White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,903
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Take time, smooth out his delivery, don't rush him to be a bullpen pitcher.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-08-2015, 08:21 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Take time, smooth out his delivery, don't rush him to be a bullpen pitcher.
Truthfully, that's exactly what I thought we'd do with Tyler Danish. The fact that we haven't -- thankfully! -- leads me to believe that we'll let Fulmer develop as a starter.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-08-2015, 08:33 PM
KyWhiSoxFan KyWhiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,289
Default

I like that Peter Gammons said he loves Fullmer and said the sox got the best college pitcher two years in a row.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,879
Default

Love the pick, did not think he would fall.

I also loved the comment on him "He is intensely driven to be great"

that, for whatever reason, reminded me of Chris Sale.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,879
Default

Also picked the brain of my friend at baseball prospectus... he said the Sox have become VERY confident in their ability to draft talented arms and develop them despite an odd delivery. Keith Law said the same thing in his chat today, I know Chris and Keith worked very closely at ESPN, but they are hearing the same things, which is interesting.

In 3 years... you could see this:

Sale
Rodon
Fulmer
Adams

just incredible
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:14 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 12,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Also picked the brain of my friend at baseball prospectus... he said the Sox have become VERY confident in their ability to draft talented arms and develop them despite an odd delivery. Keith Law said the same thing in his chat today, I know Chris and Keith worked very closely at ESPN, but they are hearing the same things, which is interesting.

In 3 years... you could see this:

Sale
Rodon
Fulmer
Adams

just incredible
Quintana could still be in that rotation too. He's under control through 2020.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:16 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,727
Default

I'm very curious as to whom we'll draft at #112 tomorrow. I honestly think that someone will unexpectedly fall into our laps. I like the fact that under Hahn we don't seem to shy away from higher money demand type picks.

Without the 2nd and 3rd picks we should have plenty of over-slot money for the 4th round. Should be interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:23 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 12,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
I'm very curious as to whom we'll draft at #112 tomorrow. I honestly think that someone will unexpectedly fall into our laps. I like the fact that under Hahn we don't seem to shy away from higher money demand type picks.

Without the 2nd and 3rd picks we should have plenty of over-slot money for the 4th round. Should be interesting.
Doesn't not having a 2nd or 3rd rounder reduce our pool of available dollars though?
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Doesn't not having a 2nd or 3rd rounder reduce our pool of available dollars though?
It does. No indiciation yet if Fulmer will cost the full round 1 slot.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:42 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Doesn't not having a 2nd or 3rd rounder reduce our pool of available dollars though?
Yeah, apparently we have less to spend than I thought. I had 7.5 million in mind (first 10 rounds) but it looks like we only have about 5.3. Not good, if we overpaid for the 4th, others in the 5-10 range would either go unsigned or we would be fined for exceeding the allotted money pool.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:57 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 12,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Yeah, apparently we have less to spend than I thought. I had 7.5 million in mind (first 10 rounds) but it looks like we only have about 5.3. Not good, if we overpaid for the 4th, others in the 5-10 range would either go unsigned or we would be fined for exceeding the allotted money pool.
It's not my money, but as long as we aren't forfeiting future draft picks to make these signings, I'm ok with paying a penalty if it gets us better talent.

No Daz Cameron yet. This fall could cost him his chance at big $$$, but that could also be what precipitated the fall. Although he doesn't come from a family that needs the money, I doubt he utilizes his scholarship offer from FSU and still gets a nice payday. It would be tough for someone like the Astros to sign him with several other high picks, but I know 'Stros fans have to be happy with their haul after tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
It's not my money, but as long as we aren't forfeiting future draft picks to make these signings, I'm ok with paying a penalty if it gets us better talent.

No Daz Cameron yet. This fall could cost him his chance at big $$$, but that could also be what precipitated the fall. Although he doesn't come from a family that needs the money, I doubt he utilizes his scholarship offer from FSU and still gets a nice payday. It would be tough for someone like the Astros to sign him with several other high picks, but I know 'Stros fans have to be happy with their haul after tonight.
His contract demands are 1000% why he dropped. Talent wise, he was top 10, maybe top 5. But he wanted to be paid way above slot, and no one was playing that game.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:23 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
His contract demands are 1000% why he dropped. Talent wise, he was top 10, maybe top 5. But he wanted to be paid way above slot, and no one was playing that game.
Yeah, he's a huge risk. The Astros would be smarter to take Funkhouser or Betts with their upcoming pick.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:24 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 12,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
His contract demands are 1000% why he dropped. Talent wise, he was top 10, maybe top 5. But he wanted to be paid way above slot, and no one was playing that game.
I wonder what the experts say about him signing above slot versus going to college. I guess he could pull a Brady Aiken and go to IMG Academy for a year. I still don't think that fixes his problem of getting someone to back the dump truck up to his door.

Last edited by soxfanreggie; 06-08-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 18,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
I like that Peter Gammons said he loves Fullmer and said the sox got the best college pitcher two years in a row.
I heard someone say before the draft that Fullmer was the best college pitcher in the draft, but I don't know if that was echoing something Gammons had written or said.

Apparently because Fullmer closed a lot in college, he doesn't have the wear that some pitchers from big programs often have. But I don't know if that will mean it will mean it will take him longer to become a quality major league starter.

This may have been the most high-percentage move the Sox could have made in their position, and they weren't in such a bad position. Scouting amateurs and judging what their professional success might be in a game where hitting and pitching success ultimately comes down to a series of one-on-one matchups against other major leaguers is more art than science. Consensus is wrong more than it's right. The only man ever to be picked twice as the first overall pick had a lifetime major league average of .236 and homered 13 times in 7 seasons. But tonight this pick appears to be a solid one.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.