White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 12:33 PM
WSI Prelate

South Side Sox takes a closer look at Lenyn Sosa and Bryce Bush:
https://www.southsidesox.com/2019/5/...-30-lenyn-sosa

https://www.southsidesox.com/2019/5/...-25-bryce-bush
Old 05-18-2019, 03:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
He could be a decent utility player which will be useful. Another reason they need to move Leury, for what it's worth.
This is sensible. Thankfully Leury is playing reasonably well and has remained healthy. However, I had another thought.

As a switch hitter capable of playing any position other than shortstop, center field, and catcher, Michalczewski could help make the bench more versatile. But he’s the perfect utility compliment to Leury, who also is a switch hitter who is better at SS and CF than in the corners. So with a 26 man roster that begins in 2020, and with 13 pitchers, your 13 position players could be:

LF/DH Eloy
CF: Robert
RF: (Two among Cordell, Tilson, Booker, Basabe, Rutherford, Gonzalez)
3B: Moncada
SS: Anderson
2B: Yolmer OR Rondón to begin the season, then Madrigal when he’s ready
1B: Abreu
C/DH: McCann, Zavala, Collins
Bench: Leury, Michalczewski

This allows the Sox to rotate the DH among Collins (60ish), Eloy (80ish), and Abreu (20ish), which reduces overall defensive shortcomings. (The two OFs besides Eloy and Robert would essentially have 80ish starts to share in LF in addition to full-time RF duties to share.) Collins would only start about 30 games at catcher and would pick up another 20 or so starts at 1B when Abreu is the DH, and he’d sit entirely against LHP.

What say ye, Tragg?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
This is sensible. Thankfully Leury is playing reasonably well and has remained healthy. However, I had another thought.

As a switch hitter capable of playing any position other than shortstop, center field, and catcher, Michalczewski could help make the bench more versatile. But he’s the perfect utility compliment to Leury, who also is a switch hitter who is better at SS and CF than in the corners. So with a 26 man roster that begins in 2020, and with 13 pitchers, your 13 position players could be:

LF/DH Eloy
CF: Robert
RF: (Two among Cordell, Tilson, Booker, Basabe, Rutherford, Gonzalez)
3B: Moncada
SS: Anderson
2B: Yolmer OR Rondón to begin the season, then Madrigal when he’s ready
1B: Abreu
C/DH: McCann, Zavala, Collins
Bench: Leury, Michalczewski

This allows the Sox to rotate the DH among Collins (60ish), Eloy (80ish), and Abreu (20ish), which reduces overall defensive shortcomings. (The two OFs besides Eloy and Robert would essentially have 80ish starts to share in LF in addition to full-time RF duties to share.) Collins would only start about 30 games at catcher and would pick up another 20 or so starts at 1B when Abreu is the DH, and he’d sit entirely against LHP.

What say ye, Tragg?
This is Trey's fourth season in Birmingham and he still can't hit. (.675 career OPS there.) Sorry, but I don't see him getting a single major league at bat.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:07 PM
WSI Personality

Agreed with the above on Trey, he can't even hit minor league pitching.

Also don't think they will give another year, or even start of the year to the Sanchez/Rondon combo. They will get a vet or acquire an MLB ready 2b prospect that is blocked in the majors similar to the Tilson and Cordell moves, my vote is for Nick Solak from TB.

I see them also getting a corner OFer like a Starling Marte or Joc Pederson for a year.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Trey is disappointing, There was a time I really thought he would be our 1b of the future.

Glad to see Zangari back, he has lost so much time to injuries, still have a glimmer of hope for him, but his K rate needs to get better, but I expected a lot of rust.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:19 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Burdi and Hansen both pitched 2 scoreless innings today. Burdi had a WP and PB that allowed the inherited runner on second to score, but also had two K and actually recorded two assists and a putout also all at first.

Hansen has 3K and a BB.

Offensively Barons didn't do much. They scored once and only had 7 hits, but Gonzalez had two , Sheets had three and Rutherford had a double. So from the rebuild perspective it was an okay night. Robert was 0/3 with a walk.

At Charlotte. Matt Foster got shelled in relief both teams put up big numbers. Collins is back in action had a couple walks and a SF and as I noted in the Sox moves thread, Palka is absolutely killing things at present. He was 2/2 with 2 HR and 3 BB. His stat line is starting to look like something you'd see on Play Station.

The Dash won 3-1 Madrigal had a couple hits. Walker had a SF.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-19-2019, 12:35 PM

Konnor Pikington making his second start for WS today. Early in the game Madrigal and Walker both have hits already, but no score in the second.

Edit: Through 6 he's got 12K with 3 H, 0 R and only 2 BB allowed. He's at 93 pitches so chance he comes back out.

Last edited by voodoochile; 05-19-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:19 PM

Interesting, Robert is not playing in Birmingham today either. Just gonna toss this total rumor out there, maybe he's being promoted to AAA to take Eloy's spot?
Old 05-19-2019, 05:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Interesting, Robert is not playing in Birmingham today either. Just gonna toss this total rumor out there, maybe he's being promoted to AAA to take Eloy's spot?
I doubt he’s getting the call up to AAA this early. He wasn’t exactly dominating like he was in WS. My guess is this is just a regular day off.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Konnor Pikington making his second start for WS today. Early in the game Madrigal and Walker both have hits already, but no score in the second.

Edit: Through 6 he's got 12K with 3 H, 0 R and only 2 BB allowed. He's at 93 pitches so chance he comes back out.
Thanks to the Birmingham park effect, it seems like a pretty easy step up for a pitcher from Winston-Salem -- far easier than it has been for the hitters. Battenfield had another good start for the Barons today. It wouldn't shock me to see Pilkington finish the season in Birmingham. However, he's only 21. (Battenfield is 24, Kubat 26.)
Old 05-19-2019, 05:58 PM
WSI High Priest

With Robert, injury is always a possibility.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-19-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
With Robert, injury is always a possibility.
Only if you're homefishing for an explanation.

He PR late in the game was forced out at second though.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Burdi and Hansen both pitched 2 scoreless innings today. Burdi had a WP and PB that allowed the inherited runner on second to score, but also had two K and actually recorded two assists and a putout also all at first.

Hansen has 3K and a BB.

Offensively Barons didn't do much. They scored once and only had 7 hits, but Gonzalez had two , Sheets had three and Rutherford had a double. So from the rebuild perspective it was an okay night. Robert was 0/3 with a walk.

At Charlotte. Matt Foster got shelled in relief both teams put up big numbers. Collins is back in action had a couple walks and a SF and as I noted in the Sox moves thread, Palka is absolutely killing things at present. He was 2/2 with 2 HR and 3 BB. His stat line is starting to look like something you'd see on Play Station.

The Dash won 3-1 Madrigal had a couple hits. Walker had a SF.
Quote:

Great outing for Pilkington in his 2nd start in High A. Also, encouraging stats from Burdi and Hansen (except for the PB and WP).

One of the key questions about Burdi is whether he'll recover his 100 mph fastball. I haven't heard much about that. I believe the in his outing the other day, he was reported to hit 96 mph. I haven't read about what the time frame is for pitchers to typically fully regain their velocity after TJS.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Great outing for Pilkington in his 2nd start in High A. Also, encouraging stats from Burdi and Hansen (except for the PB and WP).

One of the key questions about Burdi is whether he'll recover his 100 mph fastball. I haven't heard much about that. I believe the in his outing the other day, he was reported to hit 96 mph. I haven't read about what the time frame is for pitchers to typically fully regain their velocity after TJS.
My guess is next year he'll be as back to normal as he can be, maybe later this season. Most major surgeries expect a year after the "return to action" date to really see the outcome, IMO, but I am NOT a doctor and I don't even play one on TV.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:16 PM

Only game was WS and they won. Madrigal had two hits and a double and Walker had a hit. Christian Castillo went 6.2. He's a bit old and probably just minor league filler/depth but he's still got a small chance at least based on his stats, but he's never done much before so it's a very small chance.
Closed Thread