White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2018, 09:01 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Send him down and he is with another team next year.

What is this other team you speak of? Sox would get very little at this point by trading him.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
And to think that I pay for MLBTV to watch this stuff. I've never been through anything like this in all my years as a Sox fan.
Neither have I. When you get older sleep doesn't come as easy as it once did. I struggled to stay awake last night and I'm in the Eastern Time Zone. Abreu's homer jolted me awake but I missed the last inning. Better for me I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanatlanta View Post
Drastic?

This kid has proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he is not ready for the majors.

Since when is sending down anyone in that situation, considered "drastic"?

No, I reject that narrative.

At this point, it's humane.
If his name was Joe Smith instead of Yoan Moncada fans would have been screaming for him to be sent down a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
More kvetching. Jeez, folks, just stop watching! You know you are getting a product you do not want or enjoy right now.
Don't stop debating, even criticizing but others have a right to call things as they see them.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Okay guys, I consider myself as a believer in being patient with Moncada. I totally get that a number of good MLB players struggled at first in the majors. I didn't have any illusions that everyone is like Kris Bryant and is instantly a stud after being called up, etc. etc. etc.

But, that being said, I'm starting to find myself on the ledge with him now. I see plenty of posters that are right there on the ledge with me and are probably yelling JUMP, but can someone talk me off the ledge here? I get being patient even into next season with him, but what's troubling to me is that he doesn't seem to be making any progress. If anything, it looks like he's regressing to me. I thought maybe he was starting to come around leading up to the all-star break, but post ASB, he's been brutal. Seems like the inability to swing at borderline pitches is really getting into his head. No doubt he's well aware that he needs to protect the plate more, but easier said than done apparently if it's a mental thing.

Also, given this team's track record with developing position players, are people confident that the coaching staff is up to the task of helping him get over the hump here to unlock his potential? I know I'll get blow back for saying this, but I'm not.

Finally, I'm open to the idea of sending him back down to AAA to get his head straight, but I don't know if that makes sense at this point in the season since the minor league ends in about 3(?) weeks. It doesn't seem to give him much time to work on his approach before Sept. 1.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Okay guys, I consider myself as a believer in being patient with Moncada. I totally get that a number of good MLB players struggled at first in the majors. I didn't have any illusions that everyone is like Kris Bryant and is instantly a stud after being called up, etc. etc. etc.

But, that being said, I'm starting to find myself on the ledge with him now. I see plenty of posters that are right there on the ledge with me and are probably yelling JUMP, but can someone talk me off the ledge here? I get being patient even into next season with him, but what's troubling to me is that he doesn't seem to be making any progress. If anything, it looks like he's regressing to me. I thought maybe he was starting to come around leading up to the all-star break, but post ASB, he's been brutal. Seems like the inability to swing at borderline pitches is really getting into his head. No doubt he's well aware that he needs to protect the plate more, but easier said than done apparently if it's a mental thing.

Also, given this team's track record with developing position players, are people confident that the coaching staff is up to the task of helping him get over the hump here to unlock his potential? I know I'll get blow back for saying this, but I'm not.

Finally, I'm open to the idea of sending him back down to AAA to get his head straight, but I don't know if that makes sense at this point in the season since the minor league ends in about 3(?) weeks. It doesn't seem to give him much time to work on his approach before Sept. 1.
I think he's got a case of the yips and appears to have a hitch in his swing. To me that means he's way overthinking it and that's is leading to a lot of bad at bats.

He definitely looks confused.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-08-2018, 10:17 AM
WSI High Priest

I see no value in sending Moncada down for 3 weeks. Does anyone think that is really going to help him and his development? That he is magically going to discover he needs to be a little more aggressive and somehow magically reduce his K rate over 3 weeks in the minors? Cause I don't.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
And to think that I pay for MLBTV to watch this stuff. I've never been through anything like this in all my years as a Sox fan.
You and me both.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:55 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
I see no value in sending Moncada down for 3 weeks. Does anyone think that is really going to help him and his development? That he is magically going to discover he needs to be a little more aggressive and somehow magically reduce his K rate over 3 weeks in the minors? Cause I don't.
Yeah, I don't see the point in sending him down either. As many problems as he has, it makes no sense to blow an option sending him down with 3-weeks left in the minor league season. Keep him up, hope he hits his way out of it, keep working with him and then if necessary let him start next year at AAA.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

On the upside, (yes I'm trying to take something positive from yesterday's loss) the Sox Pitching, especially Lopez looked really good last night, and Adam Engels' nightly robbery of a Yankee HR was something to behold.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/ad...er/c-289331960 <<<< Adam Engel commits Robbery!

I'm just trying to stay positve. I lived through the dark days of '68-'70. The '76 - '79 Sox with more losing than winning, the '87-'89 seasons and the White Flag trade of '97.

After each one of those painful periods the Sox had rebound years and would contend and play a good brand of baseball. Not always winning, but an occasional Division Title and a trip to the Playoffs.

Don't lose faith Sox fans, better days are just around the corner. I can feel it.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

I was at the game. It was a pretty good game all things considered. Outcome just sucked.

Watching Tim Anderson at the plate is just brutal. I didn't realize his OBP was so far south of .300, but after watching him bat I can see why. Watching him struggle to put down a bunt against a guy that tops out around 89 was especially troubling. I think at this point it's pretty clear he's not an MLB player. He's completely overmatched at the plate.

I'm very close to feeling the same way about Moncada. His batting eye helps keep him afloat, but man does he miss a lot of pitches. He might need to go down and redevelop his approach to provide more contact. He can't keep doing what he's currently doing. An OBP around .300 and a slugging percentage under .400 while leading the league in strikeouts is not even a major league average player.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Watching Tim Anderson at the plate is just brutal. I didn't realize his OBP was so far south of .300, but after watching him bat I can see why. Watching him struggle to put down a bunt against a guy that tops out around 89 was especially troubling. I think at this point it's pretty clear he's not an MLB player. He's completely overmatched at the plate.

Because of moncadas miserable year which keeps getting worse, attention has been taken off of anderson. This is his 3rd year in the majors and its getting real close to declaring him a bust. His improvement just isnt happening. The difference between the two is that the Sox are into anderson for 22M where they are into squat for moncada. Anderson will be around for awhile.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:44 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Watching him struggle to put down a bunt against a guy that tops out around 89 was especially troubling.
Bland: Remember though fundamentals don't mean a thing! (At least according to some...)
Old 08-08-2018, 12:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Because of moncadas miserable year which keeps getting worse, attention has been taken off of anderson. This is his 3rd year in the majors and its getting real close to declaring him a bust. His improvement just isnt happening. The difference between the two is that the Sox are into anderson for 22M where they are into squat for moncada. Anderson will be around for awhile.
Hes a fine 8 or 9 hitter for a good team. Hes not the, or even a, centerpiece of any club.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-08-2018, 12:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Hes a fine 8 or 9 hitter for a good team. Hes not the, or even a, centerpiece of any club.
He's a perfectly fine, solid, and unspectacular (if frustrating at times) Major League shortstop, with some room to be a bit more. I don't know what the deal is with some folks expecting every first round draft pick or decent prospect to be an All-Star. Anderson's going to be around for a bunch more years whether we like it or not so we might as well get used to his limitations.

Personally, I think there are better things to complain about than a 20/20 shortstop who happens to strike out a lot, but that's just me.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
He's a perfectly fine, solid, and unspectacular (if frustrating at times) Major League shortstop, with some room to be a bit more. I don't know what the deal is with some folks expecting every first round draft pick or decent prospect to be an All-Star. Anderson's going to be around for a bunch more years whether we like it or not so we might as well get used to his limitations.

Personally, I think there are better things to complain about than a 20/20 shortstop who happens to strike out a lot, but that's just me.
Well stated. Its people looking at things in a vacuum and bein impatient. The latter I understand. The former is annoying.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post

He went 0 for 6 yesterday, and his OBP is around .280