White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 07:53 AM
WSI Personality

If Adley Rutschman somehow fell to us it would be a massive coup for the White Sox. I've read multiple reports indicating his ceiling is a switch-hitting Buster Posey with more power. His hit tool is tremendous and he's very good defensively. Other than his speed it doesn't appear his game has any real holes in it which is a rarity for the catcher position.

I honestly don't think any of these rumblings are true, though. Rutschman is a consensus #1 and both Baltimore and KC would be stupid not to take him.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
If Adley Rutschman somehow fell to us it would be a massive coup for the White Sox. I've read multiple reports indicating his ceiling is a switch-hitting Buster Posey with more power. His hit tool is tremendous and he's very good defensively. Other than his speed it doesn't appear his game has any real holes in it which is a rarity for the catcher position.

I honestly don't think any of these rumblings are true, though. Rutschman is a consensus #1 and both Baltimore and KC would be stupid not to take him.
There are two players in the draft who fit our competitive window timeline and they happen to be the two best players in the draft: Rutschman and Vaughn. Id be ecstatic if Baltimore and Kansas City got cute/stupid and fumbled him to us. Id be satisfied if we got Vaughn. Id be mildly disappointed if we ended up with Witt. Id be glum if we used the third pick to reach for Abrams.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The problem is - There is a CLEAR top 2 talent in the draft, then Witt is in a class by himself at 3, and then there is everyone else.

I just don't think a team can make 2 top 4 picks in back to back years with both having next to no power tool potential or real chance to be a major game changer.
I get it, no real disagreement here. I'm still on board with Vaughn or one of the premium college OF.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Theres some scuttlebutt that the Sox are leaking an intent to draft Abrams in an effort to get the Orioles and Royals to re-evaluate their own draft boards.

At least, I hope thats the case.
Maybe, the Sox usually play it close to the vest. I tend to think a lot of the rumors are third or fourth hand information that the "experts" use to generate stories.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
There are two players in the draft who fit our competitive window timeline and they happen to be the two best players in the draft: Rutschman and Vaughn. Id be ecstatic if Baltimore and Kansas City got cute/stupid and fumbled him to us. Id be satisfied if we got Vaughn. Id be mildly disappointed if we ended up with Witt. Id be glum if we used the third pick to reach for Abrams.
My feelings as well, except that I dont think Id be disappointed with Witt. That said, I havent seen any of these guys play before, other than a handful of hand-picked videos online, and I only know as much as the few articles Ive read online on each of these guys tell me. Im not arrogant enough to believe that I know more about whats best for the white Sox than the people who do this for a living and have scouted these guys for years.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Me too, but if Rutschman and Vaughn go #1 and #2, Witt Jr is the best player left on the board so I wouldn't lose any sleep if they got him.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
With all due respect, do you have any idea what a hitch is? Assuming you are referring to Vaughn
Well you know what they say about assumptions.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Obviously, the Sox haven't yet 'hit' on any of college bats taken in recent drafts (still early). I made that observation earlier. But in fairness to them, only 1 was taken in the top 5 - Madrigal. Burger was #11, Sheets #49, and Collins #10.
Rodon #3
Fulmer #8
Burdi # 26
That's a lot of high picks over 5 years; and these are college guys, so some tangible production would be reasonably expected. You won't hit on all of them, or even most of them, but you should hit on some of them.
They need to do better than the above.

Back to the draft, what's the objection with Abrams other than KW likes him (and I think that's no more of an indictment, and probably less, than if Hahn and Hostetler like someone). He's a universal top 5 or 6. He plays an up the middle position. I think the top 4 are clear cut, and I'd rather him than a reach for a college hitter. And I personally would prefer him to Vaughn (short, unathletic, Hahn/Hostetler record with college hitters).
I read somewhere that Hostetler's now looking college pitchers for the pick. I trust that's not serious. Yes, the Sox are pitching short, but you just can't reach and succeed.

Last edited by Tragg; 05-24-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:00 PM
WSI Personality

I'm curious - with no trading of picks allowed in MLB, what is the advantage for a team to keep their intentions "close to the vest"? Is it all about negotiating leverage with the player? There seems to be very little reason for misdirection and subterfuge in the MLB draft. If the Sox came out tomorrow and said "we want Vaughn", do you think the Orioles and Royals are going to say, "hmmm... maybe we should take a closer look at this Vaughn kid"?
Old 05-23-2019, 12:18 PM
WSI Prelate

This pitching class, that lacks a true competitor for the top five, is really starting to look pretty awesome if youre sitting in the teens. Hopefully, one of them falls to our second pick, but it looks like the latter half of the first will be totally dominated by (mostly prepster) arms.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
I'm curious - with no trading of picks allowed in MLB, what is the advantage for a team to keep their intentions "close to the vest"? Is it all about negotiating leverage with the player? There seems to be very little reason for misdirection and subterfuge in the MLB draft. If the Sox came out tomorrow and said "we want Vaughn", do you think the Orioles and Royals are going to say, "hmmm... maybe we should take a closer look at this Vaughn kid"?
I think it impacts the market a lot. So Abrams start getting buzz at pick 3 versus 5, then his people start calling those top 2 teams and offering a below slot deal for more money. It makes all that more viable.

Lets Say Abrams is 3rd on the draft board for Baltimore, but they know they can save 3 mil by taking him 1, and put that to round 2 when a hard sign drops, and maybe they like that package more.

It probably does nothing, but it puts more guys in play if nothing else.

That said, Abrams is really fast, so I am sure Kenny loves him.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:49 PM
WSI Personality

https://twitter.com/soxmachine_josh/...403572225?s=21

Speaking of CJ Abrams
Old 05-26-2019, 04:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
There are two players in the draft who fit our competitive window timeline and they happen to be the two best players in the draft: Rutschman and Vaughn.
They are the two best college players in the draft. Rutschman appears to be the consensus best player in the draft. No interest in drafting for some timeline. I'll take the best player, which includes the athleticism. They've drafted college players several years in a row.

BTW, do we even know what that timeline is?
Old 05-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
They are the two best college players in the draft. Rutschman appears to be the consensus best player in the draft. No interest in drafting for some timeline. I'll take the best player, which includes the athleticism. They've drafted college players several years in a row.

BTW, do we even know what that timeline is?
Generally perceived timeline. I think you know what it is so please don't hijack this thread too,

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-26-2019, 08:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Pass on C.J. Abrams. I dont want to risk him going to Alabama and leaving us with no incoming talent from a #3 overall pick.
Closed Thread