Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2019, 09:39 AM
WSI Personality

This team has legitimate pieces to contend in the very near future. Eloy will make his star turn in Ď20. This is just his Ďget your feet wetí year.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
He's just one in a long list of lifers. Is he still blowing the whistle?
One of the many reasons I hope Vizquel is manager in 2020 with HIS handpicked coaching staff- not the coaches that KW or Hahn dictate. I still don't understand the manager not having 100% say in picking his coaches- it's management 101- hire good people, empower them to do their job, focus on removing obstacles that get in their way, etc.

I don't want the front office choosing the manager's staff- I want the manager building their staff as they see fit.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Tim Anderson 4-for-6
Yoan Moncada 3-for-5
Jimenez 1-for-1 before injuring himself but not badly

A wonderful night for the rebuild.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 04-27-2019, 10:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Anderson is back over .400 and leading the league in steals. In spite of his slow start, Abreu now has 24 RBI -- second in the league.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 5-2
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

282-243
Old 04-27-2019, 10:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Anderson is back over .400 and leading the league in steals. In spite of his slow start, Abreu now has 24 RBI -- second in the league.
Which shows just how irrelevant the RBI stat has become. He compiled those RBI because of how good Anderson and Moncada have been in front of him. Itís more of an indicator of how good those guys have been than it is of how good Abreu has been.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Which shows just how irrelevant the RBI stat has become. He compiled those RBI because of how good Anderson and Moncada have been in front of him. Itís more of an indicator of how good those guys have been than it is of how good Abreu has been.
Abreu has been on fire the last week and put up a huge chunk of numbers. His OPS is .948 and would be even higher if he hadn't run past Tim last night.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-27-2019, 11:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

Well, yes. It shows he is driving in those guys, so I would say it is a good indicator of how well Abreu is doing.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
One of the many reasons I hope Vizquel is manager in 2020 with HIS handpicked coaching staff- not the coaches that KW or Hahn dictate. I still don't understand the manager not having 100% say in picking his coaches- it's management 101- hire good people, empower them to do their job, focus on removing obstacles that get in their way, etc.

I don't want the front office choosing the manager's staff- I want the manager building their staff as they see fit.
I agree; but, unfortunately, I doubt it happens that way. We'll be lucky just to get Vizquel in the dugout.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:23 AM
WSI Prelate

I was driving home from a book sale Friday night when I checked to see how the Sox were doing. I saw the Sox were losing 10-9 with runners at first and third and one out and saw Abreu homered to make it 12-10. When it became 11-10 with two outs, I told my wife (who was driving) that Abreu probably passed Anderson on the bases and the Sox would lose by one run.

Losing by one run was what the Sox did on a night in June 1977 when Ralph Garr passed Jim Essian around first base after hitting an apparent three-run homer in Minnesota in the third inning of an eventual 7-6 loss. I was driving in Modesto one afternoon in early 2010 (I think, I really wasn't following the game) when I turned on the Giants game and heard Jon Miller talking about a Sandoval play, saying that hadn't happened since Ralph Garr had done it in a game in 1977, so I know Sandoval passed someone on the bases after an apparent home run, but I wasn't following the game.

Last night, I knew there were other possibilities. The run could have become an out on appeal after Abreu missed home play. Carlos May was called out for missing the plate after an apparent three-run homer in the second game of an opening day doubleheader in 1971. And Abreu could have been called out at home on what first appeared to be an inside-the-park home run, but that seemed unlikely. My first guess was Abreu passing Anderson.

It's totally Abreu's fault. It's a dead-ball situation. You just have to touch all the bases and not catch up to anyone in front of you. (Touching home actually is trickiest because it's recessed, but it's a dead ball and you have time to look and feel for it.) The only thing I can figure is that Abreu was too involved with fist pumps or whatever to pay attention to keeping a safe distance. The first base coach is focusing on the runner at first. But many fans prefer to blame coaches and mangers.

This may have been a fun game. It was a game that bad teams lose. And certainly the White Sox deserve a lot of credit for coming back from a big deficit. There was some good, but too much bad. But there were two bad teams playing. I was thinking on I-580 at the Altamont Pass that White Sox baseball is growing so tiresome.

And for what it's worth, and not to blame Renteria, although I think he lacks a focus on winning, if the White Sox want to replace him with Omar Vizquel, they may have to do it this year in-season. I gut the feeling that he could get multiple job offers in the off-season.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Out of the thousands of games that i've seen in my life, that was one of the craziest . after all this time, i can still see things happen on the field that i've never seen before . what a great game baseball is . Anderson and Moncada are both in the top 10 in the Al in batting ave, and Abreu would be 2nd in rbi's if not for that snafu . and fully expect Jimenez to be up there at some point . the offense could make this season fun, at any rate.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
Out of the thousands of games that i've seen in my life, that was one of the craziest . after all this time, i can still see things happen on the field that i've never seen before . what a great game baseball is . Anderson and Moncada are both in the top 10 in the Al in batting ave, and Abreu would be 2nd in rbi's if not for that snafu . and fully expect Jimenez to be up there at some point . the offense could make this season fun, at any rate.
Irrelevant. All that matters is launch angle with a dash of exit velocity.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:50 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Rodon was terrible for sure.
Fulmer only walked 1 in 3 innings and struck out 5. Is there something to work with there? Last I saw him pitch, he was trying to paint the bottom of the knee but he didn't really seem to have great stuff even when throwing strikes.

And Rondon has been quietly having a nice season.
Rodon's last four starts at home have been awful. very strange.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:55 AM
WSI Guru

Loved Ozzie on the post game show last night. When the host said, "Ricky's boys don't quit..." Ozzie made a face and said, "I hate that phrase because it means you are always behind and having to come back to win games."
Old 04-27-2019, 12:05 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Well, yes. It shows he is driving in those guys, so I would say it is a good indicator of how well Abreu is doing.
Yea I donít get why some people are so dismissive of RBIs. At the very least itís suggestive that a hitter is pretty good with runners in scoring position, which is a useful asset for a team.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-27-2019, 01:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I was driving home from a book sale Friday night when I checked to see how the Sox were doing. I saw the Sox were losing 10-9 with runners at first and third and one out and saw Abreu homered to make it 12-10. When it became 11-10 with two outs, I told my wife (who was driving) that Abreu probably passed Anderson on the bases and the Sox would lose by one run.

Losing by one run was what the Sox did on a night in June 1977 when Ralph Garr passed Jim Essian around first base after hitting an apparent three-run homer in Minnesota in the third inning of an eventual 7-6 loss. I was driving in Modesto one afternoon in early 2010 (I think, I really wasn't following the game) when I turned on the Giants game and heard Jon Miller talking about a Sandoval play, saying that hadn't happened since Ralph Garr had done it in a game in 1977, so I know Sandoval passed someone on the bases after an apparent home run, but I wasn't following the game.

Last night, I knew there were other possibilities. The run could have become an out on appeal after Abreu missed home play. Carlos May was called out for missing the plate after an apparent three-run homer in the second game of an opening day doubleheader in 1971. And Abreu could have been called out at home on what first appeared to be an inside-the-park home run, but that seemed unlikely. My first guess was Abreu passing Anderson.

It's totally Abreu's fault. It's a dead-ball situation. You just have to touch all the bases and not catch up to anyone in front of you. (Touching home actually is trickiest because it's recessed, but it's a dead ball and you have time to look and feel for it.) The only thing I can figure is that Abreu was too involved with fist pumps or whatever to pay attention to keeping a safe distance. The first base coach is focusing on the runner at first. But many fans prefer to blame coaches and mangers.

This may have been a fun game. It was a game that bad teams lose. And certainly the White Sox deserve a lot of credit for coming back from a big deficit. There was some good, but too much bad. But there were two bad teams playing. I was thinking on I-580 at the Altamont Pass that White Sox baseball is growing so tiresome.

And for what it's worth, and not to blame Renteria, although I think he lacks a focus on winning, if the White Sox want to replace him with Omar Vizquel, they may have to do it this year in-season. I gut the feeling that he could get multiple job offers in the off-season.
Omar would be my second choice, I want Girardi ASAP, someone who would bring a winning attitude to the team unlike the culture of losing under Renteria. I'm not blaming Renteria for the whole mess since we are still in rebuilding mode but he's just not that good of a manager.