivery and command issues. Hopefully they smooth him out. Don't want him in the pen.

I think the Sox have more pitching in this org. than yall do. We'll see.
I do agree on Barnum, I did not like that pick at the time.

I am admittedly very high on Fulmer. I think sometimes too much gets made on Delivery. Guys that can pitch, can pitch. To me, he can pitch.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:56 PM
WSI Prelate

The Sox seem to be going after College hitters like Gang-busters in day 3 of this draft. Looks like they are almost hoping to bring in a ton of more developed college kids and hope 1 or 2 move quickly through the system. Pretty interesting approach/ different than usual.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Never mind.

Last edited by Tragg; 06-10-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

And Barnum is not developing well. He is injured once again this year but even before the injury he was hitting at a mediocre clip... which is vast improvement for him! He was definitely a reach. Big strong lefty kid but that's about it. Another guy who "projects" but can't actually play.

Hawkins may turn into a major league power hitter. We'll see. Hopefully this is a big development year for him.

As for pitching, I agree the Sox have some minor league pitchers that will be major league pitchers but I'm not sold on any of them being stars. Despite the no-hitter Montas may yet be best used out of the bullpen. He'll need more than a hot fastball to be a major league starter. Danish is struggling a bit more now that he is at AA. That may just be a learning experience along the road or it may be a sign that he's starting to reach his level of competition. Remains to be seen. Chris Beck strikes me as a 4th or 5th starter at best and borderline major leaguer at worst. Myles Jaye is starting to put some numbers together at AA so perhaps he is learning how to pitch. Wendelken was moved to the bullpen and appears to be throwing well also. Jace Fry is probably going to be a nice major league pitcher. I'm guessing setup lefty in the bullpen. Andre Wheeler continues to put up good numbers and may make a good bullpen lefty as well. While Jordan Guerrero and Spencer Adams are looking good at low A. And there are a few others that might make it to the majors. But none of them blow me away just yet though Adams may well be the best of the bunch. But he's a high school pitcher in low A. It's a long way to the majors from there and lots of good looking kids don't make it that far so I'm not holding my breath waiting on him.

But it sure looks better than it has in years!
Old 06-10-2015, 03:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

That's the way I see it. If we have a surplus of high quality pitching prospects, one could be traded for a quality position player.

If Fulmer is as good as advertised, then no doubt the Sox were right to draft him.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:00 PM
WSI Prelate

If you want a name who might just blow up from no where in this draft

Taylore Cherry from UNC. This was one of the top 25-40 players in the country as a high schooler, went undrafted almost entirely due to his asking price. Then never panned out at UNC. He did not finish the year on their roster. But he is really tall (6'8, 6'9 ish) and big (270 lbs). His velocity never increased as he aged like some thought it would.

You get a kid with this kind of raw potential into hands that can develop, and who knows. He probably never works out, but he is a 32nd round pick. But if he does, you could be looking at a power bullpen arm, a closer, maybe even a dominant starter.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:03 PM
WSI Prelate

36th rounder Michael Hickman is going to be a very tough sign, but if we can land him, he is value there, very good value.