White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How worried are you about Moncada?
Not worried 19 20.65%
Somewhat worried 26 28.26%
Worried 20 21.74%
Very worried 20 21.74%
Only worried if he hates churros 7 7.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2018, 02:07 PM
WSI Prelate

This thread sucks.

/thread

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-08-2018, 02:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
If we don't hit on top elite prospects like Moncada and Giolito often enough, then this rebuild is going to fail.

I hope we all understand this.

And don't look to free agency as the parachute, we know that's not happening. Not for elite ML proven ballplayers at $200 million contracts. We'd be back to the patchwork days once again.
Exactly. Not every prospect is going to pan out, but you need a few of the top guys to pan out in a big way. One year into their major league careers, those two top guys have left us with question marks as to whether they're even MLB players, let alone stars.

We are not the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs. We are not going to be able to buy the core if we can't develop it.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Ramirez and Altuve never sniffed a top 100 prospect spot for any publication. Those guys were never expected to be this good.

Hate to keep reminding folks, Yoan Moncada was the #1 prospect in the entire game of baseball.

Think about this.

He shouldn't be making lists with names like Joey Gallo, Chris Carter, Mark Reynolds.
Which means jack ****. Keep reminding people though. For all the grief you give everyone else for sounding like a Cubs fan this isn't much better.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Exactly. Not every prospect is going to pan out, but you need a few of the top guys to pan out in a big way. One year into their major league careers, those two top guys have left us with question marks as to whether they're even MLB players, let alone stars.

We are not the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs. We are not going to be able to buy the core if we can't develop it.
This is utterly and completely ridiculous.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:16 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

If there isn't an original idea posted soon, this thread is being closed. I'm getting car sick.

This is a Groundhog Day thread.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
If there isn't an original idea posted soon, this thread is being closed. I'm getting car sick.

This is a Groundhog Day thread.
I'm not going to add anything to the discussion because just about everything has been said about Yoan in the last 2 game threads and this thread.
In answer to the poll, I'm very worried about him.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
I do not agree with this opinion at all. Why are the Sox not in a position to let players develop at the ML level? That's exactly the position they are in right now and exactly why they hit the reset button a couple years ago. This is the process. It's painful, it's ugly, it's difficult to watch but this is all to be expected right now. It seems like to me that people are trying to tie in their irrational fear of the White Sox being "irrelevant" to speeding up this process and claiming the Sox can't afford to be in this position. Which is just a bunch of bull****.
I know this poll will close, but this is an excellent post. I think we have an internalized pressure because of the Cubs. I have never seen a rebuild not take a while, and I have never seen each prospect be great right away. MONCADA IS OUR FIRST ONE. It happens.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
I know this poll will close, but this is an excellent post. I think we have an internalized pressure because of the Cubs. I have never seen a rebuild not take a while, and I have never seen each prospect be great right away. MONCADA IS OUR FIRST ONE. It happens.
Being a prospect isn't some blanket to detour warranted criticism. He's had a lot of at bats and has gotten considerably worse the more exposure he gets at the major league level. In that time he's made small adjustments but nothing that seems to stem his inability to make contact within the strike zone at a rate that will lead to success. He hasn't shown anything that would lead one to reasonably believe that success is on it's way, and continually saying "prospect" isn't a rational response to that argument.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:58 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm marking 8/8/19 on my calendar to bump this thread. In one year, much of this angst will look foolish.

277-241.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Recently, my anxiety level with him has increased with all the strikeouts. Let's hope he gets it together.
I'm worried about whether he's getting the proper coaching.
The last thing he needs is for someone to tell him to be more "aggressive." He just needs to foul off those close pitches that he doesn't like. He'll then start getting more calls tool.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:10 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I'm marking 8/8/19 on my calendar to bump this thread. In one year, much of this angst will look foolish.
For the sake of everyone let's hope you are right.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Being a prospect isn't some blanket to detour warranted criticism. He's had a lot of at bats and has gotten considerably worse the more exposure he gets at the major league level. In that time he's made small adjustments but nothing that seems to stem his inability to make contact within the strike zone at a rate that will lead to success. He hasn't shown anything that would lead one to reasonably believe that success is on it's way, and continually saying "prospect" isn't a rational response to that argument.
I get it, and your worries could be warranted, but that is not the point of my post. We have a long time to to before we are great, probably three to four more years, and Moncada is our first blue chip prosepxr out there. Many more are coming, so let's not concern ourselves too much with Moncada. Let it play out.

If ALL of them suck then we have problems. Bigger than the prospecrs.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm kinda worried now, but I'll hold off true judgment until I see how he finishes the year up. According to Renteria he's hit a wall of frustration with himself and now wants to swing at more close pitches to protect the plate more, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 08-08-2018, 04:00 PM
WSI Prelate

I voted for Somewhat Worried. Glad to hear some posters express high confidence that he'll be fine and find the worries to be silly. That's reassuring I suppose. I won't go that far. Moncada has really looked terrible post all-star break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
For the sake of everyone let's hope you are right.
Well said Lip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I'm worried about whether he's getting the proper coaching.
The last thing he needs is for someone to tell him to be more "aggressive." He just needs to foul off those close pitches that he doesn't like. He'll then start getting more calls tool.
I'm with you on that. Others may scoff at me saying this, but Sox management, coaching, and position player development over the years has given me little reason to feel confident that they have the competence to help get Moncada on track.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:30 PM
WSI Personality

I'm worried simply for the fact that I worry about the White Sox management overreacting to his struggles.