White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2018, 10:38 AM
WSI Regular

Default Deal with the Devil

Welp, now that the writings on the wall, and itís apparent that the Sox were a bargaining piece all along in the Bryce Harper sweepstakes, we have two options for recourse. We can lay around and lick our wounds, or we can turn the situation into a positive.

Harper wants to play for the Cubs. The Cubs need to unload payroll and outfield space to get a deal done. Yes Jason Heyward has been a bust so far, but with solid defensive metrics and playing in a less pressure filled situation, I see no reason why he canít revitalize his career at the plate.

I say bring on his remaining 5 years/140 mill and a couple goodies on top like Ian Happ and a top 5 prospect. With a most likely defensively challenged Eloy expecting to unpack in a corner outfield spot for the next decade, it canít hurt to have a compliment on the other side who balls out and saves a few runs a year with the glove.

We wonít have any payroll restrictions for a few years, so why not take a shot on a guy who comes with extra help, instead of overpaying for bottom barrel free agents. Letís get it done boys....GO SOX!!!
Old 12-27-2018, 10:40 AM
WSI Prelate

I actually like the idea but here is my problem.

I don't like Happ in CF, he is a corner OF. So Heyward has to play CF in this situation and it lowers his value.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Heyward is a complete waste of money. Screw that.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:45 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Hell no on Heyward
Old 12-27-2018, 10:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Heyward is a complete waste of money. Screw that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Hell no on Heyward
I heartily approve of the posts above. No need to spend $140M on a sub-par player.

Next.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 12-27-2018, 10:49 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

The Sox didn't need Harper to begin with, with the outfield depth coming through the system. They certainly don't need Heyward.

I don't think it's ridiculous to float the idea, but the Cubs would have to come up with the equivalent of Eloy+Cease again for the Sox to consider facilitating this move. I don't think the Cubs have the goods.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:54 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Ive mentioned earlier heyward, chatwood, schwarber, happ and a prospect. Happ is versatile at of, 2nd, 3rd and 1st. Schwarber could of course be dh but could finally get his shot at 1st. Its also nice to have an emergency catcher on the roster. Chatwood is probably done but may be good enough as a 5th starter or go into the pen.

I see outfield depth being mentioned, until a prospect proves he can play, there is no depth.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:05 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Ive mentioned earlier heyward, chatwood, schwarber, happ and a prospect. Happ is versatile at of, 2nd, 3rd and 1st. Schwarber could of course be dh but could finally get his shot at 1st. Its also nice to have an emergency catcher on the roster. Chatwood is probably done but may be good enough as a 5th starter or go into the pen.

I see outfield depth being mentioned, until a prospect proves he can play, there is no depth.
Clearly you don't understand where good players come from.

I have even less interest in Chatwood and Schwarber than Heyward.

Price for taking on Heyward and facilitating a Bryce Harper signing should be Happ, Miguel Amaya, and Jose Quintana.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:12 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post

So you are suggesting the Sox acquire bad and mediocre players from the Cubs, add their inflated salaries to the Sox, take away playing time from prospects, and free up the salary so the Cubs could sign Harper?
Old 12-27-2018, 11:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Old 12-27-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Clearly you don't understand where good players come from.

Why dont you tell me where they come from because Ive seen none so far.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
So you are suggesting the Sox acquire bad and mediocre players from the Cubs, add their inflated salaries to the Sox, take away playing time from prospects, and free up the salary so the Cubs could sign Harper?

I only see one bad player player coming from the cubs, the others are better than what Ive seen on the Sox. Everyone seems to be so mesmerized by the Sox prospects, Im not one of them.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:24 AM
WSI Regular

What we have to realize is that our greatest asset at this point as a team is our ability to take on payroll. We donít have a storied franchise or star talent to entice free agents. What we have is cap space that teams can dump on us for the next 3-4 years before we have to pay our prospects.

Ya ideally Iíd like to just sign Nolan arenado next year, but guess what nobody wants to come play for us!! We need to keep collecting young assets and since we have no major league talent to trade for assets, our best bet is taking on bad contracts in exchange for future hope.

Once the youngsters come up together we have a way better chance at resigning them then competing w Yankees/dodgers/cubs/Red Sox for todayís talent
Old 12-27-2018, 11:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Did I miss something? Have the Harper or Machado signed with someone or at least officially taken the White Sox out of the running?

This thread makes it sound like the hunt for either of these players is officially over.

....and please don't quote me the same twitter/internet rumors as "news" and proof that the Sox are out of the running.

Last edited by GoSox2K3; 12-27-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm3312 View Post
Welp, now that the writings on the wall, and it’s apparent that the Sox were a bargaining piece all along in the Bryce Harper sweepstakes, we have two options for recourse. We can lay around and lick our wounds, or we can turn the situation into a positive.

Harper wants to play for the Cubs.

What is this nonsense? Harper wants to get paid, I'm thinking that it's time for many of you to get off Twitter or at least stop getting tweets from bored "writers" that want retweets.

Quote:
he Cubs need to unload payroll and outfield space to get a deal done. Yes Jason Heyward has been a bust so far, but with solid defensive metrics and playing in a less pressure filled situation, I see no reason why he can’t revitalize his career at the plate.

I say bring on his remaining 5 years/140 mill and a couple goodies on top like Ian Happ and a top 5 prospect. With a most likely defensively challenged Eloy expecting to unpack in a corner outfield spot for the next decade, it can’t hurt to have a compliment on the other side who balls out and saves a few runs a year with the glove.
Bad idea city. The Cubs have no top prospects left in their barren farm system. Heyward is bad and would be more bad in the AL, why would any GM take his bloated salary on?

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...